Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Village Idiot
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I actually like truckers and have mad respect for them, as well as a soft spot in my heart for them as my late father was one... I just hate riding next to them.

Coming back from Charleston yesterday in heavy traffic on I26 just before Columia, a semi passed us in the right lane and ran next to us for about a mile till I decided to back off and put space between us, with the traffic, there was no way I could have gotten ahead of him. For some reason, I decided to stay in the left lane and not to fall in behind him

When he got about 200 yards (and about 5 cars) ahead of us, he blew a tire and slung road gators all over both lanes. It is a scary thing to see when you hear the explosion and see shredded tire flying everywhere at 65 MPH. You know the drill, brake lights lit up like christmas, cars swerving and ducking onto the shoulders on both sides until traffic finally stopped, some in the travel lanes and some on the shoulders. Whatever it was (we'll call it divine intervention) that made me hang back allowed me to brake enough that not one single bit of debris came near us. My fiancé is on the back and that is the most precious cargo I can ever carry. A little prayer of thanks and we continued back on our way. Didn't even run over a piece of tire, did swerve to miss some.

I have always been one to speed up when passing semis so that I minimize the time next to them, more out of a courtesy to them than anything else. I know how annoying it can be for them to have some jackwagon hanging close to them for ages and reducing their space to react to situations. But now this makes me realize even more that unprotected against this type of hazard, I am even more apt to make sure the time I spend near them is minimized. I can never eliminate riding near them, but I sure will limit the time close to them.

:bikerguy:

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Here in NJ, the turnpike (most of it) has separate car and truck sections. Probably other states do as well, I just don't know which ones.

When in the car, I almost always travel in the truck lanes. I find that most of the time truckers are more predictable. Meaning, that they tend to be more courteous, and are more apt to be driving with their eyes further down the road than the bumper in front of them.

Example:
A few years ago 4 of us were headed to New Hampshire. We were riding single file (72 mph) in the left hand lane of 2 lanes, over taking 2 semi's.
I was #4 bike. I'd guess that there was about a 6 truck length space between the two trucks. The front 2 bikes where just passing the lead truck, the 3rd bike was in the space between the trucks (in the left lane), and I was just passing the tractor of the second truck. Suddenly two tires exploded on the left side of the first trailer, sending gators across both lanes.
The first two bikes were ahead of the carnage.
#3 bike started evasive action,
and I had absolutely no where to go. Semi on my right, culvert on left.
The #2 driver had his hand out the window and started waving me in front of him, at the same time laying on the brakes. It enabled me to miss the gator that was stretched across my lane and come out of it unscathed. We stopped at a rest area just up the road, the second truck pulled in also. He said that he thought he was going to see a bike (me) in a very bad accident. I added "so did I!". I thanked him profusely for being alert and giving me some wiggle room.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I drive a truck for a living and I try to give all bikes and cagers all the room they need. cause just like you seem you never know when a truck tire will go boom. it's a life long nightmare if you hit someone and kill them I know that first hand. short story at 4 am she and husband argued she went to the road walked in front of my truck that was the worst 5 hrs of my live sitting there while chp did there thing

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
529 Posts
Yeah I don't like the buffeting I'm going to get when I'm within 200 feet of them but I also try to minimize my time in their blindspots. Truckers have taken good care of me over the years and I try my best to return the favor.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,018 Posts
Good drivers as they may be, I have had a trailer tire blow as I was alongside, and it's a go change pants moment.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I drive a truck for a living and I try to give all bikes and cagers all the room they need. cause just like you seem you never know when a truck tire will go boom. it's a life long nightmare if you hit someone and kill them I know that first hand. short story at 4 am she and husband argued she went to the road walked in front of my truck that was the worst 5 hrs of my live sitting there while chp did there thing

That sucks. Selfish bi*ch. Sorry you had to deal with that, but you know it's not your fault.

·
Super Moderator
4,062 Posts
Well awesome to hear a potential horror story (from the OP) end well. I agree about the drivers too, great people with a tough job. Just the size and speed create such a big window for hazzard. Plus you throw in the cages that make their lives hell.. Sad story for sure hdzx.

I also hate following the corn and feed trucks. I can really tell a difference when states have, or don't have laws to require trucks to cover the cargo. Getting pelted by loose corn at 65 is not fun.

I think I would rather take the long way and avoid the PA and NJ turnpikes. Those do get crazy.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,018 Posts
Hey don't forget following behind a hog carrier...or getting a shower from a truck carrying cattle.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Hey HDZX; Does the semi driver usually know right away when a trailer tire comes apart? I'm always quick to get away from a Semi if I hear the "slap-slap-slap" type noise that I associate with a tread separating.
Is there any type sign language that would let the driver know he's possibly got a bad tire? Or other problem? Thanks for getting our goods to us, that's gotta be a difficult job overall.

·
Village Idiot
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well awesome to hear a potential horror story (from the OP) end well. I agree about the drivers too, great people with a tough job. Just the size and speed create such a big window for hazzard. Plus you throw in the cages that make their lives hell.. Sad story for sure hdzx.

I also hate following the corn and feed trucks. I can really tell a difference when states have, or don't have laws to require trucks to cover the cargo. Getting pelted by loose corn at 65 is not fun.

I think I would rather take the long way and avoid the PA and NJ turnpikes. Those do get crazy.
Try chicken trucks, feathers everywhere, and the smell... :bigbarf

·
Village Idiot
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Brother, I am sorry. I remember the scary stories my dad told me, but that must have been rough. I agree with the earlier comment, she was selfish. Not your fault at all. I hope that you have come to that realization...

Thank you so much for the job that you do. We all owe a lot to you folks who transport the goods that keep our country running and help keep our economy from going deeper in the tank than the politicians have put us.

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
Scary, but I'm glad you're okay.

Our big stinkers are the wood pulp loads. They constantly biodegrade and if it rained, they get soaked and liquid just pours out of the trailers while they tow down the road. The liquid sprays up and gets all over everyone. You have to hit a car wash to get the smell off, if I'm on a bike, I pull over and let the parade pass and dry the road a little.

I don't care how truck tires are made, I think they should be made better so they don't come apart. Retred tires should be outlawed.

·
Registered
37,002 Posts
I don't care how truck tires are made, I think they should be made better so they don't come apart. Retred tires should be outlawed.
I'm pretty sure it is the retreads that are the ones you see coming apart.

If it were a new tire coming apart like that you can be damm sure that the NHTSA would get involved, there would be recalls, and if it continued, the business putting out defective tires would eventually get shut down.

I agree though, retreads should be outlawed.... atleast for highway/interstate use.

·
Eastbound and Down
94 Posts
As I new rider I am constantly reading about things like this on this site and gaining a lot of knowledge for things to watch out for. Many things are I would have never thought of. Glad you two are ok.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Bree no we don't always know when a tire goes that's why I stop every 2 to 3 hrs to check tires and take a break. Not all drivers are help full or respectful Ido t like being behind nasty stinking trucks eather

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,511 Posts
I used to haul oversized, then spent a good while haulin' cows. Like HDZX says, you can't tell when a tire is about to come apart. I hated when idjits would get beside you and hang out there just to be in the shade. When I go around a truck, I wait until I know it is clear for me to get on by quickly. I can't stand the lazy bastards that won't kick it off of cruise control and speed up, get by, then get back over. If they are passing a truck going a mile or two an hour faster than the truck, I stay back until they finally get around, then blast past.

Now that I work in a different occupation, I pull my 5th wheel all over the country to different jobs. People are just as bad about getting beside the trailer and riding in the shade. Leaves you no wiggle room if something happens on the road or the shoulder ahead of you.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts