Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 softail with 50,000 miles at what point should I consider rebuilding the motor? She runs strong now no issues. Just preventive maintenance.

·
Registered
Mr. James
917 Posts
When preventive maintenance no longer keeps things at bay, then rebuild. If nothing is wrong then leave it alone. For now. Then drop in a 131 and have even more fun!

·
Just Ride
3,499 Posts
Last of the evos, proper maintenance it will go another 100k.

·
91 FXLR
71 Posts
If it's broke Fix it.

50,000 miles is not a lot when that Engine was designed for high mileage. I got a friend with 127,000 on his EVO and His Base Gasket just started to leak. So he's going full bore upgrades.

If you rebuild it just for Fun I would recommend either using the Old Tappet Blocks and Tappets or if you go to new I would highly recommend you use S&S Cycle Chrome Tappet Blocks, Tappets and Adjustable Quickee Pushrods. On Adjustable Pushrods when you move the Flywheel to TDC Mark to install them before you do the install take Cable ties and Lock the Foot brake down to keep the TDC Mark for front Cylinder in the Center then adjust them 4 full turns. Do the Rear Cylinder at TDC the same Way. Other wise you will hear a very bad Tapping Sound.

·
American
27,854 Posts
50,000 should be just broke in if well maintained.

Reactions: Oldhand

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a ‘04 FLHTCUI purchased new. Engine is still stock. Only minor (expected) repairs. All work, except for normal service, has been by a
H-D dealer. In June of 2011 went to Alaska, with a trailer. 36 days & 9500 mi later had 130k mi. on speed o. Today I have 229k mi. on odometer. Still very good runner & if chance To go back would not hesitate to load up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree with the others. I believe in oil changes and properly maintained. But really compression testing from time to time and oil consumption is the way to check the top end out. I have a 2002 with over 130k and a 2015 with 60k. Exhaust and re-tuning is all I have ever done with the 2015 the motor never has been opened. But I had a 2011 before the 2015 with 45k that I put Cams/cam bearing, HV Oil Pump and Pistons in because of a motor noise. The pistons looked worst from that bike with 40k than the pistons I pulled out of my 2002 with 110k on them.

Piont being change the oil, fix whats broke...buy Gas(y)

·
Registered
166 Posts
My '03 had over 110 k on her when I sold her. Took a trip from Chicago to the east coast at 98k. Never thought twice about it. depending on the weather she did start to use a little oil when it was really hot out. No other issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 99 softail with 50,000 miles at what point should I consider rebuilding the motor? She runs strong now no issues. Just preventive maintenance. View attachment 791743
I owned a 1999 night. train. At about 20k miles I bored out the top end and new Hi compression pistons and V&H two into one with a tuner. That is all at did to it the whole time I owned it as far as engine upgrades. At 147,400 miles my lower end took a crap. So to answer your question, your engine will last as long as you don't mess with it too much and keep the maintenance up. That Evo was one hell of an engine. And by the way, I sold that bike with the blown engine for 10,000 after owning it for 8 years.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts