Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all, other than the picture looks real nice.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Hey Mike, Good to hear from you! Hope your winter time mods are going well. Since you asked, here's a report I wrote up...

--------

Except for a quick journey down the street in front of the dealer and riding the bike into the trailer four days ago, this is the first ride! How often does one read a report from an inaugural ride? Icy weather prevented any riding until today... and still had to coast through a couple of black ice sections. Early this morning while others slept, while the driveway was frozen (Better than when the sun warms the ice and permafrost, turning it wet/muddy/slick), I snuck out of the house for the first ride. Brought the camera. Here's the neighborhood.

Paused along the 1/2 mile driveway. About 1/4 mile to go to a county dirt road. Someone on the anal side of the spectrum (Like me), with a driveway like this, and a bike like this, can have their mental challenges... but find adjacency to the National Forest worth the routine clean-the-bike tasks...

If you're wondering how the driveway is kept clear, 61" so far this winter, the mighty thing from J-D helps...

Made it to the county dirt road. Mt. Logan is in the distance. Big game is in these woods. Neighbor saw a mountain lion along the driveway. Once surprised a redtailed hawk on the driveway with a rabbit in its talons. It labored to lift off with the rabbit but nervousness with the bike had it dropping its prey right next to me. Have a video of a bear going to town with a hummingbird feeder next to our house this summer. Elk, mule deer, turkeys, bobcats, etc. routine. When the driveway is plowed after fresh snow, one can see their tracks. When there is no snow, one can see the tracks of the big twin...

Arrival at a highway about five miles away. Pausing above the Platte Canyon with the Platte River Mountains providing the backdrop. It is here where the digital camera AA batteries crapped out. One pic taken...

So I get batteries and top off the tank in the nearby town of Bailey. Practice working with that cool recessed gas cap. It is cold here in the valley/canyon. Maybe less than 30 degrees. Up ahead where I'm going the road is in winter season shade and shadows. Be smoooooooth on this cold, dark section of the road. Don't you just love poster sized temp tags?

On the other side of the canyon the valley opens up a bit. Pausing at the high school. Do you recall the Colorado school hostage situation/shooting late September? This is the school. Happened on the second floor to the far left. My two youngest were here when it happened. My sophomore daughter was in the classroom directly below the hostage classroom. She knows well the six girls who were hostages. The community is close, and has become closer...

From the same spot looking up the valley towards the next stop. The large Aspen grove below the ridge in the distance is the result of a long ago wildfire. Many Aspen swaths and forests can trace their beginning to a fire clearing out the dense pines.

History and honor I don't take lightly. Have paused here more than a few times. Bailey VFW Post 8661. It is an active post with a community sausage, biscuits, and gravy breakfast the first Sunday of every month. If in the area on that Sunday, stop by for a killer breakfast.

Looking towards the southern slopes of Mt. Logan...

And finally, on the chip and seal county road taking me back from this first ride. The fingertips are feelin the cold! Rosalie Peak in the distance - 13,575ft. Sweet bike, sweet ride, sweet memories from only a 25 mile ride. The memory ledger wouldn't have had a deposit if instead the 25 miles were spent in a heated vehicle with the radio on. Zzzzzzzz.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Beauty bike Steve. For some reason I thought it was gong to be blue, but, the black is perfect.
I bet, cold fingers or not it was hard to point it home after such a short ride.
Once you have ridden it for a while I'd be interested in your take on the power and the six speed. For that matter anything about the bike you like or dislike. Till then ride on Brother.
Be smooth.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Beauty bike Steve. For some reason I thought it was gong to be blue, but, the black is perfect.
I bet, cold fingers or not it was hard to point it home after such a short ride.
Once you have ridden it for a while I'd be interested in your take on the power and the six speed. For that matter anything about the bike you like or dislike. Till then ride on Brother.
Be smooth.
Yeah... the black is a great contrast to the chrome.

You know, I couldn't tell too much between the 88" and 95" cubes I had with Heritage over the years, but can tell there's something potent between the knees with this 110". Duh, I guess.

Really liked the SE six speed I dropped into the Heritage. Smooth, quiet, never missing a gear. Jury still out with this six speed cruise drive. Finding neutral a real challenge if not moving. Hoping this is just early break-in characteristics.

Will have other thoughts after a few more miles... the backrest, the stock exhaust, the low profile/rear suspension, the FI, the low windshield, the new security system, etc. and etc. Much of this never had on a H-D before.

PS. BTW, this new security system is high tech. Once I walk away from the bike more than eight feet or so, the bike is armed automatically. No one can start it even if the ignition lock is on. It can't be moved without warning alarms. Should have seen my surprise when I put it in the garage. Went elsewhere in the house, put the key away, returned to the garage to move it. Serious alarm alerts! meaning I can't even move the bike around without the key in my pocket! Have to read up in the manual on this. Surely there is someway to disable? though not sure I will.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Steve, Thanksfor the great pics again. I don't think I ever mentioned that at one point in my life I had gone so far as having a deposit on a dorm room at Colorado State! I love the mountain pics. I wish I took more when I was there, but I was in such a zen-like riding trance, I was unable to stop.
Thanks for the headsupon the Bailey VFW! Never been to bailey. Looks like a nice place to go to for a little while.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah... the black is a great contrast to the chrome.

You know, I couldn't tell too much between the 88" and 95" cubes I had with Heritage over the years, but can tell there's something potent between the knees with this 110". Duh, I guess.

Really liked the SE six speed I dropped into the Heritage. Smooth, quiet, never missing a gear. Jury still out with this six speed cruise drive. Finding neutral a real challenge if not moving. Hoping this is just early break-in characteristics.

Will have other thoughts after a few more miles... the backrest, the stock exhaust, the low profile/rear suspension, the FI, the low windshield, the new security system, etc. and etc. Much of this never had on a H-D before.

PS. BTW, this new security system is high tech. Once I walk away from the bike more than eight feet or so, the bike is armed automatically. No one can start it even if the ignition lock is on. It can't be moved without warning alarms. Should have seen my surprise when I put it in the garage. Went elsewhere in the house, put the key away, returned to the garage to move it. Serious alarm alerts! meaning I can't even move the bike around without the key in my pocket! Have to read up in the manual on this. Surely there is someway to disable? though not sure I will.
Sounds pretty nice, I'd try Amzoil after breakin. It made a huge difference on my bike. It slips into neutral now alot easier. Never miss a gear and it just feels like it is working better.
The alarm systems on those bikes will take some getting used to for sure, but, it sounds like they are doing there jobs.
Ride on and enjoy. With any luck you just may be able to ride on Xmas day if you can find the time. For the first time I can remember it looks like no snow for us on the 25th. The lake in front of our house usually has ice thick enough that the icefishermen and sledders are out there by now, but, not this year. I've got friends that say they are going fishing in boats this Xmas.
Global Warming.
Should probably sharpen the lawnmower blades, just in case.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
On a side note Steve. As you know I live in Northern Ontario. the week before Xmas is usually cold and snow covered, with ice on or forming on most lakes.
Not this year. My bike is in the garage with the rear wheel off, but if it weren't I would have joined some of my local buddies for a spin Sunday.
I live on a point across from one town. I could here bikes running towards the other town at the end of the bay.
I went for coffee at about noon and found a dozen bikes, mostly HD's at the coffee shop. Real strange for this time of year.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
On a side note Steve. As you know i live in Northern Ontario. the week before Xmas is usually cold and snow covered, with ice on or forming on most lakes.
Not this year. My bike is in the garage with the rear wheel off, but if it weren't I would have joined some of my local buddies for a spin.
I live on a point across from one town. I could here bikes running towards the other town at the end of the bay.
I went for coffee at about noon and found a dozen bikes, mostly HD's at the coffee shop. Real strange for this time of year.
Amazing Mike. Our lakes in the mountains here are frozen. I sometime keeps track of when a nearby five acre lake thaws in the spring. Sometimes gives me a sense for the coldness of the winter. May is typically when it is ice free. I found your place on a map once. How large is the lake you're nearby?

I was on a ride Saturday. 23f when I left home. Yee ha! Before we know it, it will be spring.

