Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've acquired a wobble upon deceleration. Thanks to this site and others my google-fu is strong! I'm going to check my air pressure, spokes then last resort replace my tires. My 2012 Heritage only has about 7500 miles on it. The wobble Is a very weird thing! I was two up and man that was wild! I asked her what she was doing back there and she said holding on! Anyway hoping for an easy fix. Maybe I'll come across some chrome 9 spokers.

·
Asylum Inmate
12,746 Posts
Tires... For sure

I assume it starts on decel about 44 mph and does it to about 15 mph or until you unload the front forks by accelerating?

·
Registered
13,193 Posts
Don't forget things like wheel bearings front or rear. Make sure every thing is tight. Should be checking tire pressure weekly or when carrying a passenger. Better safe than sorry. Have slight handle bar shake on mine, convinced its front tire. Is that where your wobble is ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
i got a wobble

I had a wobble on my fatboy with about the same mileage.
Checked the "fall away" and found the steering neck was loose.
Tightened to service manual instructions and no more wobble.

·
Asylum Inmate
12,746 Posts
Bbaly...yep and around 6th after I let the load off.
Softailbilly...not sure where it's at. Sure does wobble though

Got an appoint at a local trusted shop first week of May

The shop will do fall away. It will tighten things enough to dampen the wobble. In 600 miles it will start to return, in 750 it will be back

Drop the dunlops. Run MC II. Though on them it comes back at 8000 miles.

Run Avon cobra it does not come back.

I am testing American Elite right now. Running 4k so far not there even a little. I am running them stock pressure.

If you don't mind, I have been chasing this a long time, would you go plus 5 psi over max front and back and tell me if it goes away or at least loses amplitude by 75 percent.

This problem is inherent in the design. It has something to do with a wear pattern caused by the way the softtail loads the forks. Most pronounced on the fatboy. Second is the heritage. The slim does not seem to do it. It is a weight loading from behind causing the forks to weave that over time causes a pattern print in the tire.

·
Registered
13,193 Posts
This problem is inherent in the design. It has something to do with a wear pattern caused by the way the softtail loads the forks. Most pronounced on the fatboy. Second is the heritage. The slim does not seem to do it. It is a weight loading from behind causing the forks to weave that over time causes a pattern print in the tire.
Let me throw this at you. If the forks have never been serviced, oil change. Mine are at 33K, never serviced. Just a thought for the others.

Have the fork brace on mine, tightened up road feel and response. installed brace when old tire was fairly new. Should keep forks from flexing under load.

Pretty confident its all about new tire with my front wobble, shake.

·
Asylum Inmate
12,746 Posts
Let me throw this at you. If the forks have never been serviced, oil change. Mine are at 33K, never serviced. Just a thought for the others.

Have the fork brace on mine, tightened up road feel and response. installed brace when old tire was fairly new. Should keep forks from flexing under load.

Pretty confident its all about new tire with my front wobble, shake.

I changed oil when I was chasing this.

Fork brace is something I wondered about.

When I replaced just the front it came back in 1200 miles. (Dunlop replaced the front under warranty) which is how I ended up on wear pattern of both tires due to frame geometry.

·
Registered
13,193 Posts
I changed oil when I was chasing this.

Fork brace is something I wondered about.

When I replaced just the front it came back in 1200 miles. (Dunlop replaced the front under warranty) which is how I ended up on wear pattern of both tires due to frame geometry.
Personally don't think oil would cause an issue. Might get dirty a bit but never wears out.

Since I reinstalled the Dunlop & wheel with that shake, appears to be less. Whats that all about.? Running 32psig. may go to 35psig see what happens. Always ran 30 per HD manual & 32psig. on all other tires. Significant harder ride @ 32.

·
Asylum Inmate
12,746 Posts
I went with a heavier oil thinking it needed more dampening.

I have found at 38 PSI they don't cup.

·
Registered
13,193 Posts
I have found at 38 PSI they don't cup.
Only hand one cup, Original factory one at7K, was about shot by then. Very minor cupping. Friend noticed it before me.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I have an '08 Fat Boy and haven't experienced the wobble as described, or at all. Of course, I'm only guessing that the previous owner added Progressive springs as well as the chrome lowers. Rides like it has them.

What I do have is a little strange feel in left hand curves. I think I have a seeping fork seal on the left tube. Gonna have my independent replace the seals and fluid soon and check the wheel bearings.

No issues with the Dunlops (stock on front, AE on back) on front or back, though they are about due for replacement.

I've had high speed tank slappers on previous bikes, especially those with steering head dampers. Those, of course, had to do with steering head and the balance of the parts of the front end.

·
Registered
13,193 Posts
No issues with the Dunlops (stock on front, AE on back) on front or back, though they are about due for replacement.

How many miles do you get on your rear Dunlop 200 series tire? Mine is pretty well worn out at 6k with the Dunlops.

·
Registered
13,193 Posts
I put the rear on last summer and it has about 6k on it. I've heard good things about the Michelins. I liked the Dunlop AE for grip and handling. I'd like to get more miles, though.
Got 8200 on Michelin Cmdr II needs R&R now. Rides way better, handles about the same or better. Jake Wilson has a good price on them and free shipping. Ride Safe.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update: Rear spokes loose

Just got the call from my Indy shop, loose but not broken rear spokes. I went ahead and asked him to order an FP3 that I'll put as soon as the true'd up wheel is back on.
5 psi over was not a big difference so I didn't post it. He did mention that my Dunlop would more than likely make it thru this years riding season.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts