Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
HawgDawg
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a '99 883 with 450 miles! Want to raise the rear a couple inches so the bike sits level. Suggestions?

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
This thread sucks without pics.

Why isn't it level now? What's been done to it?

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Unless you want to change it back, I think rear suspension is the easiest way.

Although, what's wrong with a beautiful big ass front wheel and a lower rear end?

Pics would really make this thread pop, man. :)

·
Retired citizen
23,371 Posts
You could adjust the rear shock preload stiffer, of course that'll give you a harsher ride.
Also you can lower the front by loosening the fork pinch bolts and raising the fork tubes higher in the triple clamps. With that make sure the front fender doesn't make contact with the frame. The front can be lowered about an inch without problems.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Measure your current shocks.
Buy the length rear shocks that came on the Sportsters that came with 21" front wheels (1200 Custom?).

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Do you want that for personal preference? I have a 21 inch wheel on the front with slammer shocks on the back so it's definitely not "level" but it rides and handles better in my opinion. Just curious what your goal is.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I am curious about the low miles. where did you get it and what was the explaination for the low miles.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Picked up a '99 883 with 450 miles! Want to raise the rear a couple inches so the bike sits level. Suggestions?
My '05 1200 Custom came with a 21" front wheel but I put a 19" alloy on and replaced the rear shocks with 13" ones. The wheel was on Craig's List for $75 and the shocks were on eBay for $50. Worked out great.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
4 year old thread

1 - 17 of 17 Posts