Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know that years 2000 til about 2007 touring models have 4 piston brake calipers that make the brake lever feel mushy because of sticking pistons. Can i replace with newer H-D calipers that are better ?

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
i know that years 2000 til about 2007 touring models have 4 piston brake calipers that make the brake lever feel mushy because of sticking pistons. Can i replace with newer H-D calipers that are better ?
My 07 doesn't have a mushy feel. Cheapest and easiest way out would be to clean the pistons.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,096 Posts
You could also flush the lines and put in fresh fluid. The mushy feel could be air in the lines too.

·
Retired citizen
22,902 Posts
There's nothing bad about the Kelsey Hayes brake systems used on the earlier Harleys. If properly serviced the Kelsey Hayes brakes will skid any Harley to a stop. AND it's DOT 5 !
The MoCo switched to Brembo when the MoCo went to the ABS brake system. The MoCo couldn't swing a deal with Kelsey Hayes on the switch over to ABS. The Kelsey Hayes factory is less than 5 miles from the Milwaukee headquarters on Juneau Ave.

·
Registered
38,150 Posts
Yup. I have no problem with my 05 brakes. I've made the front tire howl on the verge of locking up before. And that was before I put the Arlen Ness big brake kit on it.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
my 07 does not have ABS, but does use DOT 4 check your owners manual

1 - 8 of 8 Posts