Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, after getting the RG rebuilt from the laydown, I finally start getting the courage to get back on it. For the record, this is a 2005 Road Glide converted to an Ultra. 26000 miles, I am second owner, only put about 1000 on it before I wrecked. Simple lowside laydown, cosmetic damage.

I've been riding around the neighborhood a little and finally ventured out on the highway. 10 miles into the run, and the clutch is slipping. All gears. It has a hydraulic clutch on it, so no adjustments needed as far as I can tell. That being said, I must deduce the last owner (who had more money than me if he could convert this into an Ultra) didn't know much about riding and smoked the clutch. I didn't ride it enough before I wrecked.

Now, I am a motor trained cop, so I know a little about slipping and dragging for low speed manuevers. Clutch disengages just fine so I don't think there is anything with the hydrastics.

Question, new clutch time? If so, which one? SC? This is not my first Harley, last one was my 1997 FLHR, which had 50,000 some on it when I sold it and I see it regularly and it has no problems.

Second thought, I am having some "bang-grind" issues when hot starting, and am thinking the starter drive. Anything else I should get done while the primary and clutch are torn out?

Thanks, guys!!!

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
It could be the clutch is worn out, but it would be unusual. Most H-Ds that are basic stock/stage 1 bikes get 60-80K or more out of the clutch. 26K is very low mileage to have a clutch wear out. I'd certainly call it premature.

I have never seen the hydraulic clutch on a H-D, but they all have to work basically the same.

It could also be that there is something in the mechanism that is binding and not allowing the clutch spring to re-seat the plates.

If the clutch does need to be replaced, I'd just go with the stock set up. In most instances, they last a long, long time.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Even with the hydro clutch the clutch basket still needs occasional adjustment, right? I would start there.

Second guess, if the clutch didn't slip before she was laid down, would be to check that nothing is binding up the clutch handle or actuator keeping either from returning all the way.

Annoying to have problems. Good luck.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
I'd go through the manual, make sure you've got the proper amount of fluid and follow the procedure to bleed the system. You might have some crud on the piston, or someone simply overfilled which would not allow it to release completely.. just my .02

·
Mr. MojoRisen
1,241 Posts
Even with the hydro clutch the clutch basket still needs occasional adjustment, right? I would start there.

Second guess, if the clutch didn't slip before she was laid down, would be to check that nothing is binding up the clutch handle or actuator keeping either from returning all the way.

Annoying to have problems. Good luck.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

X2 on this. Check this before spending money or taking to much apart.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Think I solved the problem. The hydraulic line runs by the exhaust, and when I installed the Bassani system, the exhaust mounting bracket put the pipes against the hydraulic line. I'm thinking it heated up the fluid, expanded it, and partially disengaged the clutch. I readjusted the bracket, put some heatwrap around the hydraulic line, and the problem appears to have gone away. Next step is to flush and bleed the hydraulic line.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts