Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an 09 FLHT, how do I wire for passing lamps to stay on all even with High beams,
The reason I ask is I just installed a head amp flasher for day time driving. It runs in the high beam mode, which shuts down passing lamps.

·
100k Harley,100kBMW
258 Posts
Hi beam with Auxiliary lamps on

I would study the wiring diagram for possibilities. Keeping in mind that doubling up the current on one 15 Amp fuse may be excessive. On the other hand, a relay may open the ground on the auxiliary lamps when the high beam is switched on, this could be changed. There is probably more than one way to achieve this challenge. Wish I had an '09 wiring diagram. I've wondered the same thing before.

·
Retired citizen
23,371 Posts
The passing lamps get their power from the headlamp low beam wire at the headlamp connector . You can swap the passing lamp wire to the high beam so the passing lamps will be on in the high beam mode but will be off in the low beam mode . If you want the passing lamps on any time you switch them on you'll need to power them from a different source , the accy. connector under the seat would be one place but a relay should be wired into the circuit . Also there's a separate power and ground wire taped to the headlamp wire harness that could be used , they have rubber covers on their connectors that will get removed .

·
Retired citizen
23,371 Posts
Not much to do at my shop yesterday so I sat down with an '05 factory service manual to figure out the simpelest and safest way to put the touring passing lamps on their own circuit independant of the headlamp function .
If anyone is interested do a shout out and I'll post the procedure .

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,193 Posts
I just installed a head lamp flasher for day time driving.
IMHO you should take that back off and throw it away.

They piss me off, and many others here have said the same thing.

... and if you wind up getting the driving lights to do it too,

I'd expect to eventually get a beatin' if I was you.

:ride

Reactions: old dogg

·
Registered
40 Posts
My local dealer ordered me a set of fog lamps (68913-98b) for my FLHRC. I had tried several aftermarket ones and they didn't last. So far these are lasting. On the left side my bike had a dummy toggle switch, maybe all Kings have one and that is what they used to wire mine in except he went straight to battery. He put the relay in the cover with the toggle switch and they stay on with that switch and it doesn't matter if you are useing reg or bright lights if that toggle is on there on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Get you aset of HD #68913-98b. Use the toggle switch across from spot lamps. My dealer used that switch and put relay inside the cover. Run wire to any hot and it will work whether in low or high beam. Mine is on a FLHRC and my wife has a Heritage but you will have to order a toggle switch if you want to match it. No promblems so far.

·
2010 Heritage
1,198 Posts
IMHO you should take that back off and throw it away.

They piss me off, and many others here have said the same thing.

... and if you wind up getting the driving lights to do it too,

I'd expect to eventually get a beatin' if I was you.

:ride

I agree. May as well just ride with an reflective orange vest with a big X on it. At least one wouldn't look quite as retarded. Just my opinion on those things. Nothing personal aimed at anybody who uses them. :)

·
DILLIGAF
691 Posts
Seen that the other day passing a guy with it in his bike. i thought something was wrong but now i know different, it is a little annoy.... to each there own i guess.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not much to do at my shop yesterday so I sat down with an '05 factory service manual to figure out the simpelest and safest way to put the touring passing lamps on their own circuit independant of the headlamp function .
If anyone is interested do a shout out and I'll post the procedure .
Yes Sir, I would appreciate it if you would post that info. I need to do it with my bike. Thank you.

·
Retired citizen
23,371 Posts
Yes Sir, I would appreciate it if you would post that info. I need to do it with my bike. Thank you.
I already did. Check the stickys in the electrical section.

Reactions: slingshot383

·
Registered
176 Posts
Harley and Kuryakn both sell a jumper that is a simple plug-in to accomplish the independent operation of the driving lamps.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Harley and Kuryakn both sell a jumper that is a simple plug-in to accomplish the independent operation of the driving lamps.

I just looked at the Harley web page. It didn't show any? Might you have a part number or reference?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I’ve had mine since day 1.
Dealership did it for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It has to be simple enough. SCHMIDTY posted the fix for in in 2010. My bike is a 2014 with Dayligters LEDs. So I'm wondering if anything changed? Since MoCo made many changes to the Rushmore bikes, i would think it would be plug n play now. That would make a wire harness a simpler task. But hey, i have been wrong before.

I have to order a new media compartment (the hinge broke, I removed it and glued it, held for about 10 miles after drying 48 hours) So i need to pull the front faring again for that. So i figure while i'm in there...

Edit: Just thinking about it, that media compartment is crazy $$. One of these days when i get board, I will pull it again. Got a couple trix to help hold it... maybe :sneaky: right now its taped shut! 🤫

·
Registered
176 Posts
69200441, this the part# for the HD jumper that allows independent operation of the passing lamps. It is $30, and has two modular plug ends. Hardest part is fairing r&r. Kuryakyn has their version under $20.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
69200441, this the part# for the HD jumper that allows independent operation of the passing lamps. It is $30, and has two modular plug ends. Hardest part is fairing r&r. Kuryakyn has their version under $20.

Yep, Those are for a 2013 & earlier. I called both J&P & Temecula Harley today. No such animal for 2014 and up.

·
Retired citizen
23,371 Posts
Correct, the BCM is the culprit. Messing with the light functions messes with the BCM.
Maybe one day I'll have to pull out one of my late model electric diagnostic manuals to see if I can figure a work around in the schematics.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts