Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far most of my riding has been done on the streets (and now freeways) of the big city. I plan on taking some road trips into the countryside. Not, more than a few hundred miles at once, but I would like to get some distance between me and the city in there. I test drove a Road Glide this weekend and the whole fairing/windshield thing was made very clear, however, I just got this Street Bob, and I don't have money for a windshield right now.

That being said, I'd like to hear from others about what is a typical ride, in terms of miles, on a non-windshield/non-fairing HD.

Thanks,

Vincent 1966

·
Registered
257 Posts
So much depends on the weather. Had a 2003 Road King that I regularly road without the windshield, but did have good eye protection. Couldn't sit it at 75 mph mile after mile but a 400 mile day was easy. When it gets dusk and the bugs come out.......that's another topic altogether.

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
Either ear plugs for wind noise or a full face helmet. Did 440 miles in one day without plugs or ff helmet. Won't do that again.

·
Screw it, let's ride
290 Posts
I can ride all day without it. I've found that a comfortable seat and riding position is more important to riding comfort than whether or not a windshield is present.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A full face Helmer could help with making longer trips easier
Amen on that brother! During my extremely limited riding experience, I can't tell you the number of times bugs and other debris got stuck to or deflected from my full face helmet! Without it, my face would've been the recipient of all of what nature has to offer. :bikerguy:

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
A lot depends on helmet weather and your age when I was young man I never had a wind shield but no I seldom remove it now except for washing and cleaning it and the bike
and yes good seat and riding position trumps wind shield IMHOP

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm a windshield rider as well. With that being said I'll day drink bar to bar once or twice a year w/o my windshield. I don't think I'd do any interstate distance w/o it.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
After having my windshield on my WG for a few months, I took it off and went down the freeway. Then I put it back on and it's been on ever since.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Rode 400 miles from NJ to NC on Sunday and will be making the return trip Thursday evening. Like someone else said riding position is good and having a good seat.

·
Registered
42,157 Posts
I've ridden mine from Wichita KS to Los Angeles, and from Wichita KS to Dallas TX.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I think how fast is more the issue versus how far. Leisurely cruising at 40 mph for hours takes less of a toll on you versus 30 minutes going 70 mph.

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,788 Posts
+ on what buckanear007 and ape hanger posted, When younger and didn't know any different rode all over the place without. I know that seat and riding position is key...but I have to throw in the windshield with it now!

·
2009 Softail Custom
294 Posts
I ride a Softail Custom, it is very comfortable, I dont use a windshield or fairings, but I always use a modular helmet with a Sena headset for music. I can ride all day long, even in the twisties. I rarely ride the interstate with my bike I would take the truck if going on the interstate. I am 65 and in ok health. After an all day ride, 45 to 65 MPH all day I am tired at the end of the day, but am always ready to do it again the next day. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I choose function over form always. I love the look without the shield, but I get beat to hell without it.

·
Administrator
13,278 Posts
Typical? 70 miles a day round trip for work. I have a few 300 mile days on the Dyna with no windshield.

I have an electra glide too. The fairing, backrest and radio are nice on the longer trips, but wind fatigue doesn't really bother me on the Dyna.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I had never had a windshield on a bike before I bought my first H-D, a Heritage. I rode it with the WS installed for a month or so before deciding to leave it off after a wash to go gas it up one day. It's about 6 tenths of a mile to the gas station from my house. I rode it there and back and decided that was too far. I haven't ridden without a shield since.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think how fast is more the issue versus how far. Leisurely cruising at 40 mph for hours takes less of a toll on you versus 30 minutes going 70 mph.
If I take my SB to work, I'll start off doing 30, then 45 mph for about 15-20 mins. Then I'll hit the freeway for about 60-70 for about 30 mins. In between time, I am no more than 45 mph. Rinse and repeat going back home. The wind does not bother me on my Street Bob at those speeds and distances. It did on my 883 Iron, but I traded that in on the SB. So to work and back I am thinking easily less than 75 miles as far as distance.

I'm basically in Houston, TX. My first "big HD adventure" might be from Houston to Hempstead, TX which is about 50 miles one way. Then, maybe Bellville, TX which is about 75 miles one way. I am building this up, since I am highly un-experienced in riding. Both locations have freeway, highway, 70 mph speeds and probably down to 35 mph speeds.

Finally, I might be signing up for the local HOG riding group here in Houston, TX. So I am really just trying to get a feel of what to look forward to and when to start collecting cans so I can get a windshield. I don't think it is a matter of if but a matter of when for me. :bikerguy:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts