Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 570 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to start any "H-D snob" wars here - just curious about the H-D culture. How are the owners of the entry level Sportsters treated by the owners of the bigger, more traditional H-D's?

I have not ridden street bikes in 25 years, and I am thinking of getting a Sportster to reintroduce myself to the street ride. I would love a Softail but common sense tells me that a smaller bike is a better learning tool in addition to being less expensive.

I have owned certain cars for example where the elite "look down" on us "little people" that did not own the fancy version of the car. Is there a similar attitude among H-D owners?

Again, I do not want to start an argument. Just curious about what I might expect.

Regards,

Kim Nicholas

·
Registered
12 Posts
there will always be those who like to rip on and talk trash about the sportys....for example...i just bought a 09 1200 custom in december. we were at a chistmas dinner with the wife side of the family, and sure enough the harley talk started. she has 2 uncles that ride and a friend of the family that rides but has no bike at the moment.

the first thing that came out of his mouth when he heard i bought a sporty was...." you bought a girl bike" in a very ignoutant tone. ya yada yada was just spilling from his mouth..and i said "dude if i wanted a windsheild,fairing, and a radio i would have bought a new car.....plus i dont plan on filming a episode of CHips in the furtre" he shut right up.

I know damn well what i bought yes its my first harley...but not my first time riding or owning a bike. I dont plan on heading to florida on it. hahahahaha

If the bigger twin guys want to look down at us sportys then let them i guess....i didnt buy mine for anyone but me.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
It's your $, buy what you like and ride what you buy.

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
I bought a sporty because it's light easy to handle in tight quarters, I have a bad shoulder & back. Do wish I'd gotten a Dyna they don't weigh that much more. I need to work this out as to whether I should replace with bigger or stay where I am. From what I've been hearing ride smother. So if some one wants to poke fun have at it. I bet if they were in my shoes they would be in the corner whimpering like a puppy. I buy and ride for me, no one else if I don't feel I can handle the bike on any particular day it stays put. My Dr. rides also he said I should stay with a sporty, but he didn't think I'd recover as much as I have, sooo my choice, as it should be yours. :ride happy stay safe

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
My first HD was a sporty, about 6 months ago.
Yeah a few people had [email protected]$$ comments to make, but none that I haven't heard b4.
Since then, I also bought a fatboy, I still like my sportster better. Yes, on a long ride, or when my wife is with me, the fatboy is a more comfortable ride, but the sportster is more fun, faster, and more "me"

buy the bike you like, if someone else doesn't like it, Who cares!!!! Ask them what they started out on. almost anyone that would be a hardass about a sportster is just an RUB, prolly can't get on a bike without first polishing their HD boots, putting on their wrinkle free HD T-shirt, buffing their new $400 leather jacket, and dawning their flawless $60 HD sunglasses, all that just to ride to the dealership to have someone else change their oil cause they don't even know where the drain is.

Yeah, I own a few Harley shirts, only one of them isn't completely faded and tattered, that's cause I got it for Christmas. Sure, I own a pair of square toed Leather riding boots, but they are also damn near worn out as I have worn them almost daily since 1998. I am not saying there is something wrong with wearing traditional Harley gear or Advertising T-shirts, but many newer "bikers" take it too far in an attempt to make themselves feel like a "true" biker.
I don't care if you ride a sporty, a dyna, softail, or an Ultra, if you are riding to enjoy riding, than do it and if someone has a problem with it, show 'em some anatomy to kiss.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have had both and love my nightster. IMO anyone who wants to rag on sportys obviously have a low mentality, and believe me there are alot of 'em out there. Welcome to the site.

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
Ive ridin sportys to florida had a blast lane splitting and down right hammering it.It took everything I gave to it and brought me home land barges get over rated somtimes Ive had 5 sportys and want every one back.

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
there will always be those who like to rip on and talk trash about the sportys....for example...i just bought a 09 1200 custom in december. we were at a chistmas dinner with the wife side of the family, and sure enough the harley talk started. she has 2 uncles that ride and a friend of the family that rides but has no bike at the moment.

the first thing that came out of his mouth when he heard i bought a sporty was...." you bought a girl bike" in a very ignoutant tone. ya yada yada was just spilling from his mouth..and i said "dude if i wanted a windsheild,fairing, and a radio i would have bought a new car.....plus i dont plan on filming a episode of CHips in the furtre" he shut right up.

I know damn well what i bought yes its my first harley...but not my first time riding or owning a bike. I dont plan on heading to florida on it. hahahahaha

If the bigger twin guys want to look down at us sportys then let them i guess....i didnt buy mine for anyone but me.
[a friend of the family that rides but has no bike at the moment.]
I bet if someone offered him a deal on a sporty he'd snap it up in a second

·
Registered
1,297 Posts

i agree with ya that i bought my sporty for myself and not what they like!!as far as the girls bike comment,who fffing cares!! I own a cr-500 that weighs 243 pounds and puts out 72 hp the power to weight ratio is a hell of alot more than their bigger twin bikes and so much harder to ride !most people can`t even ride these beasts let alone race them in a begginners class !!! so before they call it a girls bike they want to take some time to think before they talk!! #37 expert level x motocross racer district#7

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
People will always find a reason to rip on something, no matter what. People with V-Rods get ripped on because they're water cooled. People with sporties get ripped on because they're "Girl's bikes".

If Harley made another bike tomorrow that was slightly different then the norm, people would find a reason to rip on them.

Sporties are smaller, lighter bikes that fit the bill for some owners. It is commonly owned by women, because of its size. It's also commonly raced because of its size/weight. It's also most people's first Harley, due to the lower cost and gross availability.

It's a lot of things to a lot of people. It was my first Harley.

I always guessed that people that made fun of Sporties, had one themselves, and got shit for it from someone once.......

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
My first Sporty no one ripped on it heres a pic of it.Screw em if they dont like it cause they dont understand it.This pic was takin in 83 Had a bike before a car 1957 K model .

·
I'm your huckleberry
3,010 Posts
xr750 has always been my favorite hd. Thought about building a clone. Love the xr1200. but my plans are to build a smaller bike for my honey. So far my plans are to find a buell and ride it myself for a yr. Then build a custom using the buell parts. I never understood the girls bike part and still don't. Ride what ya like. I've been told by a sportbike buddy I shoulda just bought a sporty since the duece has the narrow front end, and been told by a HD buddy it's not a real HD because of the balanced engine and japanese trans. Ride what ya want/can/afford, just ride. Can't hear'em talkin if your riding anyway.

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
Very few have anything derogitory to say, most like the sporty. But i ain't never been one to give a damn what others think.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
When I owned my Sporty in the mid-90's, I had a guy ask me, outside of a bar, how I liked riding a "girl's bike".

I told him that it was actually a gift from the Warden of the State prison where I did 10 years for biting off another man's nose, after he insulted me.

He didn't seem to be as interested in asking me any more questions.....

It was in Harrington Deleware, outside a strip-club, near the racetrack for flat track racing, north of Dover.

Here are the 2 that I've built and owned....

·
Registered
340 Posts
I just bought my bike two months ago, a Heritage. I didn't buy it to feel macho or belong to an elite group. There are certainly bigger and more expensive bikes out there. I bought it because I couldn't stand not having the wind in my hair any longer and I bought a Harley because I have always wanted one but could never afford one before. I am now retired and comfortable and by god I was going to get me a Harley.

I don't care what you are riding, a Harley, a Vespa or a skateboard with a model airplane engine strapped to it. I will smile and wave to you as we pass on the highways...........:thumb

By the way; man do I love my bike.................:woo

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
xr750 has always been my favorite hd. Thought about building a clone. Love the xr1200. but my plans are to build a smaller bike for my honey. So far my plans are to find a buell and ride it myself for a yr. Then build a custom using the buell parts. I never understood the girls bike part and still don't. Ride what ya like. I've been told by a sportbike buddy I shoulda just bought a sporty since the duece has the narrow front end, and been told by a HD buddy it's not a real HD because of the balanced engine and japanese trans. Ride what ya want/can/afford, just ride. Can't hear'em talkin if your riding anyway.
The xr-750 is my favorite as well !! you can buy a complete turn key xr-750 -1200 bike or get the parts to do so from storz performance inc.they have everything you`ll need to do the converstion! steve storz is the man who sold the rights to harley-davidson to be able to manufacture the new xr-1200 !! check out his web site !!thats where i bought my dirt track style pipes for my 09 nightster !! :thumb

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
I just bought my bike two months ago, a Heritage. I didn't buy it to feel macho or belong to an elite group. There are certainly bigger and more expensive bikes out there. I bought it because I couldn't stand not having the wind in my hair any longer and I bought a Harley because I have always wanted one but could never afford one before. I am now retired and comfortable and by god I was going to get me a Harley.

I don't care what you are riding, a Harley, a Vespa or a skateboard with a model airplane engine strapped to it. I will smile and wave to you as we pass on the highways...........:thumb

By the way; man do I love my bike.................:woo
Damn straight!

1 - 20 of 570 Posts