Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
HawgDawg
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran out of gas at 75mph right where two freeways merge!! Cars swerving all over the place, burning rubber, lucky to be alive and make it to the side. Low fuel light never came on.

Lesson: Don't trust the low fuel light!! Check your fuel frequently!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
11,801 Posts
Glad you didn't get hurt. I'm sure that is a lesson you will retain forever.

One of the few "good" habits I have is to reset a trip odometer every time I fill up. And that's the one I usually leave displayed so no matter what "r miles" may say and no matter that the fuel light doesn't come on when my trip odometer gets close to 150 I'm starting to look for gas. Not interested in seeing how far I can go--150 miles is fine and doesn't give me any cause for concern.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,118 Posts
Yup, set that trip don't trust the low fuel light.. just one more tip, always take into consideration how your riding on that tank, adjust your mileage accordingly. Don't ask me how I know. :D

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
Glad you didn't get hurt. I'm sure that is a lesson you will retain forever.

One of the few "good" habits I have is to reset a trip odometer every time I fill up. And that's the one I usually leave displayed so no matter what "r miles" may say and no matter that the fuel light doesn't come on when my trip odometer gets close to 150 I'm starting to look for gas. Not interested in seeing how far I can go--150 miles is fine and doesn't give me any cause for concern.
^^^^^^^^
I know when that gas light "should" go on and look for gas to play it safe

·
Señor Member
19,803 Posts
Yup, set that trip don't trust the low fuel light.. just one more tip, always take into consideration how your riding on that tank, adjust your mileage accordingly. Don't ask me how I know. :D

I think the whole forum knows how you know, bro. :laugh

I'm so glad that went down. Such fun memories we have, man. We're a couple more rides away from having a book to write.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,118 Posts

I'm so glad that went down. Such fun memories we have, man. We're a couple more rides away from having a book to write.
Our rides are memorable thats a given. Wouldn't change a thing. :thumb

·
The Fighting Chicken
4,006 Posts

Who's going to take the time to write a book about a bunch of Laughin Yuppies?

·
Registered
12,954 Posts
My fuel gauge goes to almost 1/2 tank after approx. 50 miles. Then it creeps down. Have the Tach/Speedo combo. Has a fuel gauge. Reads fairly accurate to 3/4 mark, then it stops even after the fuel light comes on. Mean while mechanical one is down on empty.

·
Registered
556 Posts
My fuel gauge goes to almost 1/2 tank after approx. 50 miles. Then it creeps down. Have the Tach/Speedo combo. Has a fuel gauge. Reads fairly accurate to 3/4 mark, then it stops even after the fuel light comes on. Mean while mechanical one is down on empty.
Take the tank off and the fuel pump/fuel assembly out. I bet you have a hose touching the arm level. The instructions state to not let it touch. Reason is it gives a false reading as the level in the tank recedes. This would be an easy fix. Just loosen a tie or clamp and reposition the hose by twisting and reclamp.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I have never trusted a fuel gauge on a bike. They are like liberal politicians. They lie. Then get you into all kinds of trouble if you believe them.

·
Registered
12,954 Posts
Take the tank off and the fuel pump/fuel assembly out. I bet you have a hose touching the arm level. The instructions state to not let it touch. Reason is it gives a false reading as the level in the tank recedes. This would be an easy fix. Just loosen a tie or clamp and reposition the hose by twisting and reclamp.
I need to change fuel filter check it out... Thanks

·
HawgDawg
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all your inputs. The shaker here is that it happened with no warning at the worst possible location, merge of two freeways with 4 lanes on either side of me, and the bike died instantly. Switched to reserve and nothing. Had it happened on a regular residential street, no prob., but being in the center of 8 lanes and getting to the side without getting plastered all over the freeway is just a friggin miracle. I owe some of that, I'm sure to my highly fluorescent vest.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
My Dyna has a gauge on the tank, my Electra has a gauge in the faring and a low warning light. The only thing I pay attention to is trip meter "A". Always have, always will. I won't try and fool anyone by claiming I never forgot to look at trip "A".

1 - 20 of 47 Posts