Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Stuck in Traffic
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the Fatboy in to the dealer for service the other day, and while I was waiting I decided to demo a Street Glide. Bad idea. I did NOT want to take it back! I remember thinking to myself "I'm screwed, 'cuz now I am buying this bike." While we couldn't agree on the numbers, I've definitely been bit by the Glide bug. I am now planning the purchase and I have questions.

I think the offer I got on the trade in was low, and I plan to ask them to come up on the number. What is the expected margin for profit on a trade in? Meaning, if they can sell the bike for X, what are the chances they'll give me X - $1000 on the trade? Also, since they're not budging on the MSRP price, is it unreasonable to ask for them to take off all the other charges such as freight and prep so I only pay the cost and sales tax?

I'm not gonna lie, negotiating with the dealer is not my strong suit, and I want to get a fair deal without getting my pants pulled down. I'm sure this topic has come up before, and I'll do some searching, but I thought I'd put it out there and seek everyone's advice.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,360 Posts
You might try shopping a few other dealers and get a comparison. Some will deal, others won't. It would be good to go to your dealer with a better price in hand and give him the opportunity to at least match it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
same thing happened to me bud. i went in for an oil filter for my '07 VRSCD (Night Rod) and the dealership was having a customer appreciation demo ride weekend. i demo'd the new v-rod, man that thing was god awful. i told the guy he'd have to pay me to trade my ride in for that one. then i said "i'm not looking to buy anything, but my next ride is going to have a windshield and bags, you know like a street glide..."
10 minutes later i was rolling along with the radio playing Alice In Chains thinking "damn i should NOT have ridden this thing". i got back about 30 minutes later with a grin that stretched from ear to ear. "what did you think" he asked me. i just looked at him "you already know what i think"....
i did get a real good trade in on the VRSCD though ($9300) and they came down a bit on the price because it was used (dealer rental fleet). i gave her as thorough a going over as i could and signed the paperwork two days later. no regrets though. it's the bike i always wanted but didn't realize i wanted it.

kgb

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,082 Posts
I walked in for a battery and walked out with a Road King.

Decide what you want for the trade, and what you want to pay for the Glide. Be realistic and fair. Then give those numbers to the salesman and leave. If they can do it, they will.

Do NOT let them confuse with talk of monthly payments, moving numbers around or APR. stick to your guns.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
394 Posts
I took the Fatboy in to the dealer for service the other day, and while I was waiting I decided to demo a Street Glide. Bad idea. I did NOT want to take it back! I remember thinking to myself "I'm screwed, 'cuz now I am buying this bike." While we couldn't agree on the numbers, I've definitely been bit by the Glide bug. I am now planning the purchase and I have questions.

I think the offer I got on the trade in was low, and I plan to ask them to come up on the number. What is the expected margin for profit on a trade in? Meaning, if they can sell the bike for X, what are the chances they'll give me X - $1000 on the trade? Also, since they're not budging on the MSRP price, is it unreasonable to ask for them to take off all the other charges such as freight and prep so I only pay the cost and sales tax?

I'm not gonna lie, negotiating with the dealer is not my strong suit, and I want to get a fair deal without getting my pants pulled down. I'm sure this topic has come up before, and I'll do some searching, but I thought I'd put it out there and seek everyone's advice.
It seems in my area local dealers are discounting the LP or waiving the prep and freight Sorry I read this thread, I've been thinking of trading my FB for a SG too, radio, fairing, bags all sounds real good

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
I went in for a t shirt and rode out on a 2012 Ultra....go figure

·
Registered
612 Posts
Keep in mind there are a million used glides on the private market right now for cheap with very low miles on them. Seems like the last couple years everyone's brother decided to buy a glide as their first bike because this guy or that guy had one and after a couple thousand miles they parked it and decided they didn't want to be a biker. In my area you can pick up a 09 or 10 glide with 3000 miles on it for less than 15000 bucks.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I've already been through this problem. Bought a new fatboy in August. Went to the dealer to talk about winter performance mods. Talking to a couple of the guys in the dealer and another salesman hears me talking. Says, I just traded for a SG with all those mods already done. Short story: I drove it home that day. probably didn't get all that good a deal, but me and the lady are way happier now.

my mistake was just not buying a SG to start with.

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
I'd shop some other dealers. Check the blue book on your bike and check Craigs List and other online sales prices.
Go in like you're buying the bike out right, tell them you're not interested in paying for anything but tax and tags, get the rock bottom price you want then spring the trade in on them. That way you can check the math and keep track of the trade in value. Bring a calculator cause they'll jack prices around until you actually get far less than what they said they would give you for the trade in.
I'd never buy from a dealer (stealer) again but you're playing the trade-in game so good luck.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Dealers got a cover a lot of overhead and the only way the do it is by giving you the least they can for yours and grabbing the most they can for theirs. It's just they way business is.

I don't know about motorcycle dealerships, but my wife worked for a Chevrolet dealership for 37 years. At a car dealership go in late in the day on the last day of the month and go in with cash-no trade. They are in a panic over monthly sales figures and are most likely to deal in order to get one more sale before closing the month out.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
Like viper said. Go in late in month, buy their bike out right and sale yours yourself. That way you dont have to take a cut from them. You have to remember, they have to be able to sale it and cover over head lije labor and parts to make it retail saleable. Means a good thorough detailing, fix any and all issues like bad tires, brakes, fluid change, inspection, and such. They have to do this to be able to get top dollar to sale it and make a profit. Or if money is tight, sale yours asap, nows a good time to sale since its start of the season, people are out looking, and when you get cash for yours, go buy theirs and use that as a down payment if you dont have cash for the whole thing. And when you sale yours price it a little high so you have wiggle room. That way you can get what you want and the other person feels lime they got a good deal by talking you down.
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
427 Posts
Seems to be a pattern here. If you want to save money buy parts on-line and have them shipped to your door. Walking through the showroom can cause the strongest willed people to stumble.

I went to get my charging system checked and perhaps a new battery for the '08 Ultra. Walked into the showroom and was blinded by this red temptress. Yes I gave in. I'm sooo weak.

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
With all the out of town per diem I've been getting lately, I pretty much have a down payment in extra money. I may be heading for trouble myself.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
everybody likes a new bike.....:know:bike-038:

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
I took the Fatboy in to the dealer for service the other day, and while I was waiting I decided to demo a Street Glide. Bad idea. I did NOT want to take it back! I remember thinking to myself "I'm screwed, 'cuz now I am buying this bike." While we couldn't agree on the numbers, I've definitely been bit by the Glide bug.
You don't think it really takes the service department as long as it does to do things do ya? I've decided the whole plan is to make me wait while they fix something on the bike because because no man can stand in an H-D showroom for more than an hour and not want to buy something.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
Seems to be a pattern here. If you want to save money buy parts on-line and have them shipped to your door. Walking through the showroom can cause the strongest willed people to stumble.

I went to get my charging system checked and perhaps a new battery for the '08 Ultra. Walked into the showroom and was blinded by this red temptress. Yes I gave in. I'm sooo weak.

[/URL][/IMG]
that sucker is gorgeous!!!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Thank you sir!

The dealer has had numerous blues and blacks that I resisted, but this red gal was just too much.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
I am kinda partial to the color

Attachments

·
Stuck in Traffic
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dave / TwoFer - That is the same color I am looking at. I do love the Glides in that color.

dT - I'm gonna.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts