Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I have seen it said several times that most of your guys do ride a little different when you wife or girlfriend joins you. So my question is how much is enough for your riding partner for a day before she is done.

I personally have had one hell of a time getting the wife to join me. But through an enormous amount of patience on my part and some money (new seat, backrest, grab rails) she has finally come around to the dark side and been riding with me now for about 6 months or so. Now she isn't in love with riding she just enjoys spending the time with me (God knows why) trying out a new eatery and enjoys the friends we ride with.

I have learned she is only good for about 100 miles in a non-stop stretch and about 200 miles total for a day. Now I am not complaining, especially considering where I came from to this is great progress.

I also do ride differently, slower starts and slower more gradual stops too. Trying to make sure she is as comfortable as possible. She still hates the interstate, but can tolerate it for shorts distances. So I give her lots of credit for overcoming her general fear of riding to do what she does. And truth is I really love having her with me.

So how about you guys? How much is too much for your partner?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
She had no issues on our New York ride, except the cold and rain. We will find out on the ride to ES in June how many miles she can go.

·
Done
4,154 Posts
My wife will do a 500 day. She's a trooper. She would prefer to stop more than I do. I have asked to let me know when she wants to stop, but, she never does. The modified Sundowner and tour pak help.
Just keep gently nudging her. Don't force her to go past her comfort zone. You'll lose her. May just take more time. Hook up with some buddies and their better halves. At least that way she will have others to chat with on a stop.

·
Registered
438 Posts
She does not like it if I scrape the pegs, But we tour by bike every year, generally doing 400-700 mile days for up to two weeks.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
mine is a short timer as well but will not complain one bit. she does like to get off and stretch out 100 miles or so. but these days im only good for around 200 or so miles.
maybe the apes are the problem . i dunno maybe the forward controls. i wish it had mid pegs along with the forwards.

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
My wife will not get on a motorcycle; I always ride solo. But I have been riding long enough that I have had time to observe what works and what does not work when riding with a passenger.

First of all, get her a good seat! The Harley Sundowner is one of several seats that are comfortable for a passenger. A lot of two-up seats are torture for passengers. Don't expect her to ride too far if she is sitting on a thinly upholstered brick.

A sissy bar with a good pad is a requirement for your passenger to have a comfortable ride. It will take the stress off her back and let her get comfortable. The bigger the sissy bar pad, the better.

Some passenger pegs are more comfortable than others. Stock pegs are usually not all that comfortable. Wider pegs are better than narrower ones.

Get her a good quality, well-fitted helmet. A lot of the ladies are riding with full-face helmets these days. They keep the sun and wind off of her face and they are quieter. Ear plugs can make for a more tolerable ride too. Sometimes it's the little things that make for a better ride. If she rides with a half-helmet, make sure that she has some good goggles.

I have talked to a lot of ladies who claim that they get cold when they ride. No one who is chilled is going to want to ride very far. Get her a good, season appropriate jacket, riding pants, boots and gloves. In the summer vented jackets, gloves and boots make for a much more comfortable ride.

If you have your bikes suspension tuned perfectly for when you ride alone, it will not handle well when you add a 115 pound passenger. Adjust the tire air pressure and preload to better suit the additional weight of a passenger. Keep in mind that will more mass on the bike that it will take you longer to stop your bike too.

As for riding style, very few women like to be scared to death by your Evel Knievel impersonations on your bike. Slow down, take turns more cautiously and never forget that no matter how well you set up a turn, the person behind you can shift her weight a few degrees and throw everything out of balance.

Pete

OK I have seen it said several times that most of your guys do ride a little different when you wife or girlfriend joins you. So my question is how much is enough for your riding partner for a day before she is done.

I personally have had one hell of a time getting the wife to join me. But through an enormous amount of patience on my part and some money (new seat, backrest, grab rails) she has finally come around to the dark side and been riding with me now for about 6 months or so. Now she isn't in love with riding she just enjoys spending the time with me (God knows why) trying out a new eatery and enjoys the friends we ride with.

I have learned she is only good for about 100 miles in a non-stop stretch and about 200 miles total for a day. Now I am not complaining, especially considering where I came from to this is great progress.

I also do ride differently, slower starts and slower more gradual stops too. Trying to make sure she is as comfortable as possible. She still hates the interstate, but can tolerate it for shorts distances. So I give her lots of credit for overcoming her general fear of riding to do what she does. And truth is I really love having her with me.

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
Mine will do about 100 or so miles before she starts with "my butt hurts". So I usually try and keep it under that except for when we take trips. Then after the 100 miles my head starts hurting from hearing " my butt hurts!"

·
Registered
751 Posts
Mine will do a short trip to dinner or a watering hole. Last year we did a short 110 mile ride with my buddy and his wife, and she hated the last 50 or so miles. I wanted to use that was an excuse to get a touring bike, but that went nowhere.

As it is now I think new shocks and pegs would make a difference. We are good with the seat

·
Registered
600 Posts
My wife and I are both good for about 200 a day and we stop quite often. Have problems with back, knees, hips. It's good quality time and beats the heck outta taking the car.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
My bike is very difficult for my wife to get on and off, and to top it off, its not all that comfortable for her. She does like to ride, so we've done real short rides, maybe 50 miles or so. One time she really pushed it, and we did 150 that day that was the last time she got on the bike. I'm trying to talk her into me making some changes and making it more comfy for her. As said earlier, make sure she's comfy even when she doesn't say anything. I made that mistake, hopefully I can get her back on this summer. That king rides like a dream 2 up.

·
Registered
946 Posts
My wife has done 450 to 500 mile days with no complaints. She did one 450 mile day in the pouring rain and only asked if I would get her some better boots as her feet were soaked. She got some nice new ones from the first Harley shop we came too.

·
Old Fart
1,367 Posts
150 to 200 miles before stopping for a short stretch, 10 to 15 minutes. Or whenever we need a bathroom break. That's more for me than her, Damn old man bladder! 500 to 600 miles for the day, but again that's me. She'd probably go all day if I would. She's a trooper!

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts

This is pretty much exactly the same as my experience.

I really envy you guys that have a longer range passenger. But I love sharing my riding with her and gladly sacrifice distance for quality time together on the bike. She has done 300+ days a couple of times, though, so I'm ok with that.

--

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
The War Dept. enjoys riding along, but the longer haul requires a stop and stretch. She has gotten over (I think) her fear of the interstate. She has been accompanying me on the Wide Glide, which is probably like sitting on a brick for her. She has not joined me on the Road King yet, but I think she will like it. Her complaint has been the wind in her eyes, so I think we will look for a nice 3/4 helmet with a faceshield. I would like to get her on a longer trip, but I don't know.

·
Former Lurker
2,907 Posts
As my wife has gotten older she is less able to ride. After a few neck surgeries I am lucky to get a gentle hour out of her and those are few and far between.
Can't say I blame her, but she is getting a little jealous of the time I spend with the bike.
If I go for a nice long ride, it seems I owe a nice long trip to look at plants and pots etc...

·
Registered
730 Posts
My wife has ridden many miles with me, up to 500 so far as I can remember. She has been with me through sun, rain, sleet, hail, wind, cold and once even snow without complaint. We use to always ride on Sunday, but I could barely get her out this past season. I'm retired, she works, so I can ride all week, maybe she wants to rest on Sunday. Of course, there's more to that story.....

Anyways, she is a trooper, doesn't complain, is usually happy to go.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts