Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am no expert, but I figure that this little tutorial will help someone who wants to do a stage 1 upgrade, but doesn't know how to do the carburetor re jetting themselves.
1. Locate the air cleaner. (If you can't find it, maybe you shouldn't be doing this so I didn't post a picture lol)

2. Look under the air cleaner and you will see the bottom of the carburetor, the bowl. There are 4 screws that hold the bowl on.

These are the 2 by the air cleaner, and the other 2 are by the cylinders. It's a lot easier to remove the bowl with the air cleaner off, but if you have patience you don't have to. That is up to you.
2012-04-16_18-50-52_915.jpg

3. Unscrew those 4 screws. I used a shorty screwdriver with locking pliers attached. This way you can push up and turn with ease, and not strip the screws.
2012-04-16_18-38-56_786.jpg

4. When the bowl comes off, use a rag to soak up all the gas. I don't like wasting gas at 4 bucks a gallon either but you kinda have to. You can also run the bike with the petcock on "OFF", until it runs out of gas, but some gas will still be in the bowl.
2012-04-16_18-44-46_631.jpg
2012-04-16_18-44-53_289.jpg
5. Now when you look under again, you will see the main jet,(larger jet) which is the one that sticks out, and the slow jet (smaller) which is way in the little hole. Hard to get a picture of.
2012-04-16_18-45-27_744.jpg

6. Now simply hold a 5/16" or 8mm wrench to the hex threads on the main jet emulsion tube and unscrew the main jet carefully with a flat head screwdriver.
For the pilot also carefully unscrew with a small flat head screwdriver.
Note: Main jet is the big one on the middle/bottom of the picture.
Pilot (slow) Jet: is the one to the right and up from the main in the picture.
The thing on top is.......anyone??

Then, reassemble in reverse order and you are done. Stage 1 or whatever you are doing is complete.

Note:
You can replace the Phillips head screws from the bowl if you want with Allen head screws to make it easier to remove without stripping the heads of the screws.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just did this on my EVO a couple days ago. Didn't see this post, but good info here.

I will just add that if you get some allen head screws and use them to replace the factory screws it's a lot easier to take apart. When I rebuilt my carb and installed a CV Performance tuner kit it came with the screws and when I had to change my main jet it took all of 5 minutes.

Also, if you close the petcock and run the bike till it shuts off there will still be a little gas in the bowl so be careful.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just did this on my EVO a couple days ago. Didn't see this post, but good info here.

I will just add that if you get some allen head screws and use them to replace the factory screws it's a lot easier to take apart. When I rebuilt my carb and installed a CV Performance tuner kit it came with the screws and when I had to change my main jet it took all of 5 minutes.

Also, if you close the petcock and run the bike till it shuts off there will still be a little gas in the bowl so be careful.
Thanks for adding that and I forgot to say to run the bike out of gas with the fuel off.

Ill add both of those things to the main post

·
Registered
22 Posts
Oh, one more thing. You may need an 8mm open end wrench for the emulsion tube. Sometimes when you try and unscrew the main jet the whole tube will loosen. If you remove the tube the needle jet will come out too. So if you need to use an 8mm wrench to hold the emulsion tube while you back out the main jet.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, one more thing. You may need an 8mm open end wrench for the emulsion tube. Sometimes when you try and unscrew the main jet the whole tube will loosen. If you remove the tube the needle jet will come out too. So if you need to use an 8mm wrench to hold the emulsion tube while you back out the main jet.
I mentioned to hold it I thought...
But Ill make sure and put the wrench size in their too

I had to hold mine too

edit:
Just added it all
Thanks for the input. I am going to get some better pictures sometime when my friend comes over with his fancy shmancy camera. My phone ones aren't bad though

1 - 5 of 5 Posts