Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I want to ask, can I with the replacement of the stock shocks (front & rear) make my '11 Superglide Custom as smooth a road bike as some of the larger touring bikes?

And for the record I'd also get a bigger seat & probably a removable bat wing fairing. But I'm just asking about ride at this point.

:feedback:

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
Get some progressives and i'm sure you would see a large improvement, hell they even helped me going from the stock air ride to 444 on rear and drop in springs in the forks. And a large mustang touring seat will finish her off.

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,506 Posts
I have progressive 412's on my '04 SuperGlide. They make a hell of a difference. I also have a sundowner seat. I am comfortable 10-12 hours a day. I'm not saying I can endure...I am comfortable.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
It's not just the suspension.

The front end geometry makes a lot of difference, and there is quite a variance between the FLHT bikes and a Superglide. The added rake and the bigger wheel/less tire will never dampen the road feedback in the same way.

Plus the frames are different.

That doesn't mean you can't get your Dyna to ride amazingly well. If you are happy with it, and can stay in the saddle, that's all that matters.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

I know the SGC will never be an FLHT and I don't want it to be or I'd just go buy one. I just need it a little more comfortable for long trips and it sounds like Progressives are the way to go. No I just have to figure out which ones.

·
Registered
870 Posts
And for the record I'd also get a bigger seat & probably a removable bat wing fairing.
Throw on a set of saddlebags and you'll have a touring bike. :eek:uttahere:

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And one that doesn't weigh 1000#s. Already have throw over bags that stay on ALL the time and a tour bag for trips.

Now the question... Which damn shocks?

412-4044C 412 (CHR) HLY 12.0" Update $299.95 $299.95
430-4044C 430 (CHR) HLY 12.0" Update $544.95 $544.95
444-4053C 444 (CHR) HLY 11.5" Update $669.95 $669.95

That's a hell of a price range.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
And one that doesn't weigh 1000#s. Already have throw over bags that stay on ALL the time and a tour bag for trips.

Now the question... Which damn shocks?

412-4044C412 (CHR) HLY 12.0"Update$299.95$299.95
430-4044C430 (CHR) HLY 12.0"Update$544.95$544.95
444-4053C444 (CHR) HLY 11.5"Update$669.95$669.95

That's a hell of a price range.
Check out www.onestopmoto.com i got my 444HD and HDfront fork spings for $ 530 shipped.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
595 Posts
I would get the 444 and get HD version if you weigh more than 250 or you ride 2up a lot.

If you have the bank I would look at the progressive 970 series or olin for the rear. Those little jewels are costly but a ride above the rest.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
I have a 2009 Dyna Super Glide. It is a fantastic touring bike! It has a slightly longer wheelbase than an Electra-Glide. The suspension is very cushy, especially with Progressive rear shocks and Progressive front springs. Add a Harley Sundowner seat and some Metzler or Michelin tires and you are ready to ride all day long in comfort.

The fairing is not going to do much for you other than drag you around on the interstate. The only time that I even put the windshield on is in the winter. The rest of the time I thoroughly enjoy riding a naked bike. No offense to the baggers out there, I just like motorcycles that don't look like they were designed by Samsonite(tm). <g>

Pete

So I want to ask, can I with the replacement of the stock shocks (front & rear) make my '11 Superglide Custom as smooth a road bike as some of the larger touring bikes?

And for the record I'd also get a bigger seat & probably a removable bat wing fairing. But I'm just asking about ride at this point.

:feedback:

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would get the 444 and get HD version if you weigh more than 250 or you ride 2up a lot.

If you have the bank I would look at the progressive 970 series or olin for the rear. Those little jewels are costly but a ride above the rest.
What are the weight ranges for the preloads on the 444 HD?

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts

·
Single Dad
19 Posts
I have a 2009 Dyna Super Glide. It is a fantastic touring bike! It has a slightly longer wheelbase than an Electra-Glide. The suspension is very cushy, especially with Progressive rear shocks and Progressive front springs. Add a Harley Sundowner seat and some Metzler or Michelin tires and you are ready to ride all day long in comfort.

The fairing is not going to do much for you other than drag you around on the interstate. The only time that I even put the windshield on is in the winter. The rest of the time I thoroughly enjoy riding a naked bike. No offense to the baggers out there, I just like motorcycles that don't look like they were designed by Samsonite(tm). <g>

Pete
TOTALLY AGREE...! We get the comfort ride and the handling. I added the Mustang SuperWide Touring seat.. I can ride all day 2 up and everyone is happy!
GLen

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Before my Electra Glide, my Dyna was my primary bike. I rode it from Florida to Vermont, and many other long trips. I had the old equivalent of the quick release "Touring" windshield. It's not pretty, but the extra length on the bottom keeps a lot of wind from blowing up around the tank. I put progressive fork springs, and HD "medium" fork oil in. I don't know if the newer 41mm forks need heavier oil in them or not. I also put progressive shocks (forgot what series #) on, but preferred the stock shocks on long trips. I always rode with the stock seat... Ouch!
I think a Dyna is great for long distance riding once it's tweeked to your preference.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts