Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did it just go out ? how did you know it was the stator ? was it intermediate ? did your check engine and battery light come on ? did your volt meter take a dive ? how hard is one to replace ? did you think it was the stator and it ended up being something else ?... just fishing for some first hand info on the subject .......thanks Lake....

·
Registered
827 Posts
my stator (02 FLHTC-I), it went out slowly as I was heading across country. I got a lower than normal reading from the gauge 12v, then later 11v, indicating that my battery ways having to be used to run the bike. Switched to a 3-phase unit. rotor, voltage regulator and stator. Around $700. California Phil in Kansas, (I know, I don't understand either) is the guy to call. He is the ninja jedi master. Good luck with your project.

·
Super Moderator
12,736 Posts
Hey ya Craig, They can go slowly. Most guys think it's the battery, replace it, then they think it's the voltage regulator, replace it... then they replace the stator. My buddy just made 3 trips to the shop and I told him stator right after the battery replacement. He didn't listen to me.

The manual will help you check it with an ohm meter. You can do it. You'll need a couple special tools and for heaven's sake, the manual! Can be done in a few hours.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Hey ya Craig, They can go slowly. Most guys think it's the battery, replace it, then they think it's the voltage regulator, replace it... then they replace the stator. My buddy just made 3 trips to the shop and I told him stator right after the battery replacement. He didn't listen to me.

The manual will help you check it with an ohm meter. You can do it. You'll need a couple special tools and for heaven's sake, the manual! Can be done in a few hours.
:eek It is just amazing what one can learn from reading the Service Manual . :eek

:biker:

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,130 Posts
open the derby cover... you can smell em when they burn up... no missing the smell

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Double post deleted.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Did it just go out ? how did you know it was the stator ? was it intermediate ? did your check engine and battery light come on ? did your volt meter take a dive ? how hard is one to replace ? did you think it was the stator and it ended up being something else ?... just fishing for some first hand info on the subject .......thanks Lake....
Yes. To all. My problem turned out to be a stripped rotor (flywheel)
★Credit to Schmidty!

(PM me for details if you're interested)

--

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a service manual, stripped rotor,flywheel?

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Splines will strip in the rotor . Rotor under load will not turn correctly .

Mine would only charge when the bike was underway and in gear with driveline under load. The compensator would pinch it and make it turn with the crankshaft. At idle or revving in neutral the rotor was not being driven and would not charge. The splines were stripped due to the compensator nut loosening up.

--

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will have to read the manual...I'am still lost...don't know shit about anything behind the primary...

·
Registered
140 Posts
When the stator is going out the volt meter will show the bike charging when first started cold. Then as the stator warms up the volt meter will show the voltage dropping slowly to about 10 volts and it will hold around 10 volts. In most cases the volt meter will not jump or fluctuate if the stator is going bad it will just drop. At 10 volts the bike is running off the battery and it will soon die leaving you broke down on the side of the road.
The first sign of a Voltage Regulator problem in most cases the volt meter will fluctuate showing high or low voltage then returning to normal.
There was a recall on the VR on the 2012 touring models so check and see if your bike was included in the recall.

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's what mine is doing... Runs up about 14 volts then jumps way down, then the check engine light comes on and then the battery light... Then in a few minutes it jumps back up to about 14 and the check lights go of..had my voltage reg replaced under warranty ..its a 2012 Ultra?

·
Super Moderator
12,736 Posts
Sure sounds like a stripped rotor. Good time to go into the primary and check the compensator nut too.

When you drain the primary, check the end of the plug for metal on the magnet. If there is metal, something went wrong.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Stripped rotor doesn't stink like a fried stator.

--

·
Banned
71 Posts
Alright, we have five stripped rotors and only one fried stator , anyone want fries with that ?????? :dunno

·
Just Ride
3,255 Posts
I'll have a chocolate shake.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Alright, we have five stripped rotors and only one fried stator , anyone want fries with that ?????? :dunno

Don't put that evil on me. I'm not calling it yet-- just mentioning possibilities.

--

1 - 20 of 33 Posts