Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to California (Bay Area) and new to riding. I learned to ride on dirt bikes 20 years ago but didn't ride any streetbikes until I was in Iraq. Saddam gave bikes to his Feddayeen Army, so anybody riding was fairgame. After we "detained" them it was my job to get the bikes back to the FOB, needless to say that was a lot of fun dodging horrible drivers, huge pot holes, and people generally trying to run you over. Now that I am commuting to work everyday in the San Francisco area I find it isn't much different then Baghdad, horrible drivers, big pot holes and people trying to kill you, damn its fun!

Anyway, I am the proud owner of a 2003 Dyna Low Rider and a successful grad of the rider basic course.

·
Steve
262 Posts
Welcome aboard Iron Duke. If your riding into San Francisco every day be cereful out there as I ride the Bay Area a lot and its crazy out there during commute time.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Great story! Welcome to the site and we look forward to your point of view.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,188 Posts
Welcome and Thanks for your service.
Perfect, the perfect greeting and welcome with thanks.

Be careful out there.

My pet paranoia about riding in dense hi-speed traffic, keep in mind your normal instinct of the right following distance doesn't take into account killer road junk coming out from under the car you are following. Because of the large number of pickups and SUVs the chances of the car in front of you being able to step over something that will kill you is high.

LowRiders Rule!

·
Registered
39,504 Posts
Im working just a couple minutes north of you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your right Nathang, heck I just heard on the radio where there's a rash of manhole covers being stolen for their scrap value, as if there weren't enough hazards to watch out for!

And thanks all for the friendly replies!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts