Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For various reasons, none of which seem valid in hindsight, I didn't ride for almost 2 weeks recently. When I ended that madness and took off on an impromptu little cruise with no planned purpose other than just to ride, all of the feelings and sensory impulses of the ride just seemed to come rushing back with heightened awareness. I was, very simply, nearly overcome with a feeling of well-being and peace. I was happy.

Then I thought about the many riders that at some point have to park their bike, plug in the battery tender and put on the cover, and then not get to take it out for several MONTHS!

I don't know how y'all do it. I really don't.

--

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
Now you know why you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a Therapist office.
And why I live in the NW...
and Cause I can go to Washington and buy a doobie at the store.

·
Wayward Son
23,356 Posts
It`s all part of what you get used to. Lived in Ohio all my life. Grew up with a riding season and an off season.
Yea, off season stinks. Always used it to go over the bike mechanically and then give it a good detailing. It served to get me many a carefree mile in the up season.
When with the Club was always assigned to Tail gunner. Was a compliment to their confidence in me and the condition of my bike. Many of them were riding newer Evo`s. My old Shovel never let me down.

Having T~S down is killing me. But sometimes you just have to accept things. Even when you do not like them.
Life ain`t fair.........

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
For various reasons, none of which seem valid in hindsight, I didn't ride for almost 2 weeks recently. When I ended that madness and took off on an impromptu little cruise with no planned purpose other than just to ride, all of the feelings and sensory impulses of the ride just seemed to come rushing back with heightened awareness. I was, very simply, nearly overcome with a feeling of well-being and peace. I was happy.

Then I thought about the many riders that at some point have to park their bike, plug in the battery tender and put on the cover, and then not get to take it out for several MONTHS!

--
Well Dave, I've been pondering a post about that, but sometimes your body just can't deal with the cold all that well anymore.. its a bit(h when that reality check bounces.

·
The Fighting Chicken
4,006 Posts
Why do you think the I'm drunk thread sees so many posts in the winter and only a few on weekends in the summer?

·
Super Moderator
12,761 Posts
Whats a "off season" . :biker:

:coffee:
When moderators go into overdrive killing threads and banning people who go bat #### crazy over the winter months.

I'll be riding :D

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
A few things for me

1) The riding here in Upstate NY is so nice that it is well worth the wait until you can enjoy it.

2) Most my family and friends are up here and realistically that stuff is more important to me than riding ever could be.

3) As much as I live bikes I also loved trucks and cars and...anything with a motor. I simply explore and enjoy those things when I can't ride.

4) It forces me to clean up, repair, and modify the bike in ways I wouldn't do if I could be riding.

5) I like snow to a degree...not as much as we get here but I do like it in small doses...I hate salt though. Hate it hate it hate it.

6) I think only having a season to ride helps keep your passion in it. You always look forward to riding knowing you have limited days, and that feeling of getting on the bike in spring...priceless.

Would I like to move someday? Yea probably. Get out of the cold and the salt (did I mention how much I hate salt) and ride all year round. But for now, this is where I live, I'm mostly happy with it (not the politics) so I deal with its disadvantages.

·
Alberta Strong
4,478 Posts
Whats a "off season" . :biker:

:coffee:
"Off Season" The time spent modifying the scooter, Working overtime to save enough money up to attend the "Collision" and various other meet and greets, Increasing your post count, and Busting the balls of other Forum members.

·
Registered
934 Posts

--
Dave!!! Keep riding for us!! My season is long gone.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
Winter for Northern motorcycle riders must be like deployment for armed forces spouses. You just gotta remember the last you got, and wait for the next you get! :eek

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
I never really put mine away and usually get a ride in every other week or so, but winter is Jeep time, gun building and motorcycle maintenance.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,678 Posts
Now you know why you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a Therapist office.
I rode my bike to a court ordered Psychological evaluation once...I guess I did O.K??:what?

·
Registered
147 Posts
we ride year round with heated gear no prob - gets to 20deg at night and 50deg by 2pm we just stay on main roads when the sun is out at 4500 feet elevation roads are warm and dry - just have to worry about the area around a curve with trees where sun doesn't shine could be icy

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
Hell I even have a set of Gerbings here in Texas.....lol

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Get in a few rides on snow machines thru the winter, it helps...
It's a blast when your cooking 115 mph across the lake or rockin the corners on the trails...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts