Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
psychicrhino
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Yall,

Had a few ratty dirt bikes in my late teens and rode a xt350 Yammy dual sport for a few years during college and just after in the late 90's. Have rented a few big twins over the years when I would be away at conferences. After not having a bike for 13 years, I finally just bought my first HD about a month ago to use as a 130 mile round trip daily commuter. Is a 2004 Sporty xl883c. Chose it for the look, the 4.5 gal tank and supposed 60 mpg abilities. About a month ago also got a 99 600 Shadow for my wife to replace the 250 Night Hawk she had through college where we started dating.

Also thought she might like the Sporty and allow me an upgrade later on. Looked at a couple hundred sportys on Craigslist and several in person. Narrowed the search down to a 2004-2006 model with the rubber mounted engine and pre-EFI carbs. This sporty had 9k miles, forward controls, some VH pipes, flame badging/pegs/grips, very nice looker, garage kept with 2 tone red/silver paint. Give it a 8-9/10 in the looks for paint, etc. Had a rattle in the bottom end the guy "swore just started so I stopped riding it". He thought it might be a compensator nut, I told him maybe - but could be a rod. Was asking $3500 - got it for $2500.

Got it home and pulled the primary cover and found the primary chain was so loose that it had just started slapping the case. Retorqued the primary nut while I was there, replaced the primary gasket ($30 from HD) and adjusted the primary chain. Upgraded the crappy derby cover T27 bolts (had to drill the heads off 3 to remove) for some nice SS knurled allen bolts ($6) from the hardware store. Didn't replace the seal on the shifter so have a little leak there I will watch till I pull the cover again.

Oh, the battery cover was missing too when I got her (not mentioned in the ad or by seller on phone) so HD priced me $170 ish out the door for a black one, I went on Ebay and got a heavy steel chrome one for $75 to my door. Looks good to me. Also bought a cheapy windshield on Ebay that bolts on the handlebars. Had no idea how to size one or exactly what I wanted. So for $50 the adjustable one gives me a really good Idea of what I really want - I think PlexiFairing 3 is what I may order when the weather cools off. I am 6'2" so I think the height will be just about right for me based on my playing around with the WS I have now.

I also ordered a pair of Road King Shocks on ebay for $55 delivered (just came today) along with a shock relocation set of tabs ($25) so I can lower the height if I need to for my wife later on. Also just got in a stock-like engine guard ($50) from ebay to hang some extended highway pegs on ($50ish aftermarket extended brackets and new-pull off HD pegs). Oh, and after lots of reading I decided I wanted to try a mustang touring seat with driver backrest. They were going to be about $450 for the solo new. So, back to Ebay where I found a lightly used one (just got it and does look new to me) for $220 delivered.

And I think my choke cable has given up the ghost so for $20 went ahead and ordered one so I could just replace it when I pulled it apart. Hmmm, guess that is it so far. Will probably start working on some of the upgrades this weekend.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Welcome from central Florida.

Reactions: psychicrhino

·
American
28,662 Posts
Welcome from Indiana.

·
812 Posts
Welcome from Maryland.

Jonathan

·
2,327 Posts
Welcome from New Hampshire

·
Registered
400 Posts
Welcome from Waco, TX. Good intro, lots of good people and information here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts