Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I got this FLSTN Softail Deluxe because the wife was just sure she did not want to ever ride a motorcycle, but now she's getting jealous because I'm gone all the time and come home telling her about all the cool places I have been. If she were to like riding I don't have a problem upgrading maybe next year to a larger bike, but I would at least like to just let her try it out on this one.

Problem is, I'm pretty certain we would be over the 430 LB limit. I'm 220, and she is a big girl. I think she is probably in the ballpark with me. (If you want to know her exact weight, maybe you can break into her doctor's office and find out 'cause she ain't sayin'.)

What do you guys think? If I crank up the rear shocks do you think it will be okay to possibly be a little over?

·
Banned
71 Posts
So, I got this FLSTN Softail Deluxe because the wife was just sure she did not want to ever ride a motorcycle, but now she's getting jealous because I'm gone all the time and come home telling her about all the cool places I have been. If she were to like riding I don't have a problem upgrading maybe next year to a larger bike, but I would at least like to just let her try it out on this one.

Problem is, I'm pretty certain we would be over the 430 LB limit. I'm 220, and she is a big girl. I think she is probably in the ballpark with me. (If you want to know her exact weight, maybe you can break into her doctor's office and find out 'cause she ain't sayin'.)

What do you guys think? If I crank up the rear shocks do you think it will be okay to possibly be a little over?
Go for it...if it bottoms out ALL the time, get a bigger set of shocks . :)

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
(If you want to know her exact weight, maybe you can break into her doctor's office and find out 'cause she ain't sayin'.)?

If there's one thing I know in life, NEVER guess a woman's age or weight.

You'll be in trouble if you're too high or too low!

·
Registered
803 Posts
I would first see how the bike will do with the shocks set on the firmest setting and the tires at highest recommended pressure. Stepping up to a touring bike only adds about 35 to 40 pounds of load capacity since the touring bikes weigh a lot more then the softails.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Go for it...if it bottoms out ALL the time, get a bigger set of shocks . :)
A new set of shocks are a hell of a lot cheaper than a bigger bike too

Exco

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
go for it man just ride. im pretty sure me an my ol are over the weight gage by quite a bit . bike will bottom out here an there. but it keeps on going.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
I know when we tour we are WAY over the weight limit, I do have non factory shocks but still, we are well beyond the GVW.

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
I know when we tour we are WAY over the weight limit, I do have non factory shocks but still, we are well beyond the GVW.
At least you didn't list the Mrs. weight that would have been funny when she found out.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
At least you didn't list the Mrs. weight that would have been funny when she found out.

I may be stupid, but......wait....where was I going with this :what?

·
RIP Michael
86 Posts
I'm 260 and the ol' lady is 200+ (she don't say and I don't ask). We put the FLTRX shocks on 60 and cruise. A hard bump will bottom on rare occasion, but the bike seems to have no issues with the weight.

·
Thug counter
240 Posts
I'm 260, and my niece is at least 200, and we rode my little night train on some fairly rough road. It didn't bottom out at all. It really rode pretty good, now that I think about it.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
This thread reminds me of one not long ago...when wife weight came into play

Only took 8 or 9 replies :) to get really funny:)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Go for it Kentucky Boy. You didn't list poundage, but you did say she is a big girl. That alone may come back to haunt you. :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know, I know... I thought about making a one-time ID for this question...LOL

I fully expected a "gross" weight joke or two...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts