Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For tire mounting and balancing?

Around these parts the price varies widely. I have been getting quotes with the tire already removed from the bike by me and the range is $40 to $175!

It pays to shop around for these services, I found out.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Wow... that's a lot of money. Around here, I've heard $30-$45.

·
1,074 Posts
It was 60 a pair to remove old, mount and balance new for my Road King Classic (lace wheels)last year. I just got a quote from the same place of 70 or 75 (can't remember which) for the same job on my Ultra w/ 9 spoke wheels.

·
1,074 Posts
I like that, damn simple yet totally effective. Where could I pick up the axle/cone setup?

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting stuff. With all your knowledge did you ever consider opening up your own shop?

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well with me taking the tire and rim off of the bike and reinstalling it myself, I paid $50. Thats a bargain around here.

I went with a 260 Metz to replace my 240 Dunlop. No mods were needed. The effort needed to get her to lean has increased but thats not a problem unless your a weakling. It has much better handling due to the rounder design. Much more "flickable".

The 240 rear

The 260

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,189 Posts
Anybody considering a balancer or even a tire changing rig should check out
the No Mar Tire Changer and acessories.
I seriously doubt anybody is going to rig a more accurate balancer for under $99
Right down to the powdercoat finish, they couldn't be made any better.

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/product/show/9

$99

$199

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,189 Posts
Dave, as a former racer, doubtless needing to do tire maintenance chores at the track,
the neatest tire changer rig accessory they have is receiver hitch mount.
An $89 base for any of their changer heads.

You need to watch their videos. Of course, they are completely familiar with the process,
but still, they are so helpful and skilled and so very well documented,
the training videos is what sold me on their equipment.

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/video/showcase

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nathan have you had a chance to use yours yet? Which model do you have? I'm guessing the classic. If so does it perform as advertised?

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,189 Posts
Actually because of all the vehicles I own or support, both son's have a motorcycle and I have 2, many cars and and 3 tractors, and I hoped to save some money on tires by ordering from tirerack or discountiredirect, I got the Jr Pro model and the Monster sized balancer, the balancer is a treat to use, the changer is about difficult as you'd expect, since I have no real experience with it. Except for the front tire on the LowRider, unmounting 2 tires on a Shadow 1100 kit bike my #2 is working on, and a set of 4 tires on my #1 son's S2000.

One thing I am pleased about, I just could not figure out where in a 4500 square foot garage to permanently mount the changer, so I welded it to a 4 x4 steel plate and can move it anywhere I want.

·
1,074 Posts
It was 60 a pair to remove old, mount and balance new for my Road King Classic (lace wheels)last year. I just got a quote from the same place of 70 or 75 (can't remember which) for the same job on my Ultra w/ 9 spoke wheels.
Just picked the pair up, he only charged $60

1 - 15 of 15 Posts