Didn't you tell me you have or work with John Deere tractors? Trying to remember given my fading memory. Ha!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm on Lake Timiskaming or Temiskaming depends on the map. English, French and Metis in this area.
It's about 60 miles long and 6 miles wide at the wide point in the North right in front of my place. The point I'm on is 3 miles from the far Ontario shore, the town of Haileybury. The Hardy Boys novels were written there. Woo Hoo!
I'm three miles from the Quebec main land to my east and three miles from an Island straight south of me which is in Quebec. It's not the great views that you are used to but it's spectacular for these parts.
The lake usually is frozen over now , but, not this year. Early May and the ice is gone.
Yes, I have a couple of John Deere tractors. Nothing as new as your beauty, but, they seem to be pretty good units. I have a 20 odd horsepower diesel all wheelsteer mower ( I mow at least 10 acres), and a 310 backhoe. The hoe is around thirty years old, but I always say "you can get a hell of a lot more work done with an old backhoe than you can with no backhoe". Handy and very relaxing .

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Mike, I just get a kick out of number and size of lakes (lacs?) in your area. Found it on a map. Cobalt and New Liskeard nearby? Looks like nice fishing in every direction from your place.

Want to mention my passion for reading was hatched from reading Franklin W. Dixon Hardy Boy's books! I read every one through about #52 but believe more have been released since then. How about that. #3 came as a Christmas present once and I was hooked. Was easy for my mom to come up with presents for me :).

Speaking of mom, she thinks the Harley is cool, but she thinks the J-D is REALLY COOL.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lots of lakes for sure. Fishing is of coarse very popular. The locals are starting to cry the blues cause there's no ice and they can't put thier shacks out. Soon there will be hundreds on the lake here at my place.
As far as the Hardy Boy's books go I'll see what I can find out and let you know if there are more than 52.
Northern Ontario "yours to discover". If you ever get the chance, I'm available for a good ride anytime, as I don't actually have a regular job. Been retired from the work force since I was 40, earning a living as a landlord.
I'll email you some pics of the area when I get a chance.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Steve, How does the Exhaust sound?

So Steve,
How does the Exhaust sound? Is it too Quiet? Man, What a Beautiful Bike!!!
Come on Spring time!!!

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
So Steve,
How does the Exhaust sound? Is it too Quiet? Man, What a Beautiful Bike!!!
Come on Spring time!!!
VROCK... So far don't mind this stock note. Know I'm in the minority but the low and deep tone is OK with me for now, during this break-in time. And it does look very good. At 1,000 miles I'll have a decision to make.

So is your name still on a special bike to arrive soon?

BTW, two feet of snow today and it is still coming down! Soon as it's over will plow the driveway then count on the solar intensity here to enable getting out in a few days!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yup! CVO coming

VROCK... So far don't mind this stock note. Know I'm in the minority but the low and deep tone is OK with me for now, during this break-in time. And it does look very good. At 1,000 miles I'll have a decision to make.

So is your name still on a special bike to arrive soon?

BTW, two feet of snow today and it is still coming down! Soon as its over will plow the driveway then count on the solar intensity here to enable getting out in a few days!
Ya Steve,
Still have a Red Jester coming! And I am so excited I can hardly wait! Originally was supposed to be here Christmas, Now Dealer says Jan 20th.
I am going to keep mine stock for at least the first 1-5K As far as pipes.
Just in case there is a warranty (Engine ) Issue. And I have heard that the exhaust will get somewhat louder over time. As all exhausts do naturally.
I do not want anything very loud anyway for touring. Just a Nice low HD Rumble. I might put slips on later. Maybe V&H Ovals or Hookers. Other than that , My Mods will be mostly Cosmetic. Chrome etc.
Man, What a gorgeous place you are Lucky to live in!!! Nice Maiden Voyage
Pics. And I love that black RK CVO! Wish you the best of luck with it!:dance

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Great... the Red Jester!

I'm thinking the V&H True Duals and Ovals as well... but have plenty of time and no sense of urgency with this at all.

Also, in a stroke of minority thinking... will probably keep this thing very close to the original CVO appearance. But this is me.

Very anxious to hear about upcoming arrival. Only a month from now!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Beautiful bike Steve, congrats. I've been drooling on a red SE RK at my local dealership, now when they see me coming, they just hand me a drool rag. The black SE though, is the most stunning, looks best with all the chrome, again, very nice bike. You have a nice set of bookends with your black VRSCDX.

And, I'm impressed with your excellent ride reports/pics, I've read several of them now, and they are outstanding.

Barry

1 - 18 of 18 Posts