Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Union Ironworker
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of years ago I decided I wanted to buy a cruiser, I did some research and found that the Yamaha Road Star appealed to my liking (because of price, size of engine and the overall look of the bike).
I searched the internet and found a certain forum that catered to Road Star only owners and joined.
Since then I found the motorcycle of my dreams (which happened to be a Harley Road King) but I still drop in to the Road Star forum from time to time....here are my observations...

1. They bash Harley`s to no end...there seems to be a misconception that Harley`s are slow..use obsolete technology and are unreliable.

2. Everyone on the forum is trying to use Harley parts to make their bike look like a Harley.

3. The big Yamaha seems to come with it`s own set of problems..posters are always looking to fix major issues that, in my way of thinking, puts their ride in the same category as what they think Harley`s have in observation 1.

4. They continually run into people who think their Yamaha is a Harley....this just makes me think there are a lot of unobservant people out there.

5. There is a lot of ``Harley`s come with a lot of Japanese parts``.

I really don`t want to bash these peoples choice of ride, but, I own a Harley with over 75000 miles on the odometer...when I`m finally willing to part with it (read that..IF.. I`m willing to part with it) I`ll look forward to a return of about 80 percent of my purchase price....and when my Road King was originally bought all the profits stayed in North America...which I figure helped the economy.

·
Registered
274 Posts
i was talking to a devoted Yamaha guy i met one day at a bar during the Sturgis rally. he spent a lot of time telling me how Yamahas are superior to Harleys. He said that "all the mechanics he used to work with when he worked at an Harley dealership" rode Yamaha's, not Harleys.

i told him that i'd bet that most of the people who work assembling Rolex watches probably wear Timex watches.

that pretty much ended our conversation.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
i was talking to a devoted Yamaha guy i met one day at a bar during the Sturgis rally. he spent a lot of time telling me how Yamahas are superior to Harleys. He said that "all the mechanics he used to work with when he worked at an Harley dealership" rode Yamaha's, not Harleys.

i told him that i'd bet that most of the people who work assembling Rolex watches probably wear Timex watches.

Nice... I like that!!

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
I think most that bash, have never ridden a Harley. They bash out of ignorance. And they are also afraid they will like it.

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
I think most of them wished they had a Harley...when I was riding a Honda, I had a list of reasons why I could justify riding a Honda....but I really wanted a Harley..:laugh

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
People are ignorant of the Harley "thing" if they've never owned one. But I'm ignorant of their Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda and Suzuki cruiser thing, I've never owned one of them.

I do like my wife's Honda CRF230M super motard, it's a tough little bike and a blast to ride around town, it demands your hooligan side manifest itself! :eek:

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
people that trash hd are just trying to justify not haveing one for what ever reason. when i got my first harley, a 93 heritage, it was a completly different experience. after that i figured that jap bikes were like some women, fun to ride but you dont want to get caught on one

·
Village Idiot
2,300 Posts
My first harley experience was an AMF sporty and I hated it. I spent years riding Yamaha (FJ1100), Suzuki (GSX series), Kawa (LTD series) and Honda (70s model CB550Four) when on the street and when racing motocross mostly Honda and Yamahas. I always loved the look and style of HDs but that first experience ruined it for me all that time. My best friend finally painted the picture like this, "If the first girl you kissed was abad kisser, are you never gonna kiss a girl again?" I got my UC and have loved it since...

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,506 Posts
1. They bash Harley`s to no end...there seems to be a misconception that Harley`s are slow..use obsolete technology and are unreliable.

2. Everyone on the forum is trying to use Harley parts to make their bike look like a Harley.
Ran across the "obsolete technology" statements this weekend. I fended him off, but I would like to be able to make a better arguement.

When my friend bought his Honda Fury, he spent a lot of time trying to convince everyone that it looked like a Harley, and with his V&H Big Shots it sounded like one. I said, "That's cool. How many Harley owners do you hear bragging about how they made their bike sound just like a Honda?"

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,009 Posts
I call the Yamaha a YamaHarley or a wannabeHarley. The Yami riders tend to not like that very much. Tough $#!T.

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
Boom, yup, Why buy a bike that looks like a Harley or make it look like a Harley if you hate Harley so much. I met 2 guys at a bar that started telling me all about how their Road Stars were superior in every way, they were rabid about it. They both said they sold their Harleys for the better Yamahas, when I asked what models they One said a Dyna the other said Road King. I asked what the acronym letters were and neither could answer and asked what I meant. I said like a FLW or a FXC they both said some stupid designations letters and not FXD and FLHR. I realized they simply couldn’t afford a Harley, didn’t know anything about them and were morons. Looked at them, smiled, slammed my beer, spun on my heels and walked out of the bar without saying anything.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
We all know about the Harley bashin" thing and viceversa blah,blah!!

I think its funny cause all the guys I know with yamaharleys or kawaharleys whatever you call them would trade them for a Harley no matter how much they say otherwise.

Not to say they don't like their bikes...I would ride anything rather then ride nothing..might just be me!!

Remember the Harley guys don't wave to import thread:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
I was looking at the Yamaharley road star at a dealership. They had after market pipes on it and it sounded great but not like a hog, it sounded like a small block V8. That was it's only selling point, the sales guy said it sounded better than a harley. Then my buddy had me rent a Heritage and ride with him and his Road king on a 400 mile trip, stupid harley... was a dream come true.

·
Harley Rider
10,489 Posts
The Harley bashing is just something they like to do because they couldn't afford one.:rofl: However, the Yamaha is probably a decent ride as long as you don't try to make it something it isn't. I guess opinions are like a55holes, everybody's got one.:biker:

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

Good one. Hard to argue with logic like that. :thumb

·
Go SEAHAWKS!!
807 Posts
geez guys, why all the hate? all the "they probably couldn't afford one" elitist attitude?

Take pity on your poor, unfortunate and highly mis-informed Brethren and just hand'em a quarter and tell them it's your donation to their "gonna get a real Harley someday" fund, turn around and walk away.

:bikerguy:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts