Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Now I have a 1993 XLH1200 with the original Cover still on. I removed it but simply cant find a way to get that clutch cable off. Could you provide any details on this process for the older Sporties? Here is a pic of what I am looking at.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
fully slack your cable( thats the adjuster area about halfway up the cable)

then yous will have enough slack to turn the piece the cable is hooked too - and then pull the cable end off said piece

·
Registered
10 Posts
fully slack your cable( thats the adjuster area about halfway up the cable)

then yous will have enough slack to turn the piece the cable is hooked too - and then pull the cable end off said piece
Ok thanks cable is now off.. But one last question. How do I remove this other stuff off the old Primary Cover to swap to the new one?

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,666 Posts
Did you ever figure out how to move the chain tensioner to the new cover?
You're telling me you have to torch it off!?

It might be easier and cheaper to buy a new one. Or does that have to be welded on also?
NO,LOL

I'm not a sportster guy so re confirm with other source but believe the tensioner will stay on/in primary and cover can be removed and it will stay in place.

·
Registered
3 Posts
my primary cover is stuck as I cannot remove the shifter arm bolt. I have taken out the bolt but the arm will not come loose.
Any suggestions?

Tools you will need:
Inch Pound Torque wrench
3/8in drive ratchet
Hex head sockets in the pictured sizes (not allen wrenches)
Torx sockets as pictured
View attachment 170833

1. Mid controls: Remove the shifter arm bolt as pictured taking the allen screw all the way out then pulling the lever off. You may want to mark the location it was on so that you can match it up on re installation but if you slide it on and sit on the bike you will know right away if it is a tooth off or not. Just personal preference on where you place it.
View attachment 170753

2. Forward controls: Remove the shift linkage in basically the same fashion as above.
View attachment 170761
3. The whole reason I am doing this is because of that massive leak!
View attachment 170769
4. Take one or both of the footpeg bolts out if you have mid pegs. Disregard this if you have forward controls.
View attachment 170777

5. Remove the primary inspection cover with the two screws. Be careful not to loose any of the three oil seals. One for each bolt and a big one on the back of the cover.
View attachment 170785

6. Take all of the derby cover bolts off. Yea…mine is so scratched up from my boots, salt, dirt, snow, rain…you name it.
View attachment 170793

7-8. Take the clutch adjustment spring out
View attachment 170801
View attachment 170809

9. Look along the frame rail above the oil filter for the clutch cable adjuster
View attachment 170817

·
Retired citizen
22,920 Posts
my primary cover is stuck as I cannot remove the shifter arm bolt. I have taken out the bolt but the arm will not come loose.
Any suggestions?
Pry the arm off the shaft. Put the pry bar between the shift arm and the primary cover then pry. A squirt of WD-40 might help.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts