Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of painting not the headers but just the covers?
Will give it a go myself and realise the covers will get hot but how hot is hot?

·
Retired citizen
23,348 Posts
They're called "heat shields" but they're actually on the headers to cover the discoloration that occurs to the headers during heat cycling.
The shields get just about as hot as the headers themselves because they are mechanically joined to the headers via screw clamps.
Just barely touch the shields for a micro second and you'll lose some skin.
Something like barbecue paint or VHT might hold up to the heat on the shields. Powder coating or ceramic coating would be the best.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I painted my exhaust pipes with High Heat black engine paint 2000 F stays black looks good. Make sure it is 2000 F WARNING do not use regular spray paint. I tried it and had to re strip the pipes. After using the 2000 F start it up run it a bit let cool and repeat. They will smoke some until they cure then No smoke and look good

Attachments

·
Registered
751 Posts
Ouch!

My buddy painted his pipes with high temp grill paint when he didn't have the money to replace the pitted pipes on his bike. It looks so good he just decided to leave it, and not replace with new.

You do have to follow the instructions though. I believe he painted them, ran the bike to get them hot, let them cool, and then give them another coat. I think he than let it run for about 20 minutes to cure the paint.

His still look perfect 2 years later.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
So effn hot melts a microfiber cloth in an instant. Not recommended use when checking oil hot on a Softail.
Another reason I never wear low cut shoes or boots. Just a quick bump into a hot pipe will get you right thru your jeans. Don't even thing about any polyester crap around hot pipes....

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I picked it up at Lowes but I think auto zone or advanced might carry it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts