Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 14 SG vivid black and started blacking her out. So far I did the horn cover, air intake, heel/ toe shifter, brake pedal, added black ape hangers and all components on the bars are black. I just dropped off my dash console, crash bar and fender covers to be coated and the guy was showing me his bike. He was talking me into the lower fork legs, should I do it since I changing the sliders? I really didn't want to dive into the process and never have taken forks apart. With that being said would you leave them or black them out? ImageUploadedByMO Free1413855458.501282.jpg

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Depends on what you're gonna do to the wheels? If you're leaving them, the I say leave the forks too (for now). There's other stuff to do first.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Depends on what you're gonna do to the wheels? If you're leaving them, the I say leave the forks too (for now). There's other stuff to do first.

I agree.

But lowers all blacked out look effin awesome. Just sayin.....

If it were me, I'd be pulling the wheels and getting it ALL done at once.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
I agree.

But lowers all blacked out look effin awesome. Just sayin.....

If it were me, I'd be pulling the wheels and getting it ALL done at once.

If that's in the budget I couldn't agree more.

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
Seems once you start blacking out chrome you pretty much have to commit to the look IMO .

·
Registered
39,451 Posts
Seems once you start blacking out chrome you pretty much have to commit to the look IMO .
Yup, I agree.

That's the bad thing about a stock Night Train....

Looks like 2 people designed it and they never talked to each other....
1 person liked Chrome, and the other person liked Black.....

Don't really look right till you go with either Chrome, or Black out what chrome was on there.

IMO, my bike now is the way it should have been when it left the factory...
And it could have been (apart from the exhaust), should the MoCo chose to...
It's all stock parts that have been powdercoated.

As far as taking apart the forks, easy once you know how... Just takes time. A second set of hands helps, but isn't mandatory.

I did a Progressive Monotube install on my bike at a friends house, and by the time I was done, the 2 other people that helped and watched committed to doing the same thing on their bikes.

Plus, you'll have the ability to change your fork seals should the need ever arise.

Also, I would buy a new set of fork seals and bushings when you do swap out the slider.

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn you guys and your thoughts and pictures, lol. Thanks, everything vthata getting coated now I traded some parts so it worked out. Now I would have to pay for the lowers and turn signals and stuff if I decide. I might just do one little piece every pay check lol. So pumped to do this.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Just send the wheels with the guy when you send the forks. Then you have it all blacked out. My buddy did the same and it looks awesome. But his bike is the black denim, so everything was powder coated flat black. I'm sure the shiny black would look good as well.

·
Registered
39,451 Posts
I might just do one little piece every pay check lol. So pumped to do this.
That's kinda what I did.

I was working on the road at the time... sometimes for 6 months at a time...

I had pics of my bike to look at (no kids, just pics of my bike in my wallet! :D) while I was away
and decide what I wanted to powder coat next.
Get home from being on the road, ride bike while I could,
then take parts off and send them out for powder coating,
then put them back on when I got home next time.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
That does look pretty sharp. What color is that? I would have never thought about powdercoating that color...

·
IMMORTAL UNDEAD
904 Posts
Black out the forks and wheels as said above send it all out at once.
I am biased since I have a Vivid Black Limited and will be adding numerous black parts as my winter project.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
They said it is black chrome. I really expected darker. But still came out nice.
yea, not what I would have expected for black chrome either, but I do like it. Looks great.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
They said it is black chrome. I really expected darker. But still came out nice.
yea, not what I would have expected for black chrome either, but I do like it. Looks great.

They did a nice job with the coating, but the color was WAY off from I expected, when he stopped over.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
They did a nice job with the coating, but the color was WAY off from I expected, when he stopped over.
I have a guitar with black chrome it is about the same as that.. It's really gray chrome IMO but I like the look

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have an issues the powder coater finished everything and informed me the fender support c&a Vera he had one issue. The chrome a lot insert is plastic and couldn't do anything with it. I would have never thought it would have been plastic, what do you guys think I should do? Would hardly sell black ones?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts