Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or I should title this "not very".

Shamefully I admit that this weekend is the first ride of any distance I've been able to get in since buying my '08 Street Glide last fall.

And it wasn't even much distance, about 90 miles south to Awesome Biker Nights in Sioux City IA.

I was a bit surprised though. Loaded two up and pulling a trailer I found 6th gear pretty much useless. Admittedly we were pushing into a viscious head wind, 30mph at times, but in 6th gear rpm would drop close to 23k and it sounded like I was really dogging the engine.

5th gear was fine, we run about 72mph right at 3k rpm.

Does that sound about right ? Is 3k rpm acceptable, ok for the engine, for sustained super slab travel ?

btw I burned 3.5 gal to go 97 miles, that wind was a beotch!

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Or I should title this "not very".

Shamefully I admit that this weekend is the first ride of any distance I've been able to get in since buying my '08 Street Glide last fall.

And it wasn't even much distance, about 90 miles south to Awesome Biker Nights in Sioux City IA.

I was a bit surprised though. Loaded two up and pulling a trailer I found 6th gear pretty much useless. Admittedly we were pushing into a viscious head wind, 30mph at times, but in 6th gear rpm would drop close to 23k and it sounded like I was really dogging the engine.

5th gear was fine, we run about 72mph right at 3k rpm.

Does that sound about right ? Is 3k rpm acceptable, ok for the engine, for sustained super slab travel ?

btw I burned 3.5 gal to go 97 miles, that wind was a beotch!
It is the trailer that is killing you! The weight and rolling resistance is making it harder for you to use 6th. That being said, sustaining 3k rpm won't hurt the engine in even the slightest way.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
GO AVS
890 Posts
09 road king, I use 6th gear at 60 mph plus. The trailer was killing you. There is no point to my fifth gear on my FJ when towing. All that weight dragging will kill an overdrive gear which is all 6th is

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I usually don't use 6th unless I'm going 70 or better. On my Breakout 70 in 5th is around 2900 or so rpm. But yeah, I would say 6th pulling a trailer would be harsh.

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,082 Posts
Rode 2 up for 180 miles today. Used 6th for everything over 60mph and it did great. Plus I averaged 43.2mpg.

I love my 6th gear.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
I only use 6 gear cause,I dont have 7 gears...

·
Try'n to behave
5,858 Posts
What's this "6th Gear" you all speak of? That would be a whole other 1/2 of a tranny I would need. :stir

:laugh

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've used 6th as low as 45 & 50 depending on the road. I can also be running 75 on the interstate and downshift into 4th and kick it past tractor trailors in a flash. Once a jap bike wanted to screw with me on the interstate and I hit forth and ran it through 5th then sixth, I do beleive he was shocked, the bike continued to excelerate.

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
I typically use 6th gear at speeds over 60mph.

·
Registered
672 Posts
If I Go By The Speeds Indicated In The Owners Manual For A 2007 Touring Bike ( Which I Own) 6Th Gear Is Supposed To Be Obtainable @ 55 Mph. That said, If I'm Not Doing At the Least 65 In 6Th (Preferably 70) The Engine chatters Real Bad. Pretty Useless Around My Area Unless I'm On The Interstate Away From Philadelphia.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Love that 6th gear, great above 60. By the way, the gas mileage is terrific, see what happens without the trailer.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No wind and no trailer my mpg is right at 40. It is stage 1.

Like I say that head wind was brutal on the way down, and on the way back I was hauling all the crap the ole lady bought and all the crap that everybody else's ole lady bought. I had more weight on that trailer than I was really comfortable with, but the first stop to unload most of it was only 75 mi.

For sure there is a price to pay for pulling a trailer, but I love that damn thing, turns my SG into a pickup.

The cooler is kept empty until my destination. I don't want too much tonque weight. Trailer is Harbor Frieght, about $400 on sale with 20% coupon.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had a 2002 Fat Boy. At 70 I always thought that I forgot to shift into 5th. Only to find out I was in 5th already. I now have a 2012 SG. There is a 6th gear light on my speedo, telling me I'm in 6th. I use only 5th up to 70. Then shift up to 6th. I ride 75-80 on highways. I love going into 6th, and watch the tach. drop and I'm CRUZIN.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts