Harley Davidson Forums banner

How you all doing?

1K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  Vogon Poet 
#1 ·
So I'm using the mileage excuse to justify my '02 Road King. It seems to work for the family. I grew up on dirt bikes and this is my first experience using motorcycles on roads for like, regular travel and stuff. One thing I noticed with my bike is that it seems to have a hard time coasting. Even down hills, when I pull the clutch she seems to drag to a halt pretty quickly. I checked the brakes, and aside from the front disk rub noise (normal), there isn't anything I can find wrong. Do these cruisers just have high resistance in the 5-speed gear box? Dirt bikes are all throttle or all brake, so never tried coasting one. Wouldn't know if it's normal LOL!

Thanks

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#14 ·
OK I should probably start a new thread somewhere then, (like this?) this was my first post and I picked this ultra-clean bike up on Craigslist. I just polished the clearcoat off my front forks, which means I took the front wheel and fender off already. The bearings are perfect, wheel spins forever and is dead silent. Brake pads have lots of meat on them and they do rub the disks a little, I read that this is normal when the bike is lifted. I can turn the wheel easily but it doesn't spin forever like it does otherwise. There were lots of air bubbles in the front brakes, and the fluid wasn't purple like the DOT-5 I just replaced it with.

It sounds like I need to check the rear bearings, and I guess that means taking the belt off?

#9 ·
Welcome from VA

#11 ·
Not normal.

Get it off the ground on a bike jack and check for drag in neutral. Somebody you know that rides will have a jack to loan you if you don't have one. Less than a C-note at Harbor Freight and you are going to want/need one sooner than later anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.