Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a chance at a 68 shovel/pan.Do You think it is worth 7500 bucks????
The engine is a stroker to 80" and I dont know what for a cam.
Trans is a 4 spd with all andrews shafts and gears.The only other thig I know about this bike is the guy told Me it ran REAL good with a lot of power.
This project has been sitting for about 5 years now.

Here`s a couple of pics of what it looked like before the wreck.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will add in.
When this chopper was involved in its wreck it was at about 10 miles per hour.
The guy driving the bike when it got wrecked was not injured.The girl riding with Him got a bruise on Her leg.None of the people in the jeep that caused the wreck were injured.
The front forks on the bike were bent and the frame got bent with a crack in it and that is why He purchased the FLH frame to install the engine into.The frame and the engine both have clean titles.
The primary belt system was damaged so He has purchased all new primary drive components with the inner and outer primary cases and a new starter to get that back together with a new chain and compensating sprocket.
I do`nt think the handle bar electrical controls are there but He does have the throttle,clutch and front brake components.
I will be looking the bike over this weekend to see what other components are missing.

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
He riuned it should brang it back to what it was.5000.00 tops i just looked at the pics agian where is the wisbone frame at??? that and the motor is what makes it worth somthing now its a swingarm boo... 3500.00 tops no less.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Thanks.
I also got a PM from Scol and the NADA blue book is 5000 so I will definetely pass on this one.I did`nt even think about the blue book.
He was solid on the price so I do`nt think He will come down any or very much.
If any one else is interested in it send Me a PM and I will get You the no. to contact Him.
:Thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
I can quickly think of several drawbacks & questions:
It's a hodge podge of aftermarket mix & match parts, your Harley Service manual will be of little use.
First thing I notice is the cam cover is either early 60's panhead or aftermarket, doesn't appear to be much Harley Davidson about the bike.
Was the engine & tranny assembled properly or just slapped together by a wannabe mechanic?
Needs major wiring & plumbing. ARGHHH!!!
Is it titled on the frame & engine #? If frame is post-1975 this might be a problem if gung-ho Barney decides to look close at the numbers.
All used bikes once "ran REAL good with a lot of power" why aint it running now?
It will be a headache trying to put all crap together.
You'll need to start from scratch and go through EVERYTHING.
Seals & gaskets have dried out and will leak.
Old oil full of moisture and contaminates have attacked bearings & bushings.
Carb gummed up with varnish & needs rebuilding.
Tanks rusted inside.
Tires & hoses deteriorated.
Calipers & master cylinder needs rebuilding.
Is primary name-brand or eBay special?
Ones just like it that actually run sell for that price if the seller's lucky.
IMO, not worth anywhere near $7,500, ROFLMAO. Maybe ½ that if I were a glutten for punishment.
Hope this helps, MrMarty.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can quickly think of several drawbacks & questions:
It's a hodge podge of aftermarket mix & match parts, your Harley Service manual will be of little use.
First thing I notice is the cam cover is either early 60's panhead or aftermarket, doesn't appear to be much Harley Davidson about the bike.
Was the engine & tranny assembled properly or just slapped together by a wannabe mechanic?
Needs major wiring & plumbing. ARGHHH!!!
Is it titled on the frame & engine #? If frame is post-1975 this might be a problem if gung-ho Barney decides to look close at the numbers.
All used bikes once "ran REAL good with a lot of power" why aint it running now?
It will be a headache trying to put all crap together.
You'll need to start from scratch and go through EVERYTHING.
Seals & gaskets have dried out and will leak.
Old oil full of moisture and contaminates have attacked bearings & bushings.
Carb gummed up with varnish & needs rebuilding.
Tanks rusted inside.
Tires & hoses deteriorated.
Calipers & master cylinder needs rebuilding.
Is primary name-brand or eBay special?
Ones just like it that actually run sell for that price if the seller's lucky.
IMO, not worth anywhere near $7,500, ROFLMAO. Maybe ½ that if I were a glutten for punishment.
Hope this helps, MrMarty.
Yeppers.You guys have saved Me from making a bad investment.If I had the funds available I`d purchase the one from BadassBrutus.
OOHH well such is life.LOL
I do`nt even know why i`m a thinkin about another bike.Got a FXDWG runnin real sweet and a 70 FLH project already and ca`nt ride either one for moren a couple of miles at a time due to a back injury.WEll I guess I`m not happy unless the garage is cluttered with projects.LOL

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
Mine would be the one!!But listen you cant go by kelly blue book all the time somtimes they undervalue bikes ,cars ,trucks that are well woth alot more than what they say.your best bet is to ask like you did and most of the time guys like my self will steer you in the right direction.

·
Curmudgeon
7,040 Posts
You're right can't go by Kelly blue book all the time, but it is a good starting point when you don't or aren't sure about the value. What he was looking at was a repaired wreck. IF you take a frame and build a work of art install an engine, what's the difference between that and a sculpture. In my eye's you sculpture a machine from a vision much like an artist does with his brush or a sculpture does with clay or marble. It's the same with hot rods custom cars that's all a form of art, at least in my eye's . What you do comes from within, difficult to put a price on it. So to some up my lecture for tonight Dean your bike art, the other bike repair job, nice looking repair job but repair job none the less.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank You to all that has posted to this thread.
I have taken my mind off of getting more and put it and My money towards putting My 57 Hummer 125 model B together.Had a parts list going with Duane taylor at Taylors classic Motorcycles and finished topping the list off today and told Him to ship.
OOOHHH boy this should be like Christmas all over again.A lot of packages to open and explore in .LOLNow i`ll finish some touchup welding on the frame and get that painted along with other numerous parts and have another wonderful ride to play with.
Thank You all for setting My mind straight and back on track.

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
Scol thanks for the kind words Bro!!When someone really sees what you do and understands it it make you feel good!!Thanks
I dont ever wait at shows for trophys or awards I just look at their faces and thats enough for me when they start handing out the trophys I usually fire it up and bail.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts