Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like this superstition, I may have to get one of these.

I've seen the small bell, subtle and almost hidden, hanging low to the ground.
I'd put one on the inside of the front frame downtubes. Cute legend.

When you see a "ride bell" on a biker's motorcycle, you should know that it's more than just a pretty decoration. Ask any rider, and they'll tell you the tale of the mysterious Evil Road Spirits. These spirits, or "gremlins," are one of life's mysteries for which there is no explanation; they live on motorcycles and they love to ride. Gremlins can be blamed for a dead battery, a broken turn signal, and for the hundreds of other unexplained mishaps.

Fortunately these evil road spirits can't live in the presence of a bell! The gremlins get trapped in the hollow, and because their hearing is extremely sensitive and they can't stand the confined space, the ride bell drives them crazy and they lose their grip. Some say that when a gremlin falls from the bell, a pothole is formed.

Legend has it that if a ride bell is given as a gift by a friend or loved one, its power is greatly increased.
They come in all styles, I like skulls.

Attachments

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I never had one on my bikes but I might consider getting a couple of different ones to display.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I had one that a buddy gave me. One day, after about a year, I was cleaning the bike and noticed that the bell was missing. The leather strap was still there but the bell was gone. I guess it gave up it's life for me down some road somewhere.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WTF? Isn't this interesting?

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
No, DeuceDog, I'm sorry it wasn't clear, I wasn't dissing your post.
I meant the fact that I'd managed to duplicate the whole damned thread,
I'm not too surprised to have bungled an edit and duped the thread,
but how the hell did all of the posts get duped as well?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I run one on all the Harley's I've ever owned, it works best if it is given to you from someone else as a gift. Mount it as low to the road as you can get it to scare off the gremlin's. I actually ran one day without one and had 2 people pull out in front of me and almost lost it on some gravel on a curve, got real nervous without it and had a friend buy me another one.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Hm... My bike ran fine until someone bought me one of those...

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe they come with install/test gremlins?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got one gifted to me by a friend, but I think mine is broke. I rode it fine for a long time until I hung the bell. Then I dropped it in a parking lot at 0 mph and dumped by better half on her melon, which I haven't heard the end of yet.

Maybe they don't work if gifted by a 'Wing rider? :rofl:

·
Enigma
217 Posts
I dont have one, I installed bright LED lights under the V to blind the little fokkers :D

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
I have bells under each side of all my bikes and deer whistles, too.

I also have ravens' wings mounted on my helmets.

No such thing as too much paranoia :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts