Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 2006 Fat Boy about 6 weeks ago and have put ~2300 miles on it so far. I've been commuting to work 30 miles each way and just generally riding the piss out of it.

I've been reading through the threads here and there appears to be a wide range of the mileage that people ride. I was just wondering what others do and if you don't commute why not? Not that it matters that you don't, but maybe there is something that I'm overlooking. Or maybe it's as simple as some people don't want to put the mileage on the bike.

Basically just curious as to what others do and why you either ride a little or a lot.

I just can't seem to leave my bike in the garage. It's too much fun to ride it, even the commute to work is better than in a car.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Ride it while you can. Winter's coming. :) I'm good for about 5800 miles per year, give or take. But, I have two scoots.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
I have 2 scoots also and have put 12000 on them (total) since March.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just noticed, looks like 1 bike is just not enough. I may have to bring that to my wife's attention and let her know that I'm not meeting the requirements here. Need to start looking for another bike.

·
Vile Deplorable
1,435 Posts
I got my bike the last week of March and I have 6200 miles on it so far. I guess it works out to about 1000/month so far.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Two bikes about 11000 a year on my commuter and about 8000 on the other.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,332 Posts
When I was in college, it was my main transportation and did about 6,000 miles a year. My first job after college was a 50 mile one way ride to work.

Fast forward a few decades and I need to be more presentable when I get to work so I only ride in good weather on Tues, Thurs or Sat afternoons or on Sunday.

This summer has been cooler (yea) but it's rained a lot the last 2 months.

I recently made it possible to clean up at work after I arrive and have ridden in a few times. Was going to do it today but will do it tomorrow instead.

Bottom line . . . not very many mile/year on this bike.

But I still get a thrill just looking at it.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
Just noticed, looks like 1 bike is just not enough. I may have to bring that to my wife's attention and let her know that I'm not meeting the requirements here. Need to start looking for another bike.
It is good to see that you are understanding this forum thing so quickly....

·
Registered
147 Posts
how far in the shortest period of time? I road from san diego to key west and back 6,532 miles in 12 days on a 2013 limited rental - was going for the coast to coast in 50 hours missed it by 4 hours overslept.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,531 Posts
Just checked the odometer, and today is my scoot's "birthday" as far as bringing it home. Reading shows me averaging right at 15K a year. Hope to keep it in that range or a tad higher for oncoming years.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I don't ride nearly enough - about 2,500 miles/year. But I don't like to get wet, and the riding season is fairly short here in the NW. I do have two bikes now - the 00 Wideglide and the newly acquired 09 Road King. The War Dept. hasn't even squawked about that; bless her heart.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I ride year round here in the Houston Tx. area unless its raining or ice on the ground. I 25 or 30 k a year and I love it. Some days, the ride to work is the only reason I get up at all.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I bought my first bike August 1st, 2012. Traded it for a SG that December. (they both had within in 10 miles of each other... 4990 miles approx.) The SG now has 31000 miles on it. So in 26 months, 31,000 miles. that averages about 1200 miles a month or a little over 14,000 miles a year. It would have been more than that, but this past winter was colder and wetter than normal and didn't get to ride it as much.

I don't commute to work much because it is just too hectic because I usually work out before school and have to carry a change of clothes with me. If it wasn't for that, I would ride to work most days that it was over 40 degrees and not raining. maybe I should just quite working out and ride...

·
Banned
71 Posts
I bought my first bike August 1st, 2012. Traded it for a SG that December. (they both had within in 10 miles of each other... 4990 miles approx.) The SG now has 31000 miles on it. So in 26 months, 31,000 miles. that averages about 1200 miles a month or a little over 14,000 miles a year. It would have been more than that, but this past winter was colder and wetter than normal and didn't get to ride it as much.

I don't commute to work much because it is just too hectic because I usually work out before school and have to carry a change of clothes with me. If it wasn't for that, I would ride to work most days that it was over 40 degrees and not raining. maybe I should just quite working out and ride...
The clothes bag will fit on your scoot . :thumbsup

·
Registered
62 Posts
Picked up my RKC in late July. I've put about 800 miles on it since. My commute to work is only about 4 miles though. I'm figuring 2500-4000 miles a year.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So, what I'm reading here is there is no reason to not ride the heck out of the bike unless you just don't wish to. So I guess I'll just keep putting the miles on.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts