Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I want to get a general consensus.

I'm buying some new ape hangers for my bike. At 6'4" and a 30" inseam, I'm almost all upper body. I need to get new handlebars installed. I know it'll require new wires and cables.

What did your local dealership charge you? I want a good idea before I go in and get a silly expensive price on install.

Keep in mind I have a '14 street glide which will need two new hydraulic lines.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
The dealership quoted me $600 something in labor for bars when I bought my 2011 Ultra used. All in, parts and labor was a little over $1,300.

The dealer gets you two ways. You pay their labor, but you also pay top, full retail for all the parts. You can source almost all of the parts they use for 35-30% less if you look online.

I did mine myself. It's not that hard. It just takes patience.

I have heard that the Rushmore bikes are even easier to do. Maybe labor is less.

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
I did mine on my Rushmore bike,I only put 10s on so no line changes for me , some 12s you can get by without lines also any taller and figure you need to change them out. Mine was an easy swap. Invest in a service HD manual it will pay for itself in short order,most mods arnt particularly difficult and a good chunck of the cost is labor.

·
Wayward Son
23,288 Posts
If you lived closer it would cost you parts, a couple 36 pks. of Pepsi and about a day +/- in my garage.

A quick tip to get a rough idea on the right bar height.
Tools requiered; Tape measure. A Friend.
Set on the bike in your normal riding posture with it off the stand.
Close your eyes and reach out at a normal comfortable height.
Have your Friend measure from the top of the triple trees up to the height of your hands.
Could even measure the width between your hands.
Also note your wrist angle.
That will get you in the ballpark as far as height, width and grip placement.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you lived closer it would cost you parts, a couple 36 pks. of Pepsi and about a day +/- in my garage.

A quick tip to get a rough idea on the right bar height.
Tools requiered; Tape measure. A Friend.
Set on the bike in your normal riding posture with it off the stand.
Close your eyes and reach out at a normal comfortable height.
Have your Friend measure from the top of the triple trees up to the height of your hands.
Could even measure the width between your hands.
Also note your wrist angle.
That will get you in the ballpark as far as height, width and grip placement.
Well I did buy the service manual with the bike. I have a background in electrical wiring so that's not my big worry. I'm concerned about cutting new hydraulic lines for the clutch and new brake lines. Specifically the banjo fitting, I have 0 experience with. I'd presume I need the proper crimp tool to apply them.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Well I did buy the service manual with the bike. I have a background in electrical wiring so that's not my big worry. I'm concerned about cutting new hydraulic lines for the clutch and new brake lines. Specifically the banjo fitting, I have 0 experience with. I'd presume I need the proper crimp tool to apply them.
You should be able to buy a line of the correct length with all the fittings attached. No need to make one.

·
Ambassador
4,087 Posts
Same here. I'm in NE Ohio if someone has experience with this. I have a 2015 Wide Glide. I'm looking at video sources on how to do it and searching for parts. I'm looking at 12" mini Apes so far. Does ABS make any difference on the install?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know supposedly you NEED to take the bike to Harley to have your brake fluid bled. It has something to do with this digital technician they use. Other then that, I think everything else you can do on your own.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The dealer put on 10" LA Choppers on mine and didn't have to change out any cables or extend any wires, I had it worked into the deal when I bought the bike but I think it was about $500 and that included the cost of the bars. The Rushmore bikes have enough extra cable length to go to 10" easy and some 12" bars without extending anything. Anything higher than 12" I think was about $1500 to $1700 depending on the cost of the bars. I went with 10" so my hands were not above the fairing, I ride in the cold a lot and that was a big part of buying a bike with a fairing for me.

·
Wayward Son
23,288 Posts
There used to be about 2" of slack in the harness between the tanks.
Just snip a couple wire ties.

Not sure if it is the same on all/newer models.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The dealer put on 10" LA Choppers on mine and didn't have to change out any cables or extend any wires, I had it worked into the deal when I bought the bike but I think it was about $500 and that included the cost of the bars. The Rushmore bikes have enough extra cable length to go to 10" easy and some 12" bars without extending anything. Anything higher than 12" I think was about $1500 to $1700 depending on the cost of the bars. I went with 10" so my hands were not above the fairing, I ride in the cold a lot and that was a big part of buying a bike with a fairing for me.
Well I'm buying a 12" Harley bar, so I hope you're right!

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
If you need help, I'm your huckleberry.

I know we put 14's on a 15 RG with NO cables required, and it was pretty easy, IF the bars are made correctly. I'd have to look into the extra cable for the SG, but that's just a phone call. You are sweating the easy stuff. :D

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Same here. I'm in NE Ohio if someone has experience with this. I have a 2015 Wide Glide. I'm looking at video sources on how to do it and searching for parts. I'm looking at 12" mini Apes so far. Does ABS make any difference on the install?
I'm sure we can work something out.

If bled correctly, when the brake cable is installed, the trip to the dealer isn't a REQUIREMENT. They can pulse the ABS module with Digital Technician and make sure there is zero air in your system.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
That's what I'm talking about. They have you by the balls.
I've done quite a few, and have had zero issues so far. Some guy's get the check done, some don't.

If you are in Northeast, OH, I'm only about 2 hours from you.

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
Well I'm buying a 12" Harley bar, so I hope you're right!
Have you considered any of the other 12" bars ? The Twin Peaks , Paul Yaffe ,and Wild 1s are pretty popular , most guys have had good luck rerouting lines on the 12" bars.

If you need wire extensions Harley makes plug and play wires for about the same as most extension kits , they literally take 2 minutes or less to install.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have you considered any of the other 12" bars ? The Twin Peaks , Paul Yaffe ,and Wild 1s are pretty popular , most guys have had good luck rerouting lines on the 12" bars.

If you need wire extensions Harley makes plug and play wires for about the same as most extension kits , they literally take 2 minutes or less to install.
That's cool. I was thinking of putting all braided black lines in, and switch the black controls for chrome. I've notice just about every single black master cylinder has paint chipping off it, and chrome just doesn't do that. I also heard due to a design difference, the chrome ones don't leak as easily as the painted versions.

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
I've done quite a few, and have had zero issues so far. Some guy's get the check done, some don't.

If you are in Northeast, OH, I'm only about 2 hours from you.

Don is the ape King. I watched him do mine and we had time for a ride the next morning. Although I hear Mrs Stangs is even better.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts