Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the cruiser world I started on a honda cbr250
I tried my neighbours honda shadow vfc 1800 and loved it
I'm really interested in the iron 883 is there any problems with the bike or any mods I should consider

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
No problems with it. But as you are totally new to H-D, go ride one before making any decision. The iron, and Harley's in general are great bikes, but quite a bit different from your experience with the couple of Honda's. You really might want to ride the Dyna's, which are much more akin to the Shadow.

·
Asylum Inmate
11,664 Posts
They are a lighter bike so if you do highway driving they get blown around a little more than the heavy HDs.

Dynas are a good match but I would also look at the softtail. From around town to long miles they are comfortable.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I came from sport bikes to a 2013 883 sportster iron I love the thing. It is really light but I'm used to get blown around on the parkways. As for Mods sky's the limit. It's all up to your personal tastes.

Good luck in choosing your new ride.

Phil

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
Try before you buy, as others have said. A sporty is a great bike. I'd consider a 1200 though, most get bored with the 883 and punch it out.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'm new to the cruiser world I started on a honda cbr250
I tried my neighbours honda shadow vfc 1800 and loved it
I'm really interested in the iron 883 is there any problems with the bike or any mods I should consider

Have a look through the Sporty section for a tonne of information. So far on my Iron I've changed to a stage 1 and better headlight. Suspension can be considered below par along with the comfort of the seat. Ride one for a whole day for a proper assessment.

Andy

·
Earth-bound Misfit
624 Posts
The Sportster is actually a great platform and the 883 is a super "little" motor. The new rubber mount bikes are very easy to live with and extremely durable. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Sporty to almost anyone.

That being said, you do want to test ride one and see if its a good fit for you.

If I were buying a new 883 Iron today (with what I've learned over the past 2 years of ownership) I'd consider the following accessories. Order and priority are an individual taste.

1. A set of Progressive Suspension 412 rear shocks. The Iron has a lowered suspension with very limited travel in the rear. The ride can be harsh on many surfaces. A set of good shocks will make a world of difference. I went with 12.5" ones (about 1.5" longer than stock) giving me some much needed travel and ground clearance, but even stock length 11" ones will improve the ride of the Iron.

2. An aftermarket air cleaner/filter set up (yes, even more critical than mufflers!) will allow the little motor to breath better. There are lots to choose from, but the best in terms of air flow are the Heavy Breather/Force Winder type 90 degree tubes with a cone filter on the end.

3. If you get a better air cleaner, you'll want some sort of enrichening device to compensate for the added air intake. There are lots out there of varying cost and value. The best of the ones I've used is the Power Vision Tuner from DynoJet. It isn't cheap and it takes some effort to master its use, but it is so worth it. I've seen stock 883 motors pick up an honest 40% increase in output with just an air cleaner, a good exhaust, and a good Power Vision tune. That's cheap horsepower! If Power Vision (or a similar tuner) is too much for the budget, you can get decent results using some V-IED's from Nightrider Products. They aren't as good as a real tuner, but they are cheap and easy to use.

4. Some pipes...come on, you were going to do it anyway. You don't need a whole system, some slip-ons will work fine. Just remember: in the real world you want some back pressure, so stay away from strait open mufflers and drag pipes. I've used RUSH mufflers on my Sporty (1.75" baffles are good and not too loud.) If you live somewhere where noise is an issue, Harley Screaming Eagle Street Performance slip-ons sound better than stock and are "street legal."

There you have it. Pleasure spending your money and good luck in your search.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wait doesn't Vincent and Hines have a tuner with there exhausts I want the staggered short shots in black
Oh I have another question does any have la rosa saddle bags I really like the rustic brown ones

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I came from sport bikes to a 2013 883 sportster iron I love the thing. It is really light but I'm used to get blown around on the parkways. As for Mods sky's the limit. It's all up to your personal tastes.

Good luck in choosing your new ride.

Phil

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Which one do you like more you sportser or you sport bike, what bike did you use to have if you don't mind me asking

·
Registered
227 Posts
I came from a 2008 Honda CBR 1000RR its really considered a super bike not so much a sport bike, I had the bike for 2 years and loved it every minute of the each of the 12,000 miles I put on it. But it killed my back and the wallet.

The sportster definitely doesn't have the power that I am used too but I don't need to go 1 million miles an hour anymore. The sporty is great on gas, loves my back, my wife loves the bike, and no more cops staring at me when I ride down the street other than admiring my new ride. All in all it was a great decision on my part.

Plus almost forgot no more $800 a year for insurance now its just $150.00 for full coverage. :)

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Ok, I called the dealership and they do accept test rides for 16 if the have insurance reference like my trucks and an endorsement, I'm so excited :)

Go 1200. Really... just do it. Buy used by new...don't care. Just go 1200. If you're worried about its speed then you will always be left wondering... who wants to wonder... My 1200 can run up to 110 no problem, 120 if I push it and maybe more than that. That's is some damn good speed for a stage 1 Sportster!!

Just my .02

·
Registered
604 Posts
By comparison my 883 is working hard at 100 and the aerodynamics have just about beaten the grunt. Breezes, lying flat on the tank etc. really come into play.

Andy.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
The 883 isn't sluggish! Don't listen to all the bunk about no power, etc. GO RIDE ONE YOURSELF! Then decide if you like it. The 883 will run all day at 75-85 mph with no problem,( I do it all the time), will run over 100 mph and is dead reliable.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Picked mine up about 2 weeks ago now, and I love it! It's a great sportster. Of course it's not as powerful or as nice as the big boys, but it has no problems off the line. Fits me well because im 5'6" and 180lbs. It's small, fast, and easy to maneuver. For around $500-700 you can get the 1200 kit and it'll be even faster than stock 1200 because it is geared lower, however your overall top speed will drop. I will be doing that as soon as I get the extra cash.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The 883 isn't sluggish! Don't listen to all the bunk about no power, etc. GO RIDE ONE YOURSELF! Then decide if you like it. The 883 will run all day at 75-85 mph with no problem,( I do it all the time), will run over 100 mph and is dead reliable.
I second that. Would you say a GT mustang or Camaro SS is sluggish? The 883 runs the same ET in the quarter as them cars and comes off the line even harder. I have yet to meet a car on the streets that feels froggy enough to beat my 883 in a road race. 883 gearing launches the bike hard IF and thats a big IF you know how to ride a bike. Anyone who gets a sluggish launch with an 883 will get the same launch from a 10200cc bike. If you ditch the obese rear tire it flicks into corners and twists even better.

At 100mph a 1200 wont be faster, and even at 85 you will get in trouble some day so uber speed is inane if you are a rider.

If its an image you seek, then ignore everything I said and get what makes YOU happy! Dont worry about faceless people in the interwebs. People in person, who cares what they think because chances are you wont like their bike either.

Have fun and whatever you get show us some pics....

Keep the rubber side down brother and be safe.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts