Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Harley Davidson Electra glide
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this normal to have 12 volts to both of my oil pressure sender leads? I don't see how that could be? Problem started when new crankcase case was installed. So the whole engine was torn down and basically rebuilt. Motor was just rebuilt when I purchased bike so just about everything was reused. One first start up mechanic said the idiot light was blinking so he removed sender and put mechanical gauge there. I have installed an oil pressure gauge (electrical) and a matching temp gauge into the 2 unused holes in batwing. I cannot get the gauge or idiot light to work. Light does come on if I ground wire and all I've got the gauge to do is peg . Using the harness plug for the gauge I've read is supposed to work.. that's a lot of info, Lol.
My ride is a 1996 FLHT rebuilt with all original except a 548 cam, a port and polish and S&S crankcase
Thanks, J

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to mention that I did discover that engine strap wasn't grounding properly.. I know this because the horn did not work till I ran another ground. Engine is now grounded well.

·
Registered
2010 Road-King.
59 Posts
I agree with norm9278 a wiring diagram to look at ground locations. Your problem sure sounds like there is ground missing some where. Check your main harness grounds as that batwing fairing needs ground supply for all the gauges and such.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with norm9278 a wiring diagram to look at ground locations. Your problem sure sounds like there is ground missing some where. Check your main harness grounds as that batwing fairing needs ground supply for all the gauges and such.
Thanks but unfortunately this isn't covered as these are add on gauges. But all my grounds are fine. Manual also doesn't say what if any voltage should be in these wires. They are not orange or orange and white. It's especially fun because I'm colorblind, very very colorblind

·
Registered
654 Posts
Ok, so for the low oil pressure (LOP) light you need one wire to the sending unit to the light, and one from the ignition hot to the light. The light should find it's ground thru the sending unit, lighting when there is low/no pressure, as when not running. The guages should basically work the same way. If the sender and the guages both have two wires and both have voltage at the sender on both something is hooked up wrong or the wires have gotten shorted together. Trace the wires back from the sender to the guages.

Sent from the secret underground bunker

·
Registered
654 Posts
Ok, so for the low oil pressure (LOP) light you need one wire to the sending unit to the light, and one from the ignition hot to the light. The light should find it's ground thru the sending unit, lighting when there is low/no pressure, as when not running. The guages should basically work the same way. If the sender and the guages both have two wires and both have voltage at the sender on both something is hooked up wrong or the wires have gotten shorted together. Trace the wires back from the sender to the guages. Also make sure you haven't switched the sending units.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts