Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trying to see how to drain the oil on my 97 1200 sportster? i found the plug to drain the clutch oil but where is the oil drain plug???:confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
thank you very much that is what i thought but i am new to working on harley. any idea how much and what kind of clutch oil to add?

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
Undo the hose clamp, pull the hose off the welded fitting on the battery tray and watch the oil flooooooow.
You've got to be kidding? What a mess that sounds like it will be !

Forget that, Run the oil for 3 more days and get a MityVac.

No question the best way to get ANY oil out of ANY cavity in ANY vehicle, no muss no fuss, and store it neatly way until you figure out what to do with it, is the MityVac. I find it so handy, and found such a good price on Ebay around $50 that I bought 2 of them. Comes with several smaller tubes so you can pull oil out of the dipstick tube on most vehicles.

If you use synthetic oil and change it regularly, that's about $35 worth of quality lubricant you've sucked up in the MityVac. Change the valve and it's a dispenser, that top quality oil would still be great lawnmower or garden tractor oil. I had a buddy who's daily driver beater truck burned some oil, he reused all the oil from his first quality vehicles in his beater truck.

here it's $46
Item number: 140255536206
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Flui...004QQitemZ140255536206QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

·
Registered
40,785 Posts
Actually, if its anything like the FXR setup (and it sounds like it is), its a very good system. Not messy at all. On the FXRs the oil comes out of the hose, and not the fitting it attaches to. The fitting is just used to plug the hose until the next oil change. Just run the hose to an empty oil bottle. No need for a drain pan or anything.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info i'll have to get one. just changed the oil and it was no problem no mess. the hose just clamped on to a plug. simple. the oil filter however had some oil spillage. would the vac empty that out as well?

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
No.
I buy best quality filters, and I figure they don't have to deal with very lumpy oil anyway,
so I don't change the filter every oil change.

·
Registered
40,785 Posts
thank you very much that is what i thought but i am new to working on harley. any idea how much and what kind of clutch oil to add?
20W-50 motor oil, or 75W-90 gear oil for the Trans/Primary.
28oz should just cover the bottom teeth in the clutch pack as Dave suggests.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts