Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Retired citizen
23,359 Posts
Dawn dish soap in the sink then rinse and shake and air dry ... simple !

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Try not to immerse the filter without sealing the insides. If you do, some of the dirt gets on the inside of the element, then into the engine. I just spray mine with soap, then rinse from the inside with moderate water pressure.

·
HawgDawg
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,328 Posts
Try not to immerse the filter without sealing the insides. If you do, some of the dirt gets on the inside of the element, then into the engine. I just spray mine with soap, then rinse from the inside with moderate water pressure.
:thumbsup shake or let air dry or both

a little water won't hurt

·
Registered
751 Posts
I just washed mine, and started out with Dawn dish liquid. I must admit I let it get a little on the dirty side. It just didn't seem to get it clean. I have a K&N air filter cleaning solution that sprays on, and I will say the crap really came out of it.

·
Registered
39,472 Posts
Only put enough water in the sink/bucket that the level only comes up to about half the width of the rubber seal or a bit more on the filter.

Then just continually dab the filter into the soap and water while rotating the filter till it comes clean.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Baaararahar, sound like my Dad pumping gas at the station with a cig in his mouth. Thanks for the advice.

We use to wash the shop floors down with gas, does a heck of a job and it use to be cheap. We did at least until the heater kicked on. My brother still jumps out of his shoes 25 years later if you come up behind him and clap your hands loud!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Blow the filter out with 150 psi of compressed air. Then throw the filter in the washing machine with one cap full of TIDE and the OL's white bath towels. Wash on the warm setting. Remove and place in dryer on the delicate cycle with one fabric softener. Remove when dry and then go buy a new filter.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
You missed a step 9lives.

Hire a good divorce lawyer.

·
old scoot coot
3,684 Posts
when i got my road king filter looked good. after a year(too long) i took it out and it was really black dirty. i bought a new one. then i tried dawn on the old one didnt seem to touch the grime, i then washed it out in gasoline, blew out and air dried and it looks new now.

·
Banned
71 Posts
when i got my road king filter looked good. after a year(too long) i took it out and it was really black dirty. i bought a new one. then i tried dawn on the old one didnt seem to touch the grime, i then washed it out in gasoline, blew out and air dried and it looks new now.
Try you some Greased Lightning from the Dollar Store....that stuff will clean most everything I've run into . I use it to clean the motor and underside of the transmission after a service, as well as the airfilter . :thumb :thumb

·
HawgDawg
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, I changed mechanics when I saw my old one looking into the holes in the top of a battery with a cig in his mouth.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts