Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
JaxKing
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ll be honest and admit that I have laid my bike on its side recently. Now this is due to awkward footing on my part when I stopped and not keeping control of the weight. Thankfully, I was stopped and the layover was gentle. Neither the bike or I was hurt. However I expect my ego was more bruised than the bikes. I’m not sure if I could have picked it up by myself. Thanks to a Good Samaritan who stoppped we got it up in short order and I climbed back on and rode away.

What is the best way to pick up an 800 lb bike (2010 Road King) by yourself? I am 65 and not as strong as I used to be, but think I can get it up if I can just get the right leverage.

·
Super Moderator
4,109 Posts
Videos don't load for me so not sure if this is covered but look around first. Frequently the reason for the drop, may also make picking it up a challenge. Gravel, oil, uneven terrain can cause you to drop it and if you are too quick to try and pick it up, the same issues will make it harder to pick it back up. I know it is embarrassing to have your mighty steed laying down, but relax and know the surroundings, and maybe just snack on some crow and let someone come help. There is trying to pick up an 800 pound bike, then there is trying to do the same, with some oil residue on your soles...

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
I can't bend my knees enough to grab the rear crash bar. I carry a soft tie (12" double loop strap) in a saddlebag. With it looped around the rear bar and my hand, I am able to get my knees bent enough to lift the bike. And I do it s l o w l y, tiny step, tiny step.

·
Registered
11,059 Posts
How to pick up a bike vireos are crap. Dropped my FXSTC in drive way. No saddle bags no crash bars. Just about busted a vein picking up 700+ lying flat on ground. Still waiting for them to show that video. Not a Sporty or baggers laying over against bags and crash bars. Suggested that to dealer demo picking up a bike by smallest gal in attendance. Hey lay that Fatboy on ground flat. Silence was deafening.

·
weird member
1,939 Posts
How to pick up a bike vireos are crap. Dropped my FXSTC in drive way. No saddle bags no crash bars. Just about busted a vein picking up 700+ lying flat on ground. Still waiting for them to show that video. Not a Sporty or baggers laying over against bags and crash bars. Suggested that to dealer demo picking up a bike by smallest gal in attendance. Hey lay that Fatboy on ground flat. Silence was deafening.
The one time I dropped my FXSTC (the now wrecked one), It was on the right side, no highway bars or anything, all the way flat. The front had slid out in some sand turning into a parking lot.

I stood facing the bike, grabbed the handlebar and the seat, flipped it completely over the other side like a pancake. It didn't get vertical then fall to the left, I literally flipped it. But mine is an Evo, not a TC so it was only 650-ish lbs and I am young. Plus I had adrenaline pumping, both from going down and the embarassment of doing it in front of other people.

Needless to say, when I picked it up from it's left side, I went a little slower, ha ha. But I was able to get mine up without a struggle using the first technique in the first video. But, the foot rest acted like a fulcrum to get it from flat to resting on the footrest and tires, so that helped too.

·
Registered
539 Posts
The day i purchased my 1980 FX from my next door neighbor, he walked it over across the adjoining front lawns. As he got to the middle of my front yard he just let go of it... FLOP.. "You can't ride it if you can't pick it up" were his words. He taught me the ropes..

Turn the front wheel up.
Push the bike as if trying to push it forwards, as you push grip the front brake.
It WILL JUMP UP!
It WILL Jump ALL the way to the OTHER SIDE! So Slow down yer push near the top, or let go of the brake.
Anytime the bike is lying on its Right side, put the Jiffy stand out!

For some WEIRD reason it is more difficult to pick it up the 2nd time!

·
Registered
11,059 Posts
The one time I dropped my FXSTC (the now wrecked one), It was on the right side, no highway bars or anything, all the way flat. The front had slid out in some sand turning into a parking lot.

I stood facing the bike, grabbed the handlebar and the seat, flipped it completely over the other side like a pancake. It didn't get vertical then fall to the left, I literally flipped it. But mine is an Evo, not a TC so it was only 650-ish lbs and I am young. Plus I had adrenaline pumping, both from going down and the embarassment of doing it in front of other people.

Needless to say, when I picked it up from it's left side, I went a little slower, ha ha. But I was able to get mine up without a struggle using the first technique in the first video. But, the foot rest acted like a fulcrum to get it from flat to resting on the footrest and tires, so that helped too.
Dropped mine on left side with fine pee gravel under foot. Ten years ago and before my wreck leaving me with a stiff left knee still cant fully compress. At 6' it was hard enough get that low lifting her up. Pretty good shape for 59. Wheel was turned to left bars gave some leverage while trying to grab something besides seat frame. Did bend them some. More concerned with going to far and falling to right. Bent shifter lever up pretty bad. Bought a new one thinking it would break while trying bend it straight. Beat it back to match new one. Still on there today, new one still in bag just in case. Derby cover was scratched all to hell, replaced it. Cover is tougher than expected, lot weight resting on it. Mistress 3 was only a few months old from new. Nothing worse than seeing your new ride laying there like dead animal. Ride Safe

·
Registered
472 Posts
'Ain't no shame in that, Jack. 700+ pounds is still 700+ pounds. I dropped my Iron 883 once and have had a few close calls I was able to corral in at the last second. And I'm a might bit younger than you are, too, so give yourself some credit.

This is one of the best videos I've ever seen on the subject:

Apologies if the video doesn't embed. YouTube video title is: HOW TO LIFT A MOTORCYCLE OFF THE GROUND (Step By Step Guide) - by DanDanTheFireman

·
Registered
472 Posts
Great idea on the strap! On some days, my knees just don't want to cooperate. That plus a couple of back surgeries in my past...

Getting old ain't for sissies!
I'm 47 with nerve damage in both wrists and hands (among other health issues), so I definitely relate. Just told my wife the other night "If I'm this banged up now, what am I going to be like in another decade or two?" :frown :grin

Also, thanks for your service, brother! :usa

·
Registered
11,059 Posts
'Ain't no shame in that, Jack. 700+ pounds is still 700+ pounds. I dropped my Iron 883 once and have had a few close calls I was able to corral in at the last second. And I'm a might bit younger than you are, too, so give yourself some credit.

This is one of the best videos I've ever seen on the subject
Nice video. Now take the bags off. :| Great points on lifting save your back.

·
Registered
11,059 Posts
Ok curly. Take bags and crash bar off. Lay on ground start video again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Obviously get on the side the bike fell on. Always put the bike in gear, put kick-stand out too, squat down with your butt up against the side of the seat or as close as you can get, your legs are shoulder width apart, if its a bagger, grab the bar for the bag's mount, take other hand and pull handlebars toward you and slowly walk the bike up using your legs, as if you're backing up against the seat of the bike. The weight of the bike is going to push against you, hold in place, rest for a second after each step back, eventually its up on its wheels. I've found after initially dropping my bike, I'm shaking, so for me it was best to wait unil my adrenaline calmed. I'm a 60+ year old woman, 143lbs and this technique has worked for each time I dropped my Street Glide; once backing up in driveway another at a stop sign.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts