Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Proud Infidel
2,773 Posts
;7299003 said:
... but it's just money .
So I tell my wife. And she still doesn't believe it.

;7299003 said:
In the grand scheme of things, money just really isn't that important.
Although it does come in handy to keep the lights on and groceries on the table.

Or in my case spoiling the grandkids.

Sent from here to there.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Not that it is any of my business what you do with your bike, but what would you need to get out of it to make it worth $1300?

I mean, some folks would say we are crazy for spending $$ on a bike to begin with. There is always something else to do with money, but it's just money. In the grand scheme of things, money just really isn't that important.
To answer your question...A heck of a lot more than a little bit of throttle response,8-10 HP and a loss of gas mileage.

"It's just money" if you have extra.
It is not "just money" when you are retired and have more important things to spend it on.
My motorcycle is not my main form of transportation, like my RZR it is just a toy.
To spend extra money when it is not really necessary on a toy when you do not have a ton of expendable cash is just not smart to me.
To each their own as they say and that is all good to me.:)

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
To answer your question...A heck of a lot more than a little bit of throttle response,8-10 HP and a loss of gas mileage.

It is not "just money" when you are retired and have more important things to spend it on.
My motorcycle is not my main form of transportation, like my RZR it is just a toy.
To spend extra money when it is not really necessary on a toy when you do not have a ton of expendable cash is just not smart to me.
I don't think you would get a loss of gas mileage. You should get an increase in mileage. It won't be enough to off set the cost though :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I don't think you would get a loss of gas mileage. You should get an increase in mileage. It won't be enough to off set the cost though :)
Actually the shop told me I would loose mileage because of fuel being added to richen the fuel/air mixture.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts

I’ve been dark on the forum because I was out of town on a ride. I’m just catching up on this thread. Doo, there are so many variables in the answers to your questions. First of all, you can ride your Road King exactly the way it is, with no modifications whatsoever, for as long as you care to own it. Performance mods are nearly always an optional action that we choose to do out of a desire to improve our riding experience. Basically, we just want to. That being said, keep in mind that the manufacturer is restricted by emissions standards and regulations that inhibit an engine’s performance potential. Different stages of modifications free up different stages of performance improvements. The most basic of these groups of mods, Stage I, is considered minor, but you will notice a crisper, more enjoyable ride.

You, as the owner, have to first decide why you are considering any mod to begin with. Is it just a louder, more pleasing sound from the exhaust? Is it a cooler running engine? Is it a better idle, or better mileage, or crisper acceleration? Or all of this combined? If it’s just a different exhaust note, that can be accomplished simply by changing the slipon mufflers, with no header change needed. Your bike does not have cat converters, so the headers don’t need to be gutted. Freer flowing headers may or may not improve performance, and the wrong ones can actually decrease torque. A simple muffler change does not require a tuner. When you open up the intake by installing a high flow air filter/intake, now you are pumping more air through the induction system, and coupled with a better scavenging (more open) exhaust system, THAT will result in a lean fuel mixture. That’s when it becomes necessary to introduce a device that can enrichen the fuel mixture. That’s one of the main functions of a “tuner.” On your 2004 system, all you really need is the most basic level of capability in order to provide a little more fuel through the injectors to match the extra air flow. Now, if you ever have any plans for higher performance cams or cyl head mods, or larger displacement pistons and cylinders, you would be wise to invest in a true tuner module with more capabilities. Interestingly enough, the experts at Fuel Moto told me that even a completely stock motorcycle with no mods can benefit from a basic tuner module that can provide a slightly richer mixture. That’s because they come from the factory very lean to comply with federal regulations. It may sound counterintuitive, but a very lean mixture can actually result in poorer overall gas mileage because it’s not as efficient as an engine running at an optimum fuel ratio that allows it to make its optimum power. So, in my humble option, the first step should be a basic tuner module such as the one I referenced in an earlier post. But if you just want sound, there are many, many options out there, and you don’t have to spend $600-900 for a set of name brand high performance mufflers. Even the knockoffs will give you more decibels.

Now, I’m sure there are many other opinions out there, but that’s the result of my work with my ‘04 King. I still love that bike.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts