Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting for my bf. He has an Ultra Classic Harley Davidson. I had lost his bike key while I was wearing his jacket and his bike was locked, it was his only set of keys and now his bike is stuck in the lock position. He bought a whole new ignition to see if he can remove the old ignition and install the new one but because the ignition is locked it's been impossible to get the old one off. Does anyone have any tips on removing the old ignition WITHOUT the key. Everything I find online explains how to remove it with the key. I'm hoping I can help with some tips at least since I'm the one that lost his keys! 馃檮馃槪

Thanks everyone!

Just Ride
Write down vin # and have Harley get you a new key

Registered
Be prepared to prove the bike belongs to your bf. Bill of sale, registration etc.. Maybe call dealer service dept. before trudging down there and ask them what you need to do.

Registered
Yep, dealer can get you new keys from the VIN, but you will need proof of ownership. Also on the handle part of the key there is a number stamped on it. Any locksmith can get you a key if you have that number.
Always keep two keys on separate rings, just in case you loose one you always have a spare!

Sent from the secret underground bunker

Retired citizen
I would call a locksmith to come over to pick the lock so you can get it out of the locked position. Next go to a dealer and order a new set of keys from the bike VIN. In the mean time be careful to keep the switch unlocked.

Reactions: WiSeNhEiMeR

Registered
I'm posting for my bf. He has an Ultra Classic Harley Davidson. I had lost his bike key while I was wearing his jacket and his bike was locked, it was his only set of keys and now his bike is stuck in the lock position. He bought a whole new ignition to see if he can remove the old ignition and install the new one but because the ignition is locked it's been impossible to get the old one off. Does anyone have any tips on removing the old ignition WITHOUT the key. Everything I find online explains how to remove it with the key. I'm hoping I can help with some tips at least since I'm the one that lost his keys! 馃檮馃槪

Thanks everyone!
does it have a fob as well as a key. Iwould see if your local dealer can help as the key is fairly generic and would be easy to substitute. Other option is a lock smith it will be pretty easy to open.

Registered
Like others have said, just order a new key. It's the cheapest and easiest solution. Dealer just needs the VIN and proof of ownership (bill of sale or DMV title). I just recently ordered and received new keys for my bike and the paperwork part was super easy. Ordered online and just emailed them photos of the key code, VIN, and copy of the DMV title.

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

Retired citizen
Also if the selling dealer is known they have a record of the original key code. The code is recorded at new vehicle setup.

Reactions: WiSeNhEiMeR
1 - 11 of 11 Posts