Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
I'd imagine it depends.

If dealers buy bikes outright, (cash) they get a discount, VS a dealer that has "stock" financed from the Moco.

If the dealer has the bikes from the Moco to sell, they're charged a monthly "fee" every month they sit there, taking away from their profit as every 30 day period passes.

I'd be surprised if anyone could give you an accurate answer as variables all play into the outcome.

Example:

I bought my 2003 RC51 for $8600, plus a 5 year warranty. The bike was almost one year old, (bought in 8/03) and the dealer had it on their showroom floor since 10/02, with 2004's sitting on the floor already.

The bike listed for $10999.00 new and the dealer, (who's also a friend) told me they STILL made some money off of it, even after paying 10 months of MFG fees....

·
"Ain't quite right"™
11,239 Posts
They can work it down to where you end up paying much more than MSRP, just by dragging out the financing over longer periods of time. They did that with mine, I told them "I don't care for how long or the finance charge, I want my payments at X, do what you gotta do"

If it's new, they're gonna hit you with crate, assembly, and all kinds of other fees anyway.

You can always use that as a tool to get them to come down off of the price, by tellin them you'll finance for longer...then just refinance after about a year or so...but you'll pretty much be refinancing the entire cost anyway, since you've only paid interest over that first year.

I really don't care if I'm paying alot for my bike because of it, I don't care if the dealer is making a ton of cash offa me, I love my bike, and I'm only paying what I initially wanted to every month.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I know a guy that works for a dealer and he bought a 08 ultra classic 105 aniversary for 21k otd...with a 2k gift card to boot!....:faint

·
Registered
1 Posts
25%

Dealer markup is 25% the salesman gets 8% I just bought a 2014 Ultra and got nearly $4000 off sticker. that said the 2015's are on the way. Some dealerships refuse to budge off msrp others are happy to. some even will try to markup above. It pays to shop around. I'm lucky to have 5 dealers in a 50 mile radius

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Dealer markup is 25% the salesman gets 8% I just bought a 2014 Ultra and got nearly $4000 off sticker. that said the 2015's are on the way. Some dealerships refuse to budge off msrp others are happy to. some even will try to markup above. It pays to shop around. I'm lucky to have 5 dealers in a 50 mile radius

The top salesman at the dealership I frequent sold 200 bikes last year. It's posted on the wall. I'm pretty sure he's not banking $300k+ a year selling Harleys.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Banned
71 Posts
The top salesman at the dealership I frequent sold 200 bikes last year. It's posted on the wall. I'm pretty sure he's not banking $300k+ a year selling Harleys.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Each Dealer has it's own package for salesmen . Some are better than others. Industrial standard is 25% of the profit to the salesman .
A good salesman can make over 200k a year.

:coffee:

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Each Dealer has it's own package for salesmen . Some are better than others. Industrial standard is 25% of the profit to the salesman .

They way the dealerships around here churn through those guys, there must not be very many "good" ones.

·
Banned
71 Posts
They way the dealerships around here churn through those guys, there must not be very many "good" ones.
It may be that the Dealership is not "sharing" the profits with the salesman too. You get what you pay for, no pay, no sales. :)

·
Registered
11,031 Posts

With all due respect to you, I ain't buying that a HD salesman can make over, or even close, to $200K per year. If that were the case people would be standing in line, even fighting, to secure a position that might pay a lot less money than that. And so many dealers cry that they can't find knowledgeable sales staff.

There are HD knowledgeable folks who would be tickled pink to work 40 +/- hours in a nice environment and make $50K-$60K per year with decent benefits. Yet so many dealers can't find them, telling me motorcycle salesmen are in the same category as car salesmen--dealerships paint a rosy picture of how much they can make to get them started but, except for an extraordinary few individuals, it just doesn't work out that way and sales staff has a pretty high turnover.

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
I would be surprised if a salesman made more than a couple hundred bucks on a sell ...

·
Banned
71 Posts
With all due respect to you, I ain't buying that a HD salesman can make over, or even close, to $200K per year. If that were the case people would be standing in line, even fighting, to secure a position that might pay a lot less money than that. And so many dealers cry that they can't find knowledgeable sales staff.

There are HD knowledgeable folks who would be tickled pink to work 40 +/- hours in a nice environment and make $50K-$60K per year with decent benefits. Yet so many dealers can't find them, telling me motorcycle salesmen are in the same category as car salesmen--dealerships paint a rosy picture of how much they can make to get them started but, except for an extraordinary few individuals, it just doesn't work out that way and sales staff has a pretty high turnover.
The smaller the Dealer , the smaller the pay. If you can't keep sales staff, they are not making enough money. A good salesman turns 15 to 20 units a month, if it's a small Dealership, no way to make those numbers there.

Just like the service personal , normal is 50/20 , half your labor/ 20% of your parts . If the dealer is NOT paying well, people move on to where they can make money .

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
All of the Harley's have different profit margins. From what I have seen, the average is low to mid 20's.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am about to buy a 2014 Heritage Softail. The salesman says its $19,744 and will sell it to me for $750 for a total of $18,994.

Is that a good deal on a remaining 2014? Should I dicker with him, try to get him to come down more? How much more? What are the key words/phrases I could use on him?

Time is of the essence cause i'll be emailing with him tomorrow.

Mike

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I found this to be interesting. I was on a ride south with my best buddy, and we popped into Latus HD in Gladstone, OR, just outside of Portland. I have become interested in a RK, so I checked into one. It was listed at $20,644, so I asked what it would be out the door. $22,585. Then I asked the guy if there was some wiggle room, and he said, "Hell yes." Today my buddy and I popped into the dealership we frequent in Olympia, WA, and I found exactly the same bike, exactly the same bike. It was listed at over $22K, and these guys won't budge much at all. They feel that if you don't buy the bike, somebody else will tomorrow. My buddy also returned to Gladstone for new RK tires for his CVO. He paid $557. for everything. Olympia quoted him over $800. As a sidenote, I talked to the salesman in Gladstone for some time, and finally got around to his salary. He said it is strictly a retirement job; if he had to raise a family on it, he would have gone to the poor farm. He said the past year he moved 116 bikes and made $34K.

·
Registered
11,031 Posts
I found this to be interesting. I was on a ride south with my best buddy, and we popped into Latus HD in Gladstone, OR, just outside of Portland. I have become interested in a RK, so I checked into one. It was listed at $20,644, so I asked what it would be out the door. $22,585. Then I asked the guy if there was some wiggle room, and he said, "Hell yes." Today my buddy and I popped into the dealership we frequent in Olympia, WA, and I found exactly the same bike, exactly the same bike. It was listed at over $22K, and these guys won't budge much at all. They feel that if you don't buy the bike, somebody else will tomorrow. My buddy also returned to Gladstone for new RK tires for his CVO. He paid $557. for everything. Olympia quoted him over $800. As a sidenote, I talked to the salesman in Gladstone for some time, and finally got around to his salary. He said it is strictly a retirement job; if he had to raise a family on it, he would have gone to the poor farm. He said the past year he moved 116 bikes and made $34K.
Your experience sounds more like the real world. We have 2 HD dealers here in Louisville. One of them was of the "Full price plus prep, document fee, freight, etc., etc" mentality and that dealership recently got new owners. I hope the new owner is willing to negotiate some. And the salesman you encountered that made $34K last year and moved a fair number of bikes--well, everything is competitive and even if you are HD knowledgeable selling bikes ain't rocket science.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts