Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I had a little eye-gouging party over on the V-Rod forum with a couple of the usual "airhead" bashers, I mentioned having both V-Rod and Traditional air-cooled Harleys. Afterwards, more people than I would have thought spoke up as being owners of both types of bikes, including our own lovely Diamond Lil.

Anyway, I was rather suspecting that there may be a surprising number of people who "..OWN BOTH VERSIONS of the Harley World, (and have the sophistication to appreciate the difference,).."

The reason I'm interested is because I am sick and tired of the perceived great and hostile divide between the two branches of the Harley family, I'd really like to find that the number of people who enjoy both is larger than the few snarling brats that never get tired of ridiculing us "Airheads."

These rants are exceedingly nasty and personal, we "Airheads" are fat inbred illiterate knuckle-dragging mouth breathers. If I can't come up with a better plan, I'm may have to suggest that we go over and beat the living tar out of a few of these guys, and burn down their clubhouse.

I'd love to find a clever term, acronym, or symbol to indicate in our signatures that we ride both types of bikes, as a reminder that there isn't really such a great divide.

·
Steve
262 Posts
I have one of each.

2002 RKC
2003 VRSCA

I too tire of the constant air cooled/water cooled threads. I appriciate each bike for what it is.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I use to have a Springer and a 883 Sporty. Sold em' cause I never rode them after I bought my VR.:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
springer and v rod here. Had the V Rod first (my first HD). Like each bike for what it is, neither is better than the other.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Until the VRSCB sells, there are two sweeties in my life. :dance

You bring up a good point about the hostility. I often wonder if it is the same attitude that lets us talk trash to each other when it comes to pro sports. We speak those words as if there is nothing to lose by saying them. Regarding the rides the banter over it all however, often seems to turn into something more ugly. Those of us with both are truly bridging the divide between tradition and technology in the motorcycling world. I think that is one of the reasons the V-Rods have not sold in tremendous numbers. The motorcycle itself is an attempt at being that bridge. It takes a certain kind of individual to fit in the divide.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Different bikes

I own a V-Rod, a Classic and a Road King Custom.
All three are different rides with different features and benefits.
Usually, bike bashing is about jealousy. But the best solution is to buy and ride both instead of trashing the other guy.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
I had an '02 VRSCA along with my '99, my TLR's, a Hayabusa and a host of other machines. Like children, they were each special in their own unique way.

Rants are stupid.

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts
I did have two for alittle while, I had a 03 exotix cycles and motor werx, when I bought the V I never rode the other and I sold that to pay off the V so I have no payments. I do miss it at times, maybe some day I'll have two again

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
I never got too excited about all this. I'm kind of looking forward to seeing the big water-cooled, V Twin in a touring frame. I guess it will depend on how it is all done.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The snarling brats that so vehemently defame "Airheads" are equally disrespectful
of all things Harley Davidson, usually.

I believe they are really contrarian sport bikers, who decided they could feel more elite
than most already arrogant punk narrow minded sport bikers are, by getting a V-Rod
so they could bash Harley AND feel superior to sport bikers to boot.

The one punk who started the squabble over there also tee'd off on:
- assless chaps are extra gay.
- chrome is gay.
- anything to do with bikes that isn't black.

I'm betting he's been riding for less than 5 years, only rides bar to bar, and rides in tennis shoes.

Disrespectful. That's the crux of these punks. No respect for tradition, for other riders,
in the end, no respect for themselves.
Their self esteem is dependent on sticking their finger in someone else's eye, handily enabled by the anonymity of the internet.
I'm betting they'd keep their alligator mouths shut in a biker bar, lest their canary ass gets cooked.
Very sad specimens, IMHO.

Badly in need of an attitude adjustment.:bat

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ok, I'm going to show just how green I am......:(
I know that the V rod is a very powerful Harley and thanks to this thread I now know that it is water cooled as opposed to air cooled. Here's where I get green.....how are they different otherwise? I mean, my suzuki was a 650 and my lowrider is 1450 so I get that it's a bigger bike but it's still the basic concept of a bike. Isn't this just quibbling over little details? :eek:

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts
I know that the V rod is a very powerful Harley and thanks to this thread I now know that it is water cooled as opposed to air cooled. Here's where I get green.....how are they different otherwise? I mean, my suzuki was a 650 and my lowrider is 1450 so I get that it's a bigger bike but it's still the basic concept of a bike. Isn't this just quibbling over little details? :eek:
that's about it in my opinion. I've always had harleys or custom built bikes, but many of my friends ride other brands, my brother has a yamaha warrior. I've never bad mouthed any of them for what kind of bike they choose to ride (well maybe my brother, but all in good fun) I think it's just that people are loyal to whatever kind of bike they have so they try and make all other bikes not sound as good as they think theirs are.

and just for some more edjeecation in case you want to know, the Vrod is a 1130cc or the new 1250cc.

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts
oh and one thing that I hear all the time when people saying "that's not a harley" is because of the sound. I really miss the traditional "potato potato" sound of my past bikes, the Vrod doesn't sound anything like that because of the watercooled revolution engine.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a 2002 VRSCA and a 2007 Road Glide. I like them both, but for different reasons. Not sure why anyone would diss either bikes, jealousy I suppose. I just rode the Road Glide over 250 miles yesterday the 1st. Probably the last ride for a few days since the cold weather has come in.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I never got too excited about all this. I'm kind of looking forward to seeing the big water-cooled, V Twin in a touring frame. I guess it will depend on how it is all done.
If and when it happens, it should be interesting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a VROD but if I was TOTALLY financially irresponsible I would have a Road King too.
Tricked out by Klock Werks of course!
The whole thing is stupid...on both sides of the fence.
I say just respect the guy/girl for riding a MOTORCYCLE....should not matter what it is. :ride

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I posted in that thread as did most of you, to defend the Airheads and for the first time felt a bit ashamed of my VROD family. I dont even own an aircooled Harley but I post here because I own a Harley and feel a kinship with all Harley riders. Really with all riders of any brand. Like starzzz if I had some additional cash I would also have a Streetglide.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts