Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Her's the deal.
I have searched GOOGLE,talked to a dealer,searched other forums,etc. and can not get/find a simple answer to what I thought was a simple question.
I have gotten so many different answers I am about ready to say screw it and just leave my RKC bone stock forever.
Well,here is the question... What components and labor needs to be done for a stage 1 kit on a 2004 Road King Classic?
Someone please give me a simple answer if there is such a thing.
Once I get this answered I can start looking into cost.

thanks,

Doug

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Lots of stuff on eBay to help you hold costs down. I went through this on my ‘04 RK. It’s not a new bike, so it may not make sense to buy brand new parts for it. People are always trying different components, and then making their perfectly serviceable used parts available at very good prices. Used aftermarket mufflers and intakes can do a very good job for you. A 2004 model does not need (and cannot really utilize fully) the most capable and sophisticated tuner modules. Your bike doesn’t have oxygen sensors, so xied’s cant help you. If you do exhaust and intake mods together, you will need a way to richen up the fuel mixture. I found a used Power Commander III usb on eBay that worked great for me.
For example,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-02-Harley-Davidson-Electra-Glide-Touring-Dynojet-Power-Commander-IIIr-PC3R/133123627729?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=57475&meid=c9aaaf7c13a543cd9253dc7a83a476e9&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=12&sd=333259936484&itm=133123627729&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Bonus is that the guys at Dynojet are great about support, even on used modules.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lots of stuff on eBay to help you hold costs down. I went through this on my ‘04 RK. It’s not a new bike, so it may not make sense to buy brand new parts for it. People are always trying different components, and then making their perfectly serviceable used parts available at very good prices. Used aftermarket mufflers and intakes can do a very good job for you. A 2004 model does not need (and cannot really utilize fully) the most capable and sophisticated tuner modules. Your bike doesn’t have oxygen sensors, so xied’s cant help you. If you do exhaust and intake mods together, you will need a way to richen up the fuel mixture. I found a used Power Commander III usb on eBay that worked great for me.
For example,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-02-Harley-Davidson-Electra-Glide-Touring-Dynojet-Power-Commander-IIIr-PC3R/133123627729?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=57475&meid=c9aaaf7c13a543cd9253dc7a83a476e9&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=12&sd=333259936484&itm=133123627729&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Bonus is that the guys at Dynojet are great about support, even on used modules.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you for the link and info.
When I talked to a shop today they told me that a tuner,mid range priced slip ons, intake and labor would be upwards of $1300.00
I thought that was high.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Break down what each item cost, and you will find out $1300 isn't to far off, Fuel Moto makes a stealth air cleaner (hides behind the stock cover), Headpipes from Fuel Moto, S&S, or Cobra, and add whatever muffler you want, then a FP-3 or Powervision for the tuner, and you have a complete Stage1 system.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Break down what each item cost, and you will find out $1300 isn't to far off, Fuel Moto makes a stealth air cleaner (hides behind the stock cover), Headpipes from Fuel Moto, S&S, or Cobra, and add whatever muffler you want, then a FP-3 or Powervision for the tuner, and you have a complete Stage1 system.
Slingshot,
This is the kind of information I was looking for.
I started looking at costs after I posted about the $1300.
It did not take long to find out what you just stated.
I am calling that shop back this morning and get down to the exact cost.
One thing you mention that I had not thought about was the additional cost of head pipes.

thank you,

Doug

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The good...the performance shop and I after about 2 hrs. of discussion came up with an upgrade.
The bad (not really)...I have to wait 2 weeks to get in to have it done.

·
Wayward Son
23,222 Posts
DIY?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No I am not going to do it myself.
I am not computer savvy enough to mess with doing the tuner.
I would have it so jacked up it probably would not run.LOL

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
You don't need head pipes. Put some slip-ons with a HD SE Air Cleaner kit on your self be done with it. If your running a carb local shop can rejet it for you. Keep it simple

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You don't need head pipes. Put some slip-ons with a HD SE Air Cleaner kit on your self be done with it. If your running a carb local shop can rejet it for you. Keep it simple
No head pipes needed is correct.
I am putting a S&S Stealth Air cleaner kit,slip on pipes a Dynojet Power Vision tuner (them tuning it) and plug wires.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
So is this bike carbureted or injected ?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have been talking to Harley owning friends,posting here and of course talking to the shop about stage 1 kits as you members know from reading this thread.
There is a question that keeps coming up (including in my own head)...

Is it really necessary?

I also remembered a question that a friend asked me a few weeks ago when discussing a stage 1 kit.
It has me thinking if I really want to spend over $1300 to do this mod.
That question was...

Do you think every 2004 Road King Classic running around with a heck of alot more miles than you have had stage 1 kits installed?
Of course the answer to this question is No.

·
Wayward Son
23,222 Posts
No I am not going to do it myself.
I am not computer savvy enough to mess with doing the tuner.
I would have it so jacked up it probably would not run.LOL
You could do the pipes and AC.
Let them do the tuner and tuning.
Save some labor cost.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am going to leave it stock for now or ever.
I just can't justify over $1300 for what you get out of it.
I have so many more important things I could use $1300 for.
I am now done with my own thread.?

·
Barney Fife - Poser
893 Posts
I am going to leave it stock for now or ever.
I just can't justify over $1300 for what you get out of it.
I have so many more important things I could use $1300 for.
I am now done with my own thread.?
Not that it is any of my business what you do with your bike, but what would you need to get out of it to make it worth $1300?

I mean, some folks would say we are crazy for spending $$ on a bike to begin with. There is always something else to do with money, but it's just money. In the grand scheme of things, money just really isn't that important.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Did a quick search. Slip on's and the HD SE air cleaner kit can be had for about $600 May or not need a tuner? Plenty of self adjusting tuners out there. Comes out less than $1300. Worth a look.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts