Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have loaded my 08 street bob on the back of my truck twice for 3-4 hour trips. I strap the back of bike from the frame but the front I am strapping to the top of the forks. I heard this is bad for the front suspension. Is there a better way to minimize the damage?

·
Registered
39,458 Posts
Thats the way I do it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
thats how they come from Harley dude. so, no, compressing the front forks a bit wont damage anything.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Front forks get damaged when ham-handed morons tighten the front down until it almost bottoms out. A good rule of thumb to go by, is:

Look at your front forks. There's a "dirt" line, where your normal suspension travel stops. From where your forks sit relaxed, tighten the bike, 1/2-2/3 of that travel distance, to that dirt-line.

This allows the bike to "flex" a little while in the vehicle, when the truck hits bumps, yet prevents the bike from bottoming out on it's own suspension.

Tighten the front first (kickstand side). Left front, then right front to balance it out.

Then secure the rear, to prevent it fronm moving around. There's no need to compress the rear, just secure it.

When taking the binders off, undo the rear first, then ALWAYS undo the right front first, then the left. (kickstand side).

Undoing the left, front first can pull the bike over to the right, and tip it over.

Buy quality straps. You get what you pay for, and they're going to be holdng an $18K+ motorcycle in a $30k+ truck. Now's not the time to skimp, and buy WalMart junk.....

·
"Ain't quite right"™
11,239 Posts
Maybe it's broke?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well speaking for myself, I know I've gone on numerous trips where I need to take a crap load of stuff with me, and def. can't do that on my bike. But def. need to have my bike with me as well. Can't haul a Camper with a bike.

·
Registered
276 Posts
thats what a tents for...

t-t-t-t-t-trailer queens

·
Registered
56 Posts
That's basicly what it is, a tent on wheels. I think most who have a trailer queen would probably just stay in motels though

·
EFFE
501 Posts
That's basicly what it is, a tent on wheels. I think most who have a trailer queen would probably just stay in motels though

My cousins ex trailered his bike to bikeweek. I told her to have him give me a call when he got here so I could make fun of him. He lives 2 hours away and rides an UC. F*cking P*ssy.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Trailered for a 2 hour ride?!? Hell if you don't trust your bike to make it, fix it or get rid of it! Or maybe the big, bad, hiway is just too scarey!

·
EFFE
501 Posts
Trailered for a 2 hour ride?!? Hell if you don't trust your bike to make it, fix it or get rid of it! Or maybe the big, bad, hiway is just too scarey!
Thus why I called him a f*cking p*ssy.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Shit, I know it wasn't good for the bike, but 1 time I rode about 10-15 miles on a flat front tire. Turning and slowing was a b***h, but centifical force kept it up will rolling. Yeah, call me a dumda**

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts