Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This upgraded rear seat was on my bike when I got it -

Does anyone have suggestions on what I need to do to get the slack out?

I am a newbie and don't even really know how to remove the seat.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Just Ride
3,025 Posts
A knife. One of the first things to go on any of my bikes is that strap.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Yup. Ditch the strap. Was probably the first thing myself, and anyone else does after buying a bike with a seat strap. :thumb

·
Registered
36,705 Posts
In Texas, it's the law to have a strap on? :what?

·
Super Moderator
12,503 Posts
Yeah, that's one way of putting it....

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/politics-government/article5244969.html

Malorie’s law

The final piece of HB3838, known as Malorie’s law, will take effect Thursday, requiring motorcycles designed to carry more than one person to have handholds and foot pegs for the passenger.

The overall law, which deals with training and license requirements for three-wheeled motorcycles, is named for Malorie Bullock, a 19-year-old from Sherman killed in 2010 in an accident near Campbell, about 90 miles northeast of Fort Worth.

The Texas A&M University-Commerce student was riding on the back of a motorcycle when it swerved off the road to avoid hitting a truck that had pulled in front of it, reports have shown.

“Malorie was wearing a helmet that did her no good when it was knocked off by the road sign she hit as she rode on that elevated seat,” according to a post written by a person who identified herself as “Malorie’s grandmother” on the Facebook page for Malorie’s law. “We are weary of seeing all the preventable injuries and deaths on our roads and hwys. Just trying to make a difference.”

Much of the law — such as a ban on passengers unless the motorcycle is designed to carry more than one person — is already in effect.

“I pray that this small change in the law will make people think before getting on the back of a motorcycle and placing your life in the hands of someone else,” according to another post on the Facebook page. “I pray that the person driving the bike will have enough thought about the ones they place behind them to care if they are trained properly and the bike is equipped properly. I also pray that those of us driving cars watch out for those on motorcycles. Please be safe.”

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/news/politics-government/article5244969.html#storylink=cpy

Yeah, a hand hold would have saved her... my @ss. If she had a strap to hold on to, her head would have been removed from her body and she would be just as dead. Stupid non-riders snuck this one right past us.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,048 Posts
That strap looks like it may have been added by the previous owner. If it's not required by law in your area, you won't find it very useful, and I think the sissy bar makes it redundant anyway. On the softail seat there is a screw to remove at the rear of the pillion, then it slips back from the 2 slotted nuts holding the driver seat down. Remove those nuts, then lift the rear of the driver seat and pull it back from the tank to remove it. You will probably have to remove the sissy bar first. It's probably quick detach, but some sissy bars are bolted on.

Some softail seats have the main bolts at the sides, screwing into the frame. With that setup, the pillion may be attached to the underside of the driver seat and the whole thing comes off together as a unit.

In any event, it's not hard to remove the seat.

--

·
Registered
36,705 Posts
Yeah, a hand hold would have saved her... my @ss. If she had a strap to hold on to, her head would have been removed from her body and she would be just as dead. Stupid non-riders snuck this one right past us.

Even if a strap could possibly somehow keep a passenger from being ejected from the back of a motorcycle.... that article doesn't say that she was separated from the motorcycle... :dunno

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree with everyone on the (non) usefulness of this strap -

I am glad to know about Mallorie's strap on law - this bike came from Texas so that explains why it was on there

·
VA Fender Bender
5,549 Posts
if you remove the seat and rear pillion the strap will slid off and you can save it if needed.
seat removal is very simple.

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
I dont know why everybody hates the strap so much. If the initial impact does not completely rip the strap off while you are holding on to it you will get to enjoy the bike pounding you into the ground while you hold on to it while flipping and rolling.

Dont threaten me with a good time.

·
Registered
10,714 Posts
My GF uses the strap, makes her feel secure, but she is getting better. Uses both hands when taking pictures on the road. On my Softail the strap is bolted to bike under the seat. Little tricky getting seat off/on without removing strap. Have used strap to help tie items to bike.

·
Super Moderator
12,503 Posts
Saw "Harley" FB post (that was removed really quick) of a gold plated male genitalia that some guy planned to mount for females to hold. Poor taste, but I got his message.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Stupid non-riders snuck this one right past us.
Never heard of it until it was about 3 days from going into effect. On mine all I have to do is unscrew the passenger seat and slide it right off the bolts. Takes about 1 minute and no knife necessary.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts