Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy is offering me a trade for my car (worth $4500) for his 2007 street bob plus $500 cash. It sounds like a good deal but I know nothing about Harley’s. He says the street bob has 50k miles, stage 2 screaming eagle cam kit, stage 2 intake, Vance and Hines short shot exhaust, and a tune. He also sent me a video of it running and many pictures, it’s very clean. Is it a good trade, I’m not big into Harley’s and I need a daily car so I’m going to sell it after the trade. What is the resell value? Thanks guys, sorry for being a newbie

·
weird member
1,942 Posts
Do you only have the one car? Then why trade the car for a bike to sell the bike to get a car? Why not just stick with what you got? Even if it is a decent deal on the trade, seems like by the end, you'll have lost money between all the trading and reselling, never mind all the headaches.

NADA Guides | Research New Motorcycles Prices & Powersports

·
Registered
650 Posts
Also consider where you live . . . are you in a Northern climate where winter does not allow motorcycles to be used right now . . . that might affect selling price. Don't forget about the taxes you will have to pay. You can look up motorcycle values just like car values to see if it's a good deal or not.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
My opinion. In my Georgia area, '07 Street Bob's are priced around $4-$5k. Newer ones are about the same. The used Harley market is very slow. I think you have a much larger market trying to sell your car. Also, you really know nothing about this Harley except what you have been told, and nothing about Harley's in general, so you are at a disadvantage dealing with a sharp buyer.

·
Super Moderator
4,109 Posts
So you want us to tell you if you should trade a car (that you need), for a motorcycle (that you don't want)....

This would be like someone offering to trade me a 40$ dress for my 15$ jeans that I am wearing.... The dress, although priced higher, has no intrinsic value to me. The pants however, not only keep my unshaven legs warm and covered, they help me to not get arrested for indecent exposure.

Perhaps I could simply do the trade and resell the dress but a 25$ profit is not guaranteed. Where you would have to execute title swaps and insurance transfers, I would have similar sunk costs associated with the barter. Primarily my dignity but I have sacrificed that countless times anyhow in unmentioned drunken adventures..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate all the replies! I’m probably not going to do the trade because the miles on the bike are steep and it’s winter here in Illinois so it’s going to be a slow sell. Also, I was not clear enough on my situation, I’m selling a high horsepower car that needs to be towed because it has a broken radiator. If I had a working car I would obviously not be doing this trading and reselling stuff. Thanks for all the input though!

·
Registered
20,842 Posts
If I were you , I would buy the radiator you need to repair your car.....
if it is really a high horsepower car , I wouldn't be using it for winter driving,
park it and get a cheap winter beater to take on the salt , snow and icy roads .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if it is really a high horsepower car , I wouldn't be using it for winter driving,
park it and get a cheap winter beater to take on the salt , snow and icy roads .
Yeah, the only reason I’m selling it is to let someone else enjoy instead of it sitting in my garage, and I’m just going to get a normal car for now that I can beat on like you said.

·
Retired citizen
22,294 Posts
Trade the car for the bike then resell the bike for a profit ? Ain't happening !
Considering where the OP lives he needs the car more than the bike AND he says he knows nothing about Harleys.
Hell ... do the trade, eff the car and get a Harley !!!

·
Registered
642 Posts
we're all spending time on a guy that told us up front he's not into Harley's and IF he buys one he's going to sell it. What's wrong with this picture?

Call your mom and ask her

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
we're all spending time on a guy that told us up front he's not into Harley's and IF he buys one he's going to sell it. What's wrong with this picture?

Call your mom and ask her
Wasn’t trying to piss anyone off with this post, I respect Harley’s and the passion all of you have behind them. I was just looking for advice on what are should do because you guys know tons about them. But I don’t need anymore advice now, an admin can delete this thread if they want. Thanks guys

·
Registered
38 Posts
So you want us to tell you if you should trade a car (that you need), for a motorcycle (that you don't want)....

This would be like someone offering to trade me a 40$ dress for my 15$ jeans that I am wearing.... The dress, although priced higher, has no intrinsic value to me. The pants however, not only keep my unshaven legs warm and covered, they help me to not get arrested for indecent exposure.

Perhaps I could simply do the trade and resell the dress but a 25$ profit is not guaranteed. Where you would have to execute title swaps and insurance transfers, I would have similar sunk costs associated with the barter. Primarily my dignity but I have sacrificed that countless times anyhow in unmentioned drunken adventures..
best reply so far....

·
91 FXLR
35 Posts
The price is in KBB and NADA Auto Dealers use for Trade In's.

My first Harley a 1991 Low Rider Custom (FXLR) cost me $10,500 New. Back then if you bought a Used one you paid what was paid when it was New. In 2006 they put them on KBB and NADA, that's when their price went down.

·
2004 Ultra Classic
1,116 Posts
Called a beater with a heater. I have had many.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts