Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 lowrider with a stock 1340 evo. When I got home last night I noticed a puddle of oil under it where the oil drain plug is. I tightned it up pretty snug. I went out this morning and there is still a little bit of oil under it. How tight should that plug be? There's also 2 other little tiny spots like the size of a dime under the front. A friend told me that vibration may losen up some bolts are there some bolts that specifiacally I need to keep an eye on? Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Señor Member
19,600 Posts
It shouldn't leak at all. Are you certain it's leaking from the drain plug? If so, get a new O ring (gasket) for the drain plug and torque to specs. I don't know the torque value for a '96, sorry.

It's not a ton of torque. Snug, not killed.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Which drain plug? You have 3. Two closer to the right side of the bike
(trans & engine), and one under the derby on the primary cover. The primary plug may be a tapered pipe thread. Overtightening will crack the hole. Often what appears to be a leak from the primary plug will be a leaking transmission or primary seal. When parked on the jiffy stand, it runs down, and off the plug. If that is where it is leaking, wipe down the back real good after the next ride, then you can isolate it. Same with the front, wipe everything down so you can trace the leak back.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wiped it off it seems to have been coming from the drain plug on the primary cover it wasn't motor oil or trans. The plug was pretty loose I didn't need a ratchet to tighten it was finger tight. So I snugged it up I'm sure its low on fluid though so if I have to take the cover off to add fluid and buy a new gasket I mas as well drain it and replace.

·
TGPNW
640 Posts
If the primary drain plug leaks use teflon tape. HD shop practices calls for teflon tape on pipe (taper threads) fittings. Snug the plug, you can crack the case if over torque.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone I got the leak stopped. I just wonder if I should use some blue loctite on it. I got lucky and noticed it on my garage floor. If this was to happen in the middle of a ride I would have never known untill it was to late.

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
I would skip the lock tite on that one and go with Teflon tape, I use it on all the oil drain plugs.

Another tip, instead of buying HD o rings purchase an o ring kit from Harbour Freight $8 for the whole kit, instead of $1+ each.

·
Registered
341 Posts
use PFE paste on the threads. any hardware store has it, in plumbing dept.
also ACE hardware has "O" rings. the modern twin cam takes #41. yours may be different.
you are only trying to squash the "O" ring for a seal.
also go to MAGNETIC DRAIN PLUGS their magnets in their plugs will pick up a 11/16" wrench. the OEM suck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok I'll not put loctite on there and just stick with the teflon tape. There is no o ring on this plug its just a threaded plug with an allen head in the top.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
use PFE paste on the threads. any hardware store has it, in plumbing dept.
also ACE hardware has "O" rings. the modern twin cam takes #41. yours may be different.
you are only trying to squash the "O" ring for a seal.
also go to MAGNETIC DRAIN PLUGS their magnets in their plugs will pick up a 11/16" wrench. the OEM suck.
Me too. It's like tooth paste. I think it is easier to use than the tape, but as usual, opinions may vary.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had thought about using some arp thread sealer that I had bought to put an engine together. I just snugged it up and it quit leaking so I'm gonna have to take it out and put something on it.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
If you use the teflon tape, BE CAREFUL, OVER TIGHTENING WELL CRACK THE CASE!! Just snug it up, the tape makes it feel like it's not tight enough.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
well its still leaking. I don't know if I overtightned it or not. I cant see any crack in the case. It sat in the garage for 2 days with no leaks after I taped the plug and put it back in then today I rode it about 15 miles and came home and drip drip

·
Señor Member
19,600 Posts
Sh!t.

How do the threads feel when you thread it?

Did you look for cracks on the inside of the female, like, across the treads in the pan?

·
Señor Member
19,600 Posts
My guess (only a guess) is that you over tightened and dug through the threads, so now you don't get tight and the oil can crawl through the thread channel.

Hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have not looked at the female threads I guess I'll drain it again and inspect a little further. I bet I overtightned it. but the threads feel good not sloppy at all. Does that case hold pressure? Odd that it sat for 2 days with no leaks and a short ride later right back to leaking.

·
Señor Member
19,600 Posts
I don't believe there is pressure in the pan, but hot oil behaves differently.

Sucks you gotta drain again. Use a clean pan so you can reuse the oil. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts