Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Retired firefighter
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I sold my 96 electra-glide with a carb'd evo engine (my first Harley) and bought a 2001 RKC with 22,000
miles on it. (twin cam)….the guy I bought it from decked it out with lots of chrome goodies and changed
the exhaust and said it had been chipped......it runs great,starts great,and will scoot with a twist of the
throttle....my questions are...
1.can the ecm/tuner be chipped or turned up? (new to EFI bikes) sorry I don't know anything about these
2.noise difference between the evo and the twin cam...evo was quiet,twin cam not like the evo.
3.if this was turned up would it make the motor noisey...compaired to stock?
sorry I am a newby to this don't know anything about EFI vs carb and stock tuner vs perfomence….

thanks to all in adsvance….

·
Just Ride
3,151 Posts
Twin cams are noiser,your year bike has a FI unit hard to tune. Aftermarket tuners help. Noise won't go away, especially on an almost 20 year old bike.

·
Retired firefighter
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FritzHD,
Is there a way to tell by looking at the FI unit....located right side behind the side cover?

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,100 Posts
I am guessing you have a Dobeck or similar POT style tuner on there. Not too much fine tuning options as Fritz has pointed out.
How many miles on the bike?

·
Retired citizen
23,092 Posts
That '01 TC has the Magneti Marelli EFI. If the previous owner said it was 'chipped' then the dealer installed a 'stage' download into the ECM.
IMO if the bike runs good now I would leave everything as is, don't let anyone mess with the throttle body unless you're sure they know what they're doing.

·
Retired firefighter
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am guessing you have a Dobeck or similar POT style tuner on there. Not too much fine tuning options as Fritz has pointed out.
How many miles on the bike?

·
Retired firefighter
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That '01 TC has the Magneti Marelli EFI. If the previous owner said it was 'chipped' then the dealer installed a 'stage' download into the ECM.
IMO if the bike runs good now I would leave everything as is, don't let anyone mess with the throttle body unless you're sure they know what they're doing.
It does run great....maybe I am not use to the twin cam noise vs my old evo...

·
Retired firefighter
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you know if anyone has inspected the cam chest? May want to do some reading on early Twin Cam issues.
I do not know if anybody has looked at or done anything to the motor....it's not a loud noise...kinda like a thrashing machine as was posted on a different link...

·
Retired citizen
23,092 Posts
Early twin cams are chain driven with spring chain tensioners, that right there can explain the 'thrashing machine' noise.
As mentioned the cam chest should be inspected for worn tensioners at the 20K miles service.

·
Retired firefighter
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Early twin cams are chain driven with spring chain tensioners, that right there can explain the 'thrashing machine' noise.
As mentioned the cam chest should be inspected for worn tensioners at the 20K miles service.
Thank you SCHMIDTY,
I do have the scv manual for the bike,I should be able to do that or do I need special tools....I will start reading up it....
thank you for your help(y)

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,100 Posts
Watch some YouTube vids...
Not much for specialty tools to inspect, but if you need to replace them some special tools are required.

To inspect you need to pull exhaust, floor board and open cam chest.
You can see the outer one fairly easy. Don’t let them snap back on chain, they could crack.
A dental mirror and a flash light to see the rear one.

Obviously you will need gaskets for cam cover and exhaust assuming they are good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Retired citizen
23,092 Posts
In most cases the exhaust only needs to be loosened up not removed, that cover doesn't require a lot of clearance to remove. The floorboard does have to be removed but easy enough to do. A small amount of oil loss so maybe do the inspection at the next oil change.
If the tensioners require replacing it 's best to have a mechanic with the correct special tools and experience do the work.

·
Retired firefighter
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks to all on the great info and advice,will need to ponder my next move...might be a little over my head
on this....will continue to do my research and see where it takes me....thanks again to all who commented
...I took it out the other day to warm it up road it around and the noise is not as bad as I thought it was...
I have to remember that my electra-glide was wrapped in lowers,fairing,bags…..my RKC is wide open
except for the windshield...I have a lot of extra road and outside noise now to deal with....might just be me overreacting
maybe a little.....but thanks again to all!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts