Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 XL88L that is supposed to have a 4 1/2 gal tank. The reserve light has come on as early as 90 miles & as late as 135 miles.
I get about 44 MPG so even at 135 miles that would only indicate a useful total of about 4 gals. The most I have put in is 3.89 gals.
I suppose I could run it empty & see but I was hoping someone has already done that.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,854 Posts
I can only tel you that I have had one occasion where the light came on and I was forced to push it to an exit on I-49 in Louisiana. The countdown had already changed to "URF" (You Are Fooked) and I put 5.9 gallons into a 6 gallon tank. I still don't rely on the gas gauge, but at least I know that the miles remaining until you are hoofing it light is pretty much right on on my bike. I use the rough average MPG and set the trip meter as my primary gas gauge.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I go by miles. The reserve light on my 08 Nightster has never given my any confidence and is getting worse. Comes on sometimes within a mile or two of filling.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I just traded in my 2012 sportster with a 4.5 gallon tank. I usually got about 46 mpg and at the 175 mile mark or 3.8 gallons used, the bike would begin to sputter once in a while or stumble on take-off from a light or stop sign. I think we can not get the full use of the 4.5 gallon tank because the fuel pump and filter assembly inside the tank takes up about a quart of space. And the pump can not get all the fuel from the lower corners of the tank. So the stumble and sputtering was because the fuel was sloshing around during those moments. I had the fuel pump/filter assembly out a couple times when I installed the new speedo/tach/fuel gage combo unit. Plus I was looking to see if the assembly could be adjusted to make the idiot light more accurate. Mine would sometimes come on at 125 mile mark and I new I still could go another 50 miles.

·
Breaker of Things
3,358 Posts
I can only tel you that I have had one occasion where the light came on and I was forced to push it to an exit on I-49 in Louisiana. The countdown had already changed to "URF" (You Are Fooked) and I put 5.9 gallons into a 6 gallon tank. I still don't rely on the gas gauge, but at least I know that the miles remaining until you are hoofing it light is pretty much right on on my bike. I use the rough average MPG and set the trip meter as my primary gas gauge.

This ?????

I always use the tripometer to back up what my gas gauge is telling me!!!

·
Registered
476 Posts
My wife's '13 Sporty does not have a gas gauge. It's her only complaint about the bike. She uses her trip meter. Anyone added the optional HD gas gauge? If so, how accurate is it?

·
Registered
41,392 Posts
My wife's '13 Sporty does not have a gas gauge. It's her only complaint about the bike. She uses her trip meter. Anyone added the optional HD gas gauge? If so, how accurate is it?
It will be more accurate than the float type system used in all other Harleys.

The Sportster system uses a system very similar to fuel indication systems used on aircraft. It is a metal tube within another metal tube that lets the fuel level come up between the 2 tubes, and the system measures the difference in capacitance the fuel causes between the 2 tubes to determine how much fuel there is. No mechanical parts to wear out!

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
It will be more accurate than the float type system used in all other Harleys.

The Sportster system uses a system very similar to fuel indication systems used on aircraft. It is a metal tube within another metal tube that lets the fuel level come up between the 2 tubes, and the system measures the difference in capacitance the fuel causes between the 2 tubes to determine how much fuel there is. No mechanical parts to wear out!

Can that be retrofitted to an older ('99) carburetor Fat Boy?

-

·
Registered
41,392 Posts
No, not without doing some fab work, and cutting a hole in your fuel tank.

·
Wandering Evangelist
23 Posts
Can this optional gas gauge be installed on an 04 XL1200C? If so, does anyone know the part number?

·
Wandering Evangelist
23 Posts
Thanks, for the url, might be worth a retrofit in the future, but too much work for the mods I have planned now for that to fit in presently.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts