Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a sundowner from a member on another forum, and it is considerably larger...so obviously, I have to adjust the leather strap that helps hold the seat down. It looks like the bottom of the bolt that holds it in place is on the underside of the rear fender...how do I access this part of the bolt? A open ended wrench on the underside to hold it in place so I can loosen the top nut?

·
Registered
4 Posts
the sundowner comes with a larger strap, the stock strap may fit but doubt it. you tighten the bolt under the seat before you put the seat on. once the strap is tight you feed the seat thru the strap sideways and then put the seat in place.have a look on harley usa site and download the install instructions for a sundowner seat. when i bought my sundowner seat it came with a new bolt and much bigger strap. your strap may fit if you adjust it, it has three holes for adjusting.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know how to install/remove the seat. It hasn't been a problem. The stock seat strap has extra holes (kind of like a belt for your pants) to adjust it for a larger seat. I just don't want to loosen the top bolt, and then not be able to tighten it again because I can't get to the head of the bolt on the underside of the rear fender. It's hard enough getting my hand in there, it's near impossible to get in there with a wrench.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i just took my seat off to look, my bolt does not turn under the fender when i turn the top bolt. it has a locking collar under the fender to keep it from turning.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i just took my seat off to look, my bolt does not turn under the fender when i turn the top bolt. it has a locking collar under the fender to keep it from turning.
that is EXACTLY what I was hoping someone would say. I appreciate you looking at that for me. Makes life so much easier!! Thanks again!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have had three seats for my Dyna so far and I made sure to remove the strap completely. Since I have a passenger backrest the strap serves no real purpose for me. I have seen quite a few HD's with the strap removed. I guess it is 'owners preference' on this one.
Grumpy

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
took 30 seconds to undo the bolt and enlarge the seat strap one notch. Fits around the seat perfectly.

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Having the strap just makes it harder for some dirtbag to steal your seat.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Having the strap just makes it harder for some dirtbag to steal your seat.
I'll go with ya on that one. Harley seats are pretty easy to steal...The thought crossed my mind when I almost rode my bike to Atlanta last month for a concert, then decided not to when I assessed the parking situation, and the access others would have to my bike.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I don't see the strap being much of a deterrent to a thief. Almost everyone I know carries a sharp knife. One quick slash and the strap is gone, along with the seat! Little things will not stop a thief if he wants something bad enough. My son had his bike parked between a car's front bumper and the motel wall the first night he was in Myrtle Beach. Next morning...no bike! Police said they probably just picked it up, tossed it into a van and went looking for more. Unless you keep your doberman chained to your bike and you sit beside it with your .45 cal it is a temptation to a thief.
Grumpy

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't see the strap being much of a deterrent to a thief. Almost everyone I know carries a sharp knife. One quick slash and the strap is gone, along with the seat! Little things will not stop a thief if he wants something bad enough. My son had his bike parked between a car's front bumper and the motel wall the first night he was in Myrtle Beach. Next morning...no bike! Police said they probably just picked it up, tossed it into a van and went looking for more. Unless you keep your doberman chained to your bike and you sit beside it with your .45 cal it is a temptation to a thief.
Grumpy
that's not much help. We're talking about a deterrent. Some people are just plain stupid and may not think to cut the strap. For the ones who are smart enough, so be it. It's a risk we take riding motorcycles.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The first time I have to remove a seat with a strap I first take my knife and cut the strap in two. The seat is now easily removed. I then remove the screw, pieces of strap and throw them away. The strap is useless.
Billy

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Steal your seat?

Be real. They'll steal the whole bike first. 3 guys and a van. Rash of them around my area.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Steal your seat?

Be real. They'll steal the whole bike first. 3 guys and a van. Rash of them around my area.
I park next to a light pole and I could chain it to the pole.

I'd like to see em steal it then.
:)

·
Turgid Member
1,248 Posts
People steal everything. That's why we have insurance.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

1 - 15 of 15 Posts