Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...I put a windshield on my bike today.

I might as well go shoot myself as this means I am certifyably old.

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts
P*ssy! :stickpoke:

I guess I don't blame ya. On long trips I've often wondered how nice it would be to have a windshield, I still have never rode a bike with one and hope not to so that way I'll never know what I'm missing :D

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
They are not hard to put on and take off as you know Mike.

Very handy on the long trips even though mine just covers my torso. Less rain, wind, bugs and less fatigue. Pop it off when you get back. Not to mention a great spot to mount the motorcycle easypass.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,182 Posts
Just to be a troublemaker, somebody loan Victor a windscreen for a trip.

I had just put one of the "removable" ones on my B-Rod when I dumped it.

I found you can get the HD "removable" ones on Ebay for around $150, plus the docking hardware was another $25. Those are the ones with something left behind on the bike when you do a quick remove. It's just 4 strap/mounts, for very occasional use it's a 20 min install/de-install.

If somebody like Vic was considering having one stashed just for a cold weather trip, that's the way to go, the "detachable" or quick detachable ones are a lot more because of the heavy duty latches, Ebay for $250 or so, they don't leave any hardware behind and install is seconds.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Hey Mike,
I was at the dealership yesterday and the owner tells me Fat Bobs come in and head right out on to the road. All ages of folks tend to like them and the headlights are a hit.

·
Registered
39,459 Posts
Does that make Mike's bike a Geezer Bob?

:rofl:

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lemme have it, I deserve it.

I really like the damn thing. I can't believe how much pressure it takes off of my torso. I have a bit of a buffeting problem when I wear my full-face, but other than that and the looks, it is the shiznit.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,182 Posts
Buffetting barrier

I've seen a product on WebBikeReview, and I can't seem to find it again, it was a thin sheet of neoprene that had a double-sided tape around the edge, that attached it to the bottom of a full faced helmet to provide a barrier to the dirty air buffeting coming up from below and slamming the bottom opening of the helmet, punishing your ears and vision. It was apparently very unobtrusive, the rider's head goes thru the opening in the neoprene barrier, without any extra drama. The reviewer said it seemed to make the helmet's built-in ventilation features work very well, keeping the barrier from seeming claustrophobic..

On first impression, it might sound insulating of the rider's experience, but if you've ridden with earplugs, it becomes a relief from the white noise, and allows the rider to focus on the enjoyable part of the riding: the enjoyable part does not include 120db roar of continuous white noise.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not an issue with a Schuberth.
I don't have any choices in helmets. I have tried them all and the only one that fits my huge, round head is HJC.

The buffeting with the windshield in place is enough to blur my vision to the point I get a little panicky.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,182 Posts
Mike, I once heard of someone custom forming the top of the windshield to aid in reducing the buffeting.
The buffeting is definitely, 100% certain, "dirty air" turbulence coming up from below, the wind stream is bouncing off of the rider's thighs and heading upwards, till it crashes into the bottom of the helmet opening. When there is no windscreen the air pressure wave against the rider's chest overpowers the dirty air and forces it back down.

You can prove this, by just making a barrier of your forearm, when the buffeting is pronounced, extend your forearm horizontally across your chest with palm down, you'll feel significant pressure buffeting against your arm and hand, and you'll be able to clearly feel the drumming in your ears and the rattling of your vision diminish momentarily.

If I was able to ride anytime soon, I'd rig this neoprene barrier myself using generic rubber sheeting and if not double sided tape, maybe velcro. Just as an experiment.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts