Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I would like to know if anybody knows how to clean these stains in the exhaust heat shield.

I took it to a carwash and they washed while still a little bit hot, and I dont know what kind of product they used.
I thought the would come out with a regular wash, but they didnt.

Any clues how to clean them??

Pictures attached

Thanks in advance

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Cylinder

Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Gas

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1,382 Posts

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I will lock that oven cleaner trick, into the grey memory locker for sure!

However on the OP's bike, the exhaust shield is painted... So i would test any and all ideas on a hidden area before jumping head first into that mess the carwash left him.... Yet one more reason I do my own cleaning and detailing... I would rather burn my time and KNOW it is as clean as is possible. Rather than take a chance with someone who could not care less if they mess up my bike...

·
Registered
742 Posts
Besides the high pressures used at car washes, those detergents are really harsh. Maybe not too much for cars, which don't usually have exposed exhausts and motors. Figure out a way to do it yourself.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Depending on whether it's plated or painted will determine how or even if you can clean it. I'd try a cleaner/wax product if painted like "KIT" or RALLY".
FWIW, if you ever melt a boot heel on a chrome pipe a propane torch to heat it and then spray cold water on it. The temperature extremes will make the plastic pop off. Not in one big piece, but just repeat as needed.

Sent from the secret underground bunker

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys

I would like to know if anybody knows how to clean these stains in the exhaust heat shield.

I took it to a carwash and they washed while still a little bit hot, and I dont know what kind of product they used.
I thought the would come out with a regular wash, but they didnt.

Any clues how to clean them??

Pictures attached

Thanks in advance

View attachment 799755
View attachment 799758
View attachment 799759
I use 4 ought steel wool combined with a dousing of simple green .

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Have you tried just soap and water with a good amount of hand scrubbing? Use something like a turkish towel and put some effort in to it. Cold pipes of course.
I have been wondering what ever made you think a carwash was a good idea for a motorcycle??

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would try some Polishing Compound (White) but make sure the shield is good and cool...the residue looks like it's soap...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